Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 walking across deer trails >

walking across deer trails

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

walking across deer trails

Old 06-21-2004, 08:06 PM

Default walking across deer trails

i have been reading a lot of different articles and i was wondering what everyone thinks about walking across game trails. i hunt the top of a mountain and i can't walk into my stand with the wind in my face and i have to walk across the deer trail to my stand. once in stand, the wind takes my scent away from most deer. i wear rubber boots and scent pads with general doe urine on them. would i burn out my area because i walk across this trail? thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: walking across deer trails

so you are saying that you are just crossing the path of a deer trail?? i have never heard of someone being concerned about it. i do it everyday on the way to my stand and still see deer within shooting range. i even walk along deer trails without problems. i think you should be fine. i usually spray sent away on my boots before i go into the woods and spray my clothes down before i put them on.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:27 PM

i also forgot to say its a couple bucks rub line too. i think the reason that i got my buck this year was because i stayed off the top of the mountain until the rut, but now that i know its a good stand, i don't want to spook any deer by walking across the trail. i am pretty strick on scent control and all the articles say to find a stand with easy entrance and exit thats why i am concerned...thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 08:55 PM

In my opinion it's almost impossible to get to a treestand placed in a good location with alot of deer activity without crossing a trail. I have crossed them many times and have seen deer cross my trail after I'm in my stand without detecting my scent. I also wear rubber boots with my clothing tucked inside and spray with alot of scent killer.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I can't give you much advice on trails except that I have never had a problem. Then again they aren't called trails where I hunt they call'em highways. I would screw up my choice places before the rut. The big ones don't like to show themselves until they have pootang on their mind.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:06 PM

It is impossible to get to a treestand placed in a location with alot of deer without crossing a trail. I have never had a problem seeing deer from any of my stands.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear rubber boots with scent spray and I have to actually walk right down a deer trail to get to my stand. Usually the deer come from the opposite way, however I witnessed the biggest buck I have everseen walk right down the exact trail I stepped foot on two hours earlier.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as your spraying your rubber boot's with a scent away and then put some coon or fox urine there will be absolutely no problem . I use this tactic when i go out ,but as the guy's say it's almost impossible not to cross a trail while going or coming from your treestand.

nubo
Old 06-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP...you're going to cross some... at least ones you didn't know about. When I know they're there I try to step over not in. Some deer are just super keen when it comes to smelling trouble. I've had deer come unglued hours after I crossed a spot and have had other oblivious to my passing 10 minutes after I did it.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 AM

So long as you do your part to stay scent free you should be okay.