Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting and killing deer is easy; like arcade shooting.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Hunting and killing deer is easy; like arcade shooting.

....only in the "glitched" minds of the "tree-huggers" and the "Bambi" people.

During my many years of bowhunting Whitetail, I learned a very long time ago that regardless of how hard you try to deceive and/or remain undetected, the Whitetail always hold the best hand.

This past weekend, while out at the farm and hunting area, I witnessed a big Whitetail buck show me why he is a big buck. I thought I would pass the tale to the new shooters so that they understand what they are up against, and that the best and costliest gear available, and all forthcoming skills, will never be enough to always win the contest.

It was 8:00 PM in the evening with about one hour of sunlight left. The sunlight that was still present was bright and visibility was clear for miles. Although it was a dead-still day, there was an almost undetectable air current blowing from the north-west to the south-east. However, the air movement was so mild I had to use cigarette smoke to detect that there was any air movement. The sounds of the cicadas and the birds were slightly hindering the ability…. my ability.... to detect lesser and distant sounds.

I was standing in the front yard of the farm and looking out to a large soybean field that runs north from the position I was standing. The soybean filed is bordered by a continuous run of timber on both sides of the field. About 100 yards out from my position, the ground abruptly slopes downward to the soybean field, putting the field about 40 yards lower than the elevation the farmhouse sits on.

Approximately 1500 yards out from my position, I observed a deer come out of the east timberline. The spot that the deer emerged from immediately indicated to me that the deer was most likely the huge buck that lives in the area, named by me as "Big Foot." The reason I thought it might be him was that he emerged from the very spot near where I know he beds in the middle of a large fall, just inside the thick timberline.

I retrieved my b'nocs and confirmed that the deer was a buck, and indeed was "Big Foot." Although he was sporting a mass of velvet, I could tell by his massive, but still growing, headpiece that he was the "Foot."

I watched him head north and slightly angling west, putting his nose into the slow moving air current. He was occasionally browsing off grasses but he was covering ground at a steady pace. In no time at all, he rounded the tip of a large swath of grass that runs through the field and now was absolutely no less than 2000 yards from me, in the lower elevation.

I decided to test his alertness and began to do some throat grunts. The volume I was reaching would have been difficult for a human to detect at about 60 yards from me. On the fourth or fifth grunt, I saw the buck freeze, throw his head up, and look my way… 2000 yards+ away. I then witnessed why he is a big and mature buck. In seconds, he turned back towards the way from where he came. In leaps and bounds, he rapidly covered about 700 yards of ground and disappeared back into the timberline from where he originally emerged, and where the large fall is that he beds in.

I was relating the story to my hunting partner the next day and asked him if he thought that all the deer kills we have made over the years was due to our hunting skills, or just an unlucky day for the deer.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting and killing deer is easy; like arcade shooting.

great story. thats why its rare to see the big guys
Old 06-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

as the old guy used to tell me when i was little:

"they don't get that big by being stupid"

that is a good point whether that was just a bad day for the deer. that'll make you think
Old 06-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

very good post!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a cool story but I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here........a buck heard you softly throat grunt from roughly 1 1/4 MILES away!? Over a mile?
Are you sure it wasn't just a coincidence that he picked his head up at that moment and was fixed on something somewhere BEWTEEN you 2 that he didn't like? Maybe an unseen Coyote that you couldn't see?

I agree that big deer are amazing animals, but I don't think that they quite have superpowers........cripes that deer would be able to hear your bowel sounds or your heart beat from 20 yards away.(Well depending upon what I ate that day anyway Any closer and it could read your mind.

Seriously........you really think that buck reacted to your modest presence from well over a mile away? If that's the case you better start working on your smell proof sound chamber that triples as an Inviso hunting blind.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:53 PM

MAtt/PA:

I did not "grunt" softly, but I I did not do so loudly. The sound had pitch. And I have no doubt that he reacted to me.

You have to consider the terrain and weather conditions as described. No doubt, the terrain acted as a pipe for the sound, and the hardwoods and valley reverberated the sound.

Granted, the same type of situation taking place in the same type of terrain is obviously not common, however, even if you reduce the transmission of the sound via absorption or deflection by certain terrain features, what average range would you reduce their hearing ability to?

I have seen deer standing 300-400 yards away react to the sound of two hunters talking in low volume.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Impressive........I guess I never thought about the maximum range of their senses and what and how things affect them within that range. Not something I've actually attempted to quantify.
That just seemed like an awful LONG way off.
I know plenty of times I've been spotting deer in the summer at night or at dusk at 200 or 300 hundred yards and many times it takes multiple shrill whistles to get a buck to lift it's head for a peek at it's rack through the binos....so I guess the example of THOUSANDS of yards is simply something I have no experience with.
I'm not sure I know of a place here where I could even observe a deer from that distance.......I guess I'll have to be a little more quiet saying good bye to the wife before I head out hunting.......my closest spot is 2 miles away.

Man best of luck getting close to that animal though, if he reacts that negatively to your attempt at a deer vocalization , he's gonna love a treestand clank or a cough at 5:00 AM.[:-]
Old 06-16-2004, 08:42 PM

I dont think deer during the summer get spooked by a whole lot other than direct human presence and coyotes. The other nite, i was walking down my corn rows sneaking to the back plot looking for a group of bucks to glass. At 150, i saw the lead buck, i froze, and brought my binos up. the deer fed all the way up to 60 yards. i remained motionless, and the wind was blowing paralell to me and the deer. i didnt have any camo on whatsoever, and my rifle for shooting coyotes was up on its bipod beside. the mosquitoes were sucking me dry as i lowered myself to a kneeling position. one deer sensed movement, spooked, but stopped, as the buck with him looked around and started feeding again. i walked toward the group of 5, and they spooked wheen i hit 55 yards. within the week im going to have a tower constructed in the CRP grass about 500 yards away so i can watch them without them seeing me. Bucks arent very wary this time of year.

I doubt that buck spooked because of your grunts. More likely a coyote was betweeen him and yourself and the buck spooked. whitetails are sharp, but a buck could care less about grunts a mile away.

slayer
Old 06-17-2004, 02:28 AM

I am not prone to exaggeration, and I am not saying what I recently witnessed is the norm. I know that deer are supposed to be able to hear certain sounds of certain frequencies at great distances, however, I have always limited my concern of controlling scents and sounds to a few hundred yards range.

Was there a predator in the area that was not visible to me? Could have been; making what I observed a well-timed coincidence. However, since nothing other but what I observed is actually known, I opted to give the big buck his dues and stay with the admiration and awe I felt when I observed his alertness and his innate and immediate reaction to survival tactics.

Maybe I want the incident to be more as I saw it, being that the Whitetail and I have a long and joyful hunt and evade history, the history is a mental scrapbook of many good memories, and I want the Whitetail to be a bit mythical.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

...regardless of how hard you try to deceive and/or remain undetected, the Whitetail always hold the best hand.
Exactly. That is one of the reasons I never really understand all the arguments against some of our "technological advances". No matter what you throw at them deer always seem to find a way to outsmart the hunter.

I definitely believe the story you related. Incidents like that happen all the time where I hunt. The deer are accustomed to humans since it is a relatively suburban/rural area but if there is a sound or smell even slightly out of place then you won't be seeing them again for some time in that spot.

Quick Reply: Hunting and killing deer is easy; like arcade shooting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.