Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BH report from Africa..Wasp vs Thunderhead >

BH report from Africa..Wasp vs Thunderhead

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BH report from Africa..Wasp vs Thunderhead

Old 06-15-2004, 03:52 PM

Default BH report from Africa..Wasp vs Thunderhead

Hello hunters!! I just returned for a two week plains game bow hunt in South Africa. It was unbelievable and an experience that is life changing.

I changed my arrow and BH set up specifically for this trip. I had been told that the African critters are much tougher than their North American cousins. I must say the reports are true...these guys are tough! I shot a gemsbok, a kudu, an impala, a wildebeest, and a duiker. My set up was a Martin Magnum 63lbs with 450 grain arrow and BH. My BH was the Wasp SST 3 blade 125 grain. My bow was shooting at 230fps.

My hunting partner was shooting a very similar set up. He had a Bow Tech at 63 lbs 440 gr arrow and broadhead. He was shooting 125gr Thunderheads. I don't know his speed.

I had total pass throughs on every animal I shot (kudu, wildebeest, gemsgok, impala, duiker). The duiker is a very small animal and the impala is white tail deer sized. The kudu, gemsbok, and wildebeest are elk size animals and tough as nails.

My buddy shooting the Thunderheads did not have pass throughs on his wildebeest, kudu, blesbok, or warthog. He switched to 125 gr Wasps SSt's mid -way through the hunt. He shot another wildebeest (pass through), another kudu (pass through) and waterbuck (pass through)

I'm not saying that Wasp is better than Thunderhead. But is it a mere coincidence that all of the Wasps passed through every African animal it hit and the Thunderhead did not go through any of the big animals. I know there are many factors that contribute to arrow penetration but man this was 100% each way.

I used to believe that all the BH's were pretty much the same but this African trip gave me a unique opportunity to see first hand the difference. I can say that the Wasp SST's are deadly.

I'd post a picture but I don't know how
Old 06-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BH report from Africa..Wasp vs Thunderhead

I'm not saying that Wasp is better than Thunderhead. But is it a mere coincidence that all of the Wasps passed through every African animal it hit and the Thunderhead did not go through any of the big animals

Yes, I would say it was. Based on the looks of both broadheads. What could Wasp possibly do to their broadhead (which looks alot like a copy of Muzzy) that would increase their odds by that much?

But if I am ever in Africa I will remember that. Thats only if my Montec G-5's fail on me.