Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer CoCain??

Old 06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer CoCain??

does anybody use deer CoCain?? have you found it to be more attractive to deer than regular salt blocks? what have you found to work the best between the powder concentrate, liquid, or the time release block? thanks for the info

Shootem
Old 06-15-2004, 11:44 AM

Default RE: Deer CoCain??

I use the powder, you get more for your BUCK . The deer aroud here really tear it up. they dig holes as big as 4 foot around and 2 to 3 foot deep getting it up out of the ground. In my opinion the CoCain powder or the liquid gets faster results than the block or even salt.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

It works great here in PA for me , the deer dig monster freakin holes where i put it ... i usually put it out about a month before season here , thats all your allowed , and they still dig up and eat the dirt up until and including season! it seeps into the ground and they literally eat the dirt for it! I have only seen one small doe ever actually come to it , but the holes left at it tell me more come at hours wehn im not around! id recommend it!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:21 AM

The stuff works great. I put the powder cocain mixed with water into an old rotted stump and the deer actually ate the stump to the ground to get to it. The deer wore a trail that looked more like a cow path from an overgrown bedding area to get to this spot. I never saw any good bucks during shooting light but from the cam tracker pics, they were visiting it during the night. However, I have seen does and fawns visit it during daylight hours. I would highly recommend it. I have also started using the Vita rack minerals with good success. A 25 lb bag will make a huge site or several smaller sites on your property.
Good luck!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:53 AM

DoubleLung

Maybe you had a "typo" in your post but if not...Better read your hunting digest again - you have to STOP any mineral lick type stuff 30 days prior to the start of the season.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/p...egulations.pdf

2nd page - 2nd or 3rd paragraph on the left
Old 06-16-2004, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope I am not assuming, but if you are intending to use the product in the state of Illinois the following applies...It is now illeagal to feed deer in the state of Illinois at anytime, that includes mineral licks, Bait , food source of anytype etc.....you cannot legally place mineral licks or food or bait for the use of deer consumption this law was set in place to help to protect our deer herd from CWD etc... the only mineral licks that dont apply are the ones placed out for use by livestock...
Old 06-16-2004, 09:45 AM

We stopped using deer cocaine when the sporting goods store where we bought it stopped carrying it we asked the owner why he said a biologist told him that it had nothing in it that was benificial to the deer, and that the ingrediant that the deer got addicted to may even be harmfull. Buy mineral salt for livestock at a feed store it is cheaper and the deer benifit from it especialy the does when nursing fawns. Also be carefull hunting over licks I dont know about other states but I know a couple of hunters who thought it was safe because there was no visable salt. The game warden took a sample of the soil and gave them a ticket for hunting over bait because of the high salt content of the soil. Might want to check with your state,better safe than sorry
Old 06-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah DoubleLung, be VERY careful how you use that stuff in PA........if I'm not mistaken the laws are such that you pretty much have screwed up your hunting area by using it, because it is considered bait and it is illegal to hunt over bait. What makes it more difficult with the Deer CoCain type stuff is that the law also reads that no trace or contaminated soil can remain.
So basically if you are going to hunt over that location if there is still a trace left even though you haven't put any out for a month you can get nailed for it.
Basically you would have to remove all the treated soil........if a WCO comes across your CoCain holes I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.
Also I believe that you don't even need to be hunting directly over the bait site........if you are found to be within a certain distance on a trail leading to the bait (even if you claim you don't know about it) you are in trouble.
They get bear hunters for this every year here in PA.

If I were going to use Deer CoCaine here in PA it would be in an area just for viewing animals and not hunting.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA guys .... i dont use it in my hutning spots during season !!! i know the law lol dont get me wrong if it was legal i would , but i dont ... i put it out by the barn sometimes in the season to see whats around , but in the summer it goes in the woods , not by stands , but usually around our food plots and stuff , and noone hunts within atleast 200 ards from the food plot! that is my dads rule! you guys have nothing to worry about , i know the rule , and its not anywhere near my hunting locations!!!!! Sry for making it sound like it is!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

lady forge,

i am not calling you a liar, but where did you come across this information??

thanks,
Shootem

Quick Reply: Deer CoCain??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.