Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you guys do?...New farm. >

What would you guys do?...New farm.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you guys do?...New farm.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What would you guys do?...New farm.

Always Good news........I received written permission this past winter on a couple of sweet new farms to bowhunt for this season in my home county. I have scouted a few times already since early March and apparently by the sign I am finding they are crawling with deer that appear to be easy to pattern.
Yippie right!?

Bad News......South Central PA is also crawling with hunters that are just as easy to pattern, and I just found out from a tenant on the best looking farm that somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 4-6 other hunters also bowhunt these properties .[&o]

The good spots are obvious, almost too obvious and I guess I am moving in on someone elses "turf".

The guy was no help with names of these hunters, and I found no other stands hanging in my travels last weekend.
I am chomping at the bit to hang a few stands ASAP and get out.........Do I need to feel like I should take a backseat to these guys who have been hunting there? or should I just "have at it" and treat the property as mine since I have every right to be there?
If I hang stands where I want to it's going to obviously force somebody's hand.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:23 PM

Default RE: What would you guys do?...New farm.

If you have "written permission", are we to assume that "written permission" is required? If so, then the other hunters should be known to the Landowner, who could/should supply you with their names. If they're not on the 'list', they should be ******ed to the 'door'.

If "written permission" is NOT required in general, you've got some problems.[:@]
Old 06-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

If "written permission" is NOT required in general, you've got some problems.
Len,
Yep, that I do know.......[&o] The search for who actually has permission is officially in progress as we speak. I hate to think of the war on my hands if they DON'T belong there.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do I need to feel like I should take a backseat to these guys who have been hunting there? or should I just "have at it" and treat the property as mine since I have every right to be there?
You already know the answer. Treat them the same way you would expect to be treated if you had been there and they were the newcomers.
Plain ol' hunting ethics!

If they dont show any hunting ethics then it's time to kick a** or chew bubble gum.
What ya gonna do?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

Matt,
Is the property "Posted"?
If not that is the first thing I might do, often times this is just enough "scare" to keep the poachers and tresspassers off the property.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would immagine that if the tennant knows that they are hunting there the land owner probably does too. Try to find out who they are but I wouldn't wait until the week before the season starts to hang your stands just because you want to be respectful. Give it a good honest effort to find out who they are and contact them. If for some reason that you can't then pick your spots and hang your stands. If you get there before they do then that's not your fault that they procrastinated.

I wouldn't go around posting someone elses property just because you have permission to hunt it. If they wanted it posted they would have done it.

An idea you might consider if you don't find out who they are and you do end up hanging some stands it to photo copy and laminate your "permission slip" and attach it to your stands in a conspicuous place letting them know that you do indeed have permission to be there. You may leave some contact information as well. It may help avoid having your stands removed or stolen if they do have permission as well.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much land are we lookin' at here?If it's a good chunk of land i'd try to set up where the deer will travel after they pattern the other hunters(escape route) and go from there.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't completely discount the possibility that the tenant is giving you bad info. on the number of hunters that use the prooperty. He may know a guy that hunts there, and could be trying to steer you away. Just a thought.

I would also look at escape routes deer will take, and keep a few of those in your back pocket.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:33 AM

Look around for other signs of hunters. If others are hunting the area - you may be able to find the whereabouts.

1 Pieces of surveyors tape leading to theses spots.

2 In the "obvious" areas - look for trees that have holes from treesteps or scuffed bark from climbers.

3 Go in just before daylight and look for bright-eyes trails to these spots.

4 Ground blinds.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, a concerted effort should beable to run them down for you. I'd try again. As far as other hunters. You can only be in one place at a time. The other hunters will more than likely be predictable by the deer too. Put that to your use and figure out what the deer will do when pressured. Where are they going to go. Sometimes the worst looking spot can be the best. I'd consider the other hunters my pushers and go from there. Until I get to know them I think I'd lock everything I leave in the woods and maybe even include a baggie with a copy of your permission slip inclosed so they know you are a poacher.

Quick Reply: What would you guys do?...New farm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.