Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

got a new bow

Old 06-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default got a new bow

i got myself a new bow , it's a bowtech stalker model with a 60 lbs. peak weight , with a cobra sidewinder wrapped fiber optic site , and a quickee quiver , and i got some carbon fiber arrows as well ,

i've been thinking however about getting a hip quiver instead of using the quicky quiver , i was told that when you site in and have arrows in the quiver , for each arrow you add or remove can change your point of impact.

any thoughts guys , this is my third bow but , i'm getting into bow more seriousely than before and my older bows that i have i'm told are out dated and slow ( martin m-1 tiger compound ,70 lbs. peak weight , ) ( bear compound , 80 lbs. peak )

any thoughts , or tips , and or suggestions are very appreciated
Old 06-13-2004, 09:28 PM

Default RE: got a new bow

whelen36 Iv been bow huting for 20 years and if I shoot with a quiver on my bow I do it all the time if I shoot with it off I take it off all the time but that quick quiver for about 15 years now and I love them thingif yu sit in with it on your bow then lev it on if not you mit be off a littel I put mine on my bow going and coming but take it off in the stand if Im staking I put my belt thouw it on my back ps Iv got three old martin bow's and one is relly old but I would 'nt care to hunt anything with any of them thats way I steel have;em good luck
Old 06-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Having a quiver mounted to your bow does generally affect the shooting of the bow for any given individual. Without a bubble level I find myself canting the bow towards the quiver side because of the extra weight. As ky mentioned above, if you are going to hunt with a quiver on then practice with it on and then you will not have anything to worry about.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you practice with the quiver on fill the quiver except leave out one arrow just like you were hunting and you've got the first arrow out of the quiver ready to shoot(i usually just keep some old arrows in the quiver for practice that way the weight remains the same for every shot)then just carry my practice arrows with me and set 'em on the ground or lean on a tree.I do this so my bow weight isn't always changing from shot to shot --it keeps the bow weight constant on every shot and putting all the arrows back in the quiver and taking them out for every shot only wears out the quiver faster.jmo.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info guys ,

another question ,
when i practice , i was thinking about trying shooting from a tree stand down to a ground level target , ( trying to simulate tree stand hunting conditions ) and to find out where my bow will put the arrow . is this a good idea , or is there an easier or better way ?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:37 PM

Excellent idea Whelen. I'm sure you'll find that most of the guys on here do the same things in their back yards! Personally I'm packing a 3D target to my elk stand this weekend for a little practice there before I NEED to be out of there for September. I'll do the same for my deer stand(s) when I get it/them hung soon.