HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tuneing trouble (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/63227-tuneing-trouble.html)

JimBow 06-09-2004 05:48 PM

Tuneing trouble

I have a Mathews Q2xl and have been shooting it for a little over a year and CAN NOT get my broadheads to group with my field points. I am shooting muzzy 100 grain and they want to strike low and right .This is what I did so far ,

1st I picked up a muzzy zero effect, I thought this would do it for sure. Nope

2nd I bought a laser tuner that bolts in place on the riser via the sight mounting holes that is suppoused to give you perfect arrow alignment. No help here.

3rd I used a level kit to get a perfect 90 off the string, still nothing.

4th I decided it has to be the arrows so I pick up a dozen axis arrows. I couldn't wait to try them out and watch the problem go away and to my gleefull surprise, no help.

Right now every thing is centered according to the tools I indicated. With every thing "perfect" my arrows still hit right 4-6 inches at 20 yrds with broad heads. What's would you suggest? Thanks in advance Jim

buckeye 06-09-2004 05:52 PM

RE: Tuneing trouble

Whats your DL and poundage?

What spine arrows are you shooting?

What size and configuration of feathers / vanes are you using?

nub 06-09-2004 07:50 PM

I stepped away from my Mathews for a while. I picked it up again recently to finalize it for my backup bow.(good thing too! another story[:@]) I have to say, that dang grip is the pits. Just think about the thing and poof!, there goes an arrow. If your positive, totally positive everything else is dead nuts on, try removing it for a while. Just how good are your field tip groups? Are they oblong, in a line, or circular? How many in a group and what do they measure?

JimBow 06-09-2004 08:11 PM

I figured more info would be needed, here it is: 70lbs of draw @30" draw length. Arrows are 29" axis 340's with three four inch feathers with a fairly hard right handed helical.

I am a little rusty since I haven't been shooting in a while but after I got warmed up I was cutting feathers when I was shooting broadheads. I can maintain 1 or 2 inch 3 shot groups with things set up as they are now.

Thanks

BOWFANATIC 06-09-2004 08:31 PM

Actually JimBow , it looks like you've done everything but tune your bow. The lazer is a pretty fancy tool for just a starting point. Personally I'd go back and set my nock height 1/8" high and start shooting thru paper to see whats going on. It could be a number of things from incorrect spined arrows to hand torque. The paper tune should tell you whats wrong if you have a consistant grip. Do you spin check your arrows? In some cases I'd say just sight your bow in to your broadheads if their hitting consistantly , but with Muzzys I'm guessing something's wrong. I've always been able to get Muzzys to group with my field points.

HAZCON7 06-09-2004 09:41 PM

Unless you have boulder arms, I'd say lighten up on the poundage. That would improve your grip. And paper tune like bowfanatic said.

Rack-attack 06-10-2004 07:02 AM

Actually JimBow , it looks like you've done everything but tune your bow
Bingo! the arrows are telling you something - but you are not listening. tuning is an interactive process. All that "stuff" you did is useless if you do not "read what the arrow is doing. Move your nock point DOWN. and move your rest to the LEFT. If left doesn't do it move it to the RIGHT. See what the arrows are doing and work to get them to go where you want.

JimBow 06-10-2004 08:18 PM

So what your saying is perfectly centered isn't ideal. I've asked pro shops about paper tuning and read several articles on the subject. The pro shop people for the most part argue that paper tuneing isn't the big time tuneing aid people say it is. The articles I've read all vary in procedeure and most vary on the value of paper tuneing. Let me ask this, have all of you paper tuned? If so how did you do this. I'm sure you have all seen the wide range of paper tuneing procedures.
Also I'm a pretty big guy and have been shooting 70 lbs for a long time , If I was to lower my draw weight I would need new arrows also.
Thanks for the info so far.

CrazyBow 06-10-2004 08:37 PM

As someone said earlier papertuning tells you what the arrow is doing.Try it I will bet something is not just right.How did you set your center shot.My LX is 13/16 off the riser.I think my Feather Light is the same.I had the same problem with the Feather Light until I found out that a center shot guage is not the right way to do it.

davidmil 06-11-2004 04:29 AM

I was cutting feathers when I was shooting broadheads. I can maintain 1 or 2 inch 3 shot groups with things set up as they are now.
Am I missing something here. Most of us would die for 1-2 inch groups with broadheads. Those who say they're getting tighter with broadheads are forgetting the group that was 2 1/2. Most who say they would retune can't shoot 1 inch groups with fieldpoints on a regular basis.

Short of that.... buy a real bow.:D[8D]