Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting back into Shape... >

Getting back into Shape...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting back into Shape...

Old 06-08-2004, 10:35 PM

Default Getting back into Shape...

I am starting to get back into my exercise routine for this year’s bow season. I was wondering what are some of the things you do to get into shape?

For me, I run [:@], do sit-ups and push-ups and try lifting weights as much as possible.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Getting back into Shape...

I am a very strong proponent of proper conditioning. I have seen too many hunters over the years end up dying in the woods or becoming seriously ill by the sudden over-exertion hunting can cause. You simply cannot expect to do little or no exercise and then go out and try to haul a deer in from rugged terrain. That scenario is a recipe for disaster. Many people succumb to heart attacks each year because they are not in hunting condition. The same can be said for folks who are in poor shape to grab that snow shovel and proceed to shovel themselves into their own graves, so to speak. I strongly urge all hunters to gradually get into shape by doing some form of aerobic conditioning. That is, any of a number of activities such as: walking, jogging, stair climbing, bicycling, swimming, rowing, etc.. The key is to undertake the activity gradually and slowly but surely your heartbeat and respiration rate can be increased to the degree of conditioning required for strenuous activities like hunters must safely accomplish. Do yourself, your family and your fellow hunters a favor by getting in shape, staying in shape and incidently, remain warmer for longer periods of time due to your bodies increased circulation. A little weight training can be helpful but can also do serious harm if your heart and lungs are poorly conditioned. Again, it is that sudden stress caused by lifting heavy weights that can kill you. PLEASE HEED THIS MESSAGE!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i have been at it now for one month of training in the gym with the weights, i do cardio 4-5 times a week for 20-45 minutes depending on how i am feeling or too tired. But man i love that burn after you do a set on your chest or tri-ceps, nothing like it. Ill be able to carry a deer on my shoulders outta the woods this year
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM

I have been weight training for over 17 years and I can't stress how much it helps your shooting to be strong. Not only for your endurance when practicing but also during the hunt. I was in a situation were I had drawn on a buck and he stopped behind a bush at about 15 yards. If I would of let my draw down I probably would have been busted. I had to hold my draw for atleast 2 full minutes. When he stepped out I was able to take him. With out weight training there is know way I would have been able to pull off the shot. It is however important to build up your cardiovascular system before you start weight lifting. I am a conditioning nut and usually train 6 days a week 2 hours a day but 3 days a week of weight's and 3 days of cardio will help your shooting and conditoning alot
Old 06-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TURKEY FAN

Well i have been at it now for one month of training in the gym with the weights, i do cardio 4-5 times a week for 20-45 minutes depending on how i am feeling or too tired. But man i love that burn after you do a set on your chest or tri-ceps, nothing like it. Ill be able to carry a deer on my shoulders outta the woods this year

NO...you will not be able to carry a deer out of the woods over your shoulder. I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but I would like to think I'm stronger than average. I wish people would quit focusing on upper body and relaize how important lower body stregth really is. Hit the squat rack...do some damn dead lifts...then you may be able to get a deer over your shoulders and carry it out of the woods...yes, I can carry a deer over my shoulders. I speak from experience

J
Old 06-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

i pull my bow back a couple of times a day just whenever im bored and think about it. i hold as long as possible the last time i do it. i lift weights but that is for pitching but i imagine it also helps my endurance. i swim in the pool also.

my uncle who is strong as hell, doesnt do anything except shoot a couple of times a month. he works at keystone and gets all the work out he needs. he has held his bow at half draw for 5 whole minutes. he is always doing projects at home and stays in great shape.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:26 AM

I bench press 405 lbs. and weight 238 lbs. I have a very strong upper body, bis, tris, shoulders, back, but very weak legs. I always seem to skip leg day at the gym. Yes legs are the most important part of power, but I manage to do fine. Just call me chicken legs. Oh yeah I can throw a deer on my back with ease, but choose not to anymore because of the fear of being shot. I would definetly suggest getting in shape for archery just like jimpok68 said.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just had shoulder sergery 05-28-04 been bowhunting for along time. I really did not wont to get worked on but i could not put up with that pain any longer! so i did! I knew i would half to work harder without doing more damage to my self I am droping my draw wait down and having to go to physical therapy it seems to be working! what is really cool is my doctor bowhunts. He knows how much i love bowhunting and told me that i would be back to 110% and no pain! before season starts
Old 06-11-2004, 03:17 PM

You really cannot skimp on the preseason training. I tend to do the basics, chest, tris, shoulders, and biceps, but I also have really started to focus on my back, arms, and legs. I have found as I get older my knees start to bother me after walking on uneven terrain. So I started doing lighter excercises for my legs that work the stabilizer muscles around my knees. I really feel this has helped my overall conditioning. As mentioned above, a good cardio a few times a week also really helps. Imagine stalking a deer and getting busted because you are panting too hard.

Redneck
Old 06-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the best thing you can do for cardiovascular training is hiking in the mountains its easy on the joints and great for the heart and lungs. I have a degree in kinesiology, and am certified as a personal trainer, but have yet to find any cardiovascular workout in a gym as demanding as 2 or 3 thousand feet straight up the Hells Canyon mountains with a 65 lb pack on your back! They call it Snake River tough. In all seriousness though...any cardiovascular work your doing is important and essential to your wellness.

As for strength training, I too am a long time weight trainer and feel it really helps in lifting and packing and shooting my bow. But excessive muscle can take it's toll on endurance. Make sure you incorperate both anaerobic and aerobic specific lifts and reps and sets for the kind of goals you are targeting. Arms and Chest are always fun to work! "CURLS to impress the GIRLS! " Thats nice but the pretty girls won't be dragging your 20 inch arms and your chicken legs up these mountains out west. If you live in flat land, I wouldn't think you would need as much cardiovascular and leg training for your hunting needs. So do all the arm curls ya want!

I have noticed when I have had friends out hunting, including a few fellas from this site. If they come from flat country, they immediately comment on the steep country and elevation here and are usually commenting while breathing pretty hard.

4 days of strength training and 3 days of cardio would be a nice split if you have the time. If anyone would like me to help them devise an exercise perscription I would be glad to help out. I can help with diet and nutrition as well and keep it age and goal appropriate. PM me anytime concerning this stuff.

Shed

Quick Reply: Getting back into Shape...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.