Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Swimming deer

Old 06-08-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Swimming deer

Was fishing yesterday in an inlet creek from Lake Ontario, in NY. This creek, swamp, land borders one of my favorite bow hunting sites. I was just about to cast once and I caught some movement and noise to my right and upstream. Turning slowly I saw some of my herd swimming and frollicking at 200 yds.. I just put the pole down and had a good lesson in whitetail activity. After about a 10 minute swim the 3 deer ambled out and grazed for about 30 minutes amongst the cattails. It sure was a nice way to pass the time and dream of the coming fall. Buggers just love the swamps with their great potential for water, feed and great cover. Only thing I don;t enjoy is hauling the bloody brutes outta there 2nd home.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Swimming deer

I live in CT on long island sound & theres a bunch of small islands off shore. Theyre between 1/2 & 1 1/4 mile out & deer swim across regularlly. Found it hard to believe untill I saw it in person.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

At this time of year with all the bugs... I've seen them just lay down in the water. In Colorado one summer a few years ago I caught about 8 elk just standing in this mountain pond. They were in deep enough that their backs barely broke the surface. Got them away from the biting critters and cooled them off.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Never seen it but know it happens. I was told it was illegal to shoot one swiming.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:10 AM

That reminds me that I witnessed one once before swim directly across a nearby lake. It was about 15 years ago and my only other encounter with swimming deer. In that instance I saw him swim about 3/4 of a mile, amble off and into the woods.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

My hunting partner witnessed a huge buck swim across the Wabash River from the Illinois side to the Indiana side a few years ago. 2 years ago I was on stand not far from the river bank and 7 does came up the bank and shook the water off like a dog.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jimpok!Whether you caught any fish or not I'm sure that made your day.I've never seen deer swim but have experienced a moose swimming in a lake .

nubo
Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

that would have been neat to see
Old 06-09-2004, 08:38 PM

On a lake by our house there are 3 islands and they are loaded with deer. In the winter we chased like 25 off. And fishing in the summer we see deer and their fawns by shore. They just swim back and forth.

Quick Reply: Swimming deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.