Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ladder stands

Old 06-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default ladder stands

was thinking of buying my first ladder stand. i saw a nice 15 ft one at dicks. my question is, should i go online and buy a 20 ft model. this ladder stand will be for bowhunting during october only. do i need the extra 5 feet? after that-its gun season for nov and december.btw- i have never bowhunted out of a ladder stand.

thnaks
Old 06-07-2004, 08:17 AM

Default RE: ladder stands

I just put up my new 20 foooter to replace the 15. The extra 5 feet is crucial for sent and movement. I hated the 15 footer the whole time I was in it.

Ladder stands are great because they are safe and comfortable.You definatly would not regret the 20 footer. By the time you stand up you are shooting at like 24 feet, its nice.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Sometimes when I am in my ladder stand, I am only 8 - 12 feet off the ground, depending on which sections I bring. As long as you have plenty of background cover to help hide movement and use the wind in your favor with plenty of cover scent, you can get by closer to the ground. I have taken several deer from only about 10 ft up as long as you take the proper precautions. Good Luck!
Old 06-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 15 and it's OK. But let me tell you that it's not just slap one against a tree and hunt from it. You have to pick the right tree, try to put the stand up, then take it down, trim some branches, put it back up again, try to climb up the ladder to secure the belt, finally get it secure, trim some more, cut some shooting lanes, and now your ready to hunt.[&:] With a 20 footer I believe it would be even more work. I don't hunt a piece of level ground.[] While this is great for deer, it can be a pain for putting up ladder stands. Do I like them? Yep. But just remember, nothings as easy as they say it is. Oh, by the way, did I tell you that Uncle Murphy lives with me.[&o]

I'll also be hunting more from the ground this year.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:44 AM

I have a 12 foot grizzly and also a 16 foot Rivers Edge. I have taken just as many deer from the 12 footer as the 16 footer. like the others said it is mainly stand placement. I have taken deer with bow out of the 12 footer at 10 and 15 yards with no problem.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:59 AM

Well if you have good background you can get away with a 15 footer , but I hunt pines with no branches and the extra 5 feet gets me more out deer view for movement.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on where you hunt, and how high you like to go. If you have the 20' stand and you only need to go up 15'...leave a section at home. If you know you'll never go over 15' then you don't need the 20' model.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Dick's sell an additional 5 foot section for that stand for $20-$25.
Get the 15 footer and if it is not tall enough, get the other 5 feet.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:54 AM

That 15 footer might be fine early in the year but wait until the leafs fall. You stick out like a sore thumb unless you have the perfect tree. Always wan't to have the ability to climb high.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:28 PM

my ladder stand is 'permanent' i wouldn't bring it with me, put it up, and get in it to hunt for anything - putting it up and getting the seat up there will break you out in a big time sweat.

Quick Reply: ladder stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.