HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What if any survival gear do you carry in your pack? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/62150-what-if-any-survival-gear-do-you-carry-your-pack.html)

Mike from Texas 05-25-2004 09:34 PM

What if any survival gear do you carry in your pack?

Just wondering if you carry any survival gear in your pack? I just read a great article in the July issue of Petersens Bowhunting outlining the minimum recommendations. I have just about everything they mention except a space blanket and a water purifier of some sort.

bobcat 10 05-25-2004 10:55 PM

RE: What if any survival gear do you carry in your pack?

i carry a compass,(soon i will have gps),waterproof and windproof matches,my knife,fishing line,band aids,toolet paper;),razor blade,small bottle of peroxide,emergency tape,flares,glow sticks,few other small things.....;)

bow_huntr 05-26-2004 12:31 AM

I dont feel the need to bring an extreme amount of survival gear becase I just dont hunt on a large expanse of land. If I where to say go chase elk in the mountains, or go to Canada or Alaska hunting on thousands of acres in the roughest country out there I would bring a map and compass and thoroughly study it. I just dont see the need to have gps and all that satelite positioning stuff when I can be just as well readied with a map and compass. As for other items I would take an extra knife,sterilizing agent, flares, smoke, .44 mag pistol, parachute cord, mirror,whistle, exta radio, high energy bars, pur tablets, emergency blanket, waterproof torch lighter, gauze pads, sewing kit, air horn(:D), and many other items that would definately be taken. Some of those things I mentioned would be taken depending on the situation. And of course TP, dont wanna take chances with the leaves. Oh and a well stocked first aid kit. A GPS would be very good at contacting medical help much more than just flares,smoke, or a average radio. I never know, I might end up getting that Rhino system one of these days! Good luck and be safe.

kelincp 05-26-2004 01:30 AM

i hunt a fairly populated area, but I still carry a few things.
2 film cansiters one with matches and one with petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, my knife, 2 granola bars, and a frs radio.
Also I have the advantage of a wife who knows to call my hunting buddies if I don't show up.
I saw a show once were this hunter fell out of a tree and was all messed up. The wife and son called the cops well after dark but they didn't know were to look. Finally a day later the kid figured out to call his dads hunting buddy to find out where he likes to set up. My wifes response was reassuring she said in the begining of the show "why don't they call his buddy". She also knows by heart the FRS radio Freqs I use. A good wife can save your butt!

CBM SC 05-26-2004 06:08 AM

Wow........!!

Besides the stuff I need to hunt with.....I carry a lighter ........and I thought I was going over board !;):D

wesleykey 05-26-2004 06:16 AM

Compass, matches, maybe a small first aid kit. Cell phone.

adams 05-26-2004 07:12 AM

I only carry the bare essentials. A compass is most important to me followed by a map and water proof matches. I also carry a GPS. To me anymore that this is overkill. If I can't get out of the woods or survive a night out with this and my hunting equipment I deserve to die out there.[:-]

silentassassin 05-26-2004 07:13 AM

I carry a compass and a cell phone!

texasaggiebowhunter 05-26-2004 07:22 AM

My survival gear is pretty simple. I carry a two way radio and my wife has the other one on in the our ranch house. I get in trouble I call her, or if i get hungry on the stand and im not seeing anything, I call for a sandwich.

Matt / PA 05-26-2004 08:02 AM

Everywhere I hunt in PA I get cell phone service, and I don't think I hunt any area where I could be lost for more than about 5 minutes..........That and always wearing my full body harness when treestand hunting pretty much covers me for the harsh wilderness that is south central Pennsylvania.
;)

Now if I hunted out west or in Canada?........I might pick up a few things.:)