Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why do you hunt??? >

Why do you hunt???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you hunt???

Old 02-21-2002, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Why do you hunt???

BOWFANATIC started a thread in the whitetail forum and knowing some of you never go there I though I would run this up the flagpole here. Here are my reasons:

Topic

BOWFANATIC
Rack Buck

appleton,wi
USA
360 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 03:06:58

As I'm sure every hunter has or will be asked this question by someone eventually...why do you
hunt? I'm asked this question by my wife at least once a year and I have'nt been able to give her
that special answer that makes her understand.(she's not anti-hunting) Anyway there seems to be
alot of great writers here (whether you realize it or not) and I'd like everyone to answer this
question the best way you know how as if your trying to make a non-hunter understand. Here's
the kicker! After we have a ton to choose from , I want to do a poll to pick the best one. When we
pick our favorite , I'm going to send it in to Wisconsin Outdoor News to be published (They will
publish it , just ask Tazman) so I'd like you to start it the way I did by stateing that your trying to
answer the age old question asked by non-hunters(why we hunt?) And if you wouldn't mind
haveing it published , put your name at the bottom with permission to publish.
Oh yeah , I'll probably use the best one when I answer my wife this year

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
cardeer
Life Member

11548 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 03:21:28

I hunt cause I was born a predator and cant help it.I started when I was 7 ,cause I lived on a farm
and it fed us.Your wife hunts and dont even realize it.When she goes to the grocery store she is a
predator seeking meat for the nourishment of her family. That aint no different then what you
do.My mouth is watering right now just thinking about sinking my teeth into a piece of
venison.E-mail Tazman and ask him to send you the letter he just sent to his newspaper about
hunting.That will help you.Im to crude to give a answer with flowers.
BOWFANATIC
Rack Buck

appleton,wi
USA
360 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 03:32:05

The letter Tazman wrote will be published in Wisconsin Outdoor News , March 1st issue.

rtread
Non Typical

Deep in the heart of....,Texas
USA
1689 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 04:11:40

I realized a while back that if I catch myself answering the question "Why do you hunt?" then I am
in a defensive posture and I think the very fact that I am in that posture is unwarranted. I didn't
ask the other party why they choose NOT to hunt. I didn't ask them why they drive a Ford pick-up
when I know good and well Dodge pick-ups are better! I didn't tell them to put their damn cigarette
out cause it's gonna kill them....etc., etc.
BOWFANATIC
Rack Buck

appleton,wi
USA
360 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 05:01:03

I didn't intend this to turn into a "why do we hunt?" thread to be answered defensively. My
intentions were to enlighten those non-hunters to why we hunt in a way that they would completely
understand what we get out of it. Include every heart thumping , adrenaline rushing aspect of the
hunt that keeps you a hunter. Some will understand enough to keep them from joining the
anti-hunters , others may be so intrigued that they decide to try it themselves. The publication I
plan to send it to has just as many non-hunter subscribers as hunters.

Mark whiz
Rack Buck

Cocoa,FL
USA
223 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 05:02:21

cardeer is exactly right!

Man is, by nature, a preditor and a carnivore. That's the way God made us and personally, I'm real
happy about that!

Yes.... I enjoy time spent in the great outdoors. Yes.......I enjoy watching wildlife in its own
element. Yes....I even enjoy (a LOT) just plain shooting. But most of all.....I enjoy the killing of
game - the satisfaction of exercising our God given command to "rule over the beasts of the field"
and the satisfaction of feeding my family with this bounty from the Lord's provision.
CAPT BRAD
Rack Buck

ALEXANDRIA,VIRGINIA
USA
173 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 05:13:38

I hunt because I like to. And I'm fortunate to live in a country that allows it. Have you seen that
commercial where the guy is sneeking out of bed and his wife hear's him and says "Hunting again".
When my wife saw that, she said "Yes stupid, and he will go again tomorrow. And the next day.
And the next day. Get used to it." Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Coolerpup
Spike

Laurel,De.
USA
80 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 05:23:58

I hunt because it is a family tradition. My father and his father and so forth grew up hunting, so it
has been passed down through generations. We enjoy the opportunity to go out and spend time
with each other without the hassles of daily living. The minute we step in the woods, we leave all the
worlds troubles behind.
It enables me to use the knowledge God and my dad have given me to be able to go out and
provide fresh table fare for my family, without the worries of "chemicals and additives" used in the
processing of meats you find in the stores.

AllenC
ShortHair
Monster Buck

Evans,Georgia
USA
719 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 05:50:58

My wife was raised properly by a father who hunted. So I have no trouble from her.

But for anyone else that would ask the answer is simple: I get hungry!

Tazman
Life Member

Fredericksburg,Virginia
USA
3486 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 06:22:28

Oh Lord...... BOWFANATIC you have done it now. Man I could write a book on it, but I know I am
way to wordy. Give me a few days and I will see what I can come up with.

The Tazman
CharlieNY
Fawn

Auburn, New York, US
36 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 07:00:58

Why do I hunt? I hunt because the best times of my life have been spent hunting with some of my
family and friends who mean the most to me, and the memories are deeply treasured by me to this
day. As a young boy, I was taken hunting by my 2 best friends at the time, my dad and my beagle
"King". I would look so forward to going out rabbit hunting with dad and King. We shared our love
of the outdoors together and it brought us closer together. As I was growing up, other kids around
me were getting into drugs, and I got into hunting. I loved my dad dearly and grew to respect and
honor him. As I grew into a man, I continued to share great times hunting with dad. Dad passed
away some 15 yrs. ago and I truly miss our days together. The last photo I have of dad was taken
when we were out deer hunting 2 weeks before he died. At that time, I had a 2 year old son named
Chuckie. When Chuckie became a young boy, I took him rabbit hunting with me and my beagle
"Tucker". Chuckie fell in love with hunting as I had as a young boy, and we have grown together.
Chuckie is now 17 and is approaching manhood. We too share our love of the outdoors and our
love of each other. We too look so forward to spending time hunting together. If I had to ask
myself why do I hunt, I would pull out my photo album of past hunting trips and would look again
at the photos. I would see some happy photos of a dad and his young boy growing up, and
hunting together. As I went through the album I would see some happy photos of another dad and
his young boy growing up, and hunting together. You see, in the early photos I am the young boy,
and in the later photos, I am the dad. I treasure these times dearly. This is why I hunt.
buckhunter3
Non Typical

erie,pa
USA
1011 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 08:11:52

I hunt because it was passed on from one generation to another and so on.
My father was raised on a farm with his 4 other brothers.They helped raise dairy as well as beef
cattle.So they actually slaughtered cattle to sell and for food for themselves just as they did while
hunting.So when someone goes into a grocery store and buys beef it is from an animal that was
slaughtered.
In hunting of game the animal is harvested as quickly as possible.Not much difference then
slaughtering a cow but maybe more humane.It helped myself and 2 brothers to connect with our
father something I think we need more of today.
It also I think kept us away from drugs and alcohol being out in the wild with mother nature instead
of hanging on a street corner with nothing but time on our hands.For these reasons I can see
nothing wrong with hunting and have already passed it on to my son and hope he will also pass it
on to his generation.
fl.huntress
Life Member

,florida

2937 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 08:17:39

Why do we hunt? Watch a Lab as it goes afield to retrieve the waterfowl
and you'd understand a little bit better what goes on inside of all
hunters as they walk into the woods or onto the mud flats to set out
decoys, triggering in hunters irrepressible excitement and pleasure.
It's like quenching a thirst or scratching an itch.It seems to satisfy a deep human need.
Hunting is basic to our natures. As long as people have populated the earth
they have taken the lives of other species to feed themselves.
Hunting provides many pleasures including lifelong friendships.Every part of hunting has it's
pleasures , from
the planning , to the scouting , the hunt itself.It's a time we can
reflect on our lives , a time when we can be one with the land,the animals,reflect on the day,and
how great God truly is...whatever we want.We don't have to worry about phones ringing,paying
bills,doing errands,or snarling traffic all around us.Walking into the woods lets you leave the real
world behind and it opens a whole new world that never existed before hunting.
Most of y'all know that Huntnma(Casey)and I grew up with an anti father so we weren't introduced
to it until I met my husband almost 7 years ago.HM and I are twins but we NEVER (NEVER!!)got
along-24 years of hatred.It wasn't until we started to hunt that we became sisters and friends.
Hunting is in my soul and makes me the woman that I am today.
I'm proud to say that I'm a hunter.

Edited by - Fl.Huntress on 02/21/2002 08:19:43
BUCKINTHEWOODZ
Life Member

middleburg,FLORIDA
USA
3574 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 09:07:35

IT HERIDITARY.
shedmanpyro
Spike

stafford,virginia
USA
79 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 09:36:44

Men are hunters.Women are gatherers.

Taz was your article in the Free lance star?
Tazman
Life Member

Fredericksburg,Virginia
USA
3486 Posts
Posted - 02/21/2002 : 09:43:40

shedmanpyro they have not run it yet, hopefully soon, if not I will call and find out when.

BOWFANATIC I thought it would take me awhile to put down why I hunt, but when you are writing
from your heart it comes easily, here is why I hunt:

Why I hunt

Escape from the hustle and bustle of every day life. To walk, sit, or stalk through the woods and
fields and not hear a radio, TV, car, human voice or any other man made sound is the escape I seek
and find hunting. To be able to escape the sights and smells of the man made world and breath in
the cool crisp air of the outdoors. To smell the stench of a skunk, the dank odor of a swamp, the
aroma of freshly moved leaves exposing the soil that normally is always covered.

To regain what I feel many people have lost, the ability to be as one with nature. To simply sit in the
woods and drink it all in. When I sit in the dark of the woods and slowly tune in to the world, my
eyes see the outlines of trees, the brightness of the moon and the stars. I hear the breeze as it
gently moves through the forest, the gurgle of a stream, sounds of an unseen animal as it moves
through the woods. Slowly I tune in with my surroundings and become one with them.

Once I have become part of the natural order of things, I hear, smell, and see more than I did when
I slammed the alarm clock at 4AM. In the east I see a change, I feel a slight shift in the wind and
notice I hear far more activity than I did 5 minutes ago. I hear a rustling in the leaves to my left and
can make out the form of a raccoon going of to his den. There is an ever so slight brightness in the
eastern sky; in the distance I hear a doe bleat.

My senses awaken totally, with speed that is hard to believe unless you have seen it, the sun
breaks free from the horizon and light enters the darkness. Behind me I hear a twig snap, then
silence. Then I hear the honking of geese getting closer and louder, the honking eventually fills the
woods and I see a flock of geese flying to an unseen pond in the distance, the honking grows
weaker and eventually silence as they disappear in the distance.

My mind now tunes in on the snapping twig I heard behind me before the geese, again I hear the
doe bleat, it is closer than before and in front of me. I slowly scan the woods looking for that
movement, or the whiteness that screams deer. The doe bleats again and behind me I hear a grunt,
then several purposeful steps in my direction. I wet a finger, hold it up and reassure myself that the
wind is still blowing left to right. Suddenly I hear scratching and limbs being shaken, my eyes pick
up a squirrel as it starts on its way to eat breakfast.

My ears strain for the slightest sound behind me as I scan the woods, I can tell my heart is beating
a little faster and my breathing seems to be so loud I am sure it can be heard 30-40 feet away, I
know it can't, but it sounds like it. I hear slow purposeful steps behind me moving my way. I am
amazed how quietly an animal can move through dry leaves. Movement, in front of me I see a small
white patch moving my way through the laurels, slowly I am able to make out the form of the doe
through the limbs and can see her legs below the thick stuff. She straightens her neck and bleats
again, a grunt behind me and to the right!

The buck is coming to her from my right, I check the wind and realize I will have one chance to
outsmart this old boy. I slowly turn to my right; scanning the whole area I still do not see him. I feel
he is within 20-30 yards of me, but I see nothing. The doe continues slowly moving to my left, so I
know that the buck will be coming right by me to greet her. She bleats again.

I hear him break into a trot and spot him about 30 yards out to my right coming my way. I also
know that eventually he will wind me, my heart pounds in my chest when I see how massive his rack
is. I know my only chance is for him to enter my shooting lane before he winds me. I am kicking
myself mentally for assuming he would come in from my left, even though all my scouting had said
he should.

He is almost into my shooting lane, as his head disappears behind a tree I come to a full draw, my
heart pounds in my ear, I can see his antlers right behind a bush as he gets ready to step into the
shooting lane. He stops and throws his head high, blows, then he turns and bounds off in the
direction he came from, he caught my wind. My heart is racing as I let off the fully drawn bow and
watch his white flag waving to me as he crashes through the brush.

I turn my attention to the doe, my knees are shaking and I can see her nervously trying to catch a
whiff of what the buck had alerted on. Except for her head she is motionless, glued to the spot she
is standing in the laurels. After what seems like an eternity she decides all is not right and turns and
trots off the way she came, her tail raised, but not panicked, just nervous.

As my nerves calm, I sit again; there is still the feeling of warmth in me as the adrenaline surging
through my veins is slowly burnt off, the shaking in my knees slows and finally stops. The woods
are dead quiet; a crow caws nearby, probably asking the buck "What's up?". I scan the woods and
seeing nor hearing anything I reach into my pack and grab my coffee thermos. Unbelievable, my
hands still are shaking a bit as I pour myself a cup of hot java.

I am suddenly aware that the sun has risen fully and the woods are illuminated with the full beauty
of sunlight. The squirrels begin to move again and the trees become alive with small birds. The rest
of the day passes peacefully, I rest and reminisce of hunts gone by, of the joy of taking that big
buck in 74, the pleasure of watching three doe feed in a field right in front of me for over an hour,
sometimes coming within 15 foot of where I was seated on the ground.

The shadows grow long and then they disappear, the woods are growing dark, I hear movement
coming in my direction, leaves rustling, finally I see the source of the sound, my friend the raccoon
is heading back out for another evening of feast. The day is done, the cycle is complete for those of
us who are of the day, it is time for the creatures of the night to take over. I put my thermos away,
lower my pack and bow and climb down for the stand.

I begin the walk back to the truck, the stars are starting to become visible and as I mossy down the
path nearing the field I hear an explosion in the brush less than 20 feet off to my left and can see a
group of white flags waving at me going through the brush. I wave, smile and whisper under my
breath "Tomorrow". This is why I hunt, not for the kill, I hunt for the connection of myself with
nature, for the memories, to introduce my children to the love I have for the outdoors. I hunt to
live.

The Tazman
Old 02-21-2002, 09:19 AM

Default RE: Why do you hunt???

Personally, the challenge, the thrill, and it chills me, brings peace to the soul!
Old 02-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that hunting is something that is either in your blood or not. I think it is something instinctive.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:12 AM

I don't know who said it but "I hunt therefore I am" it's a quote that I have always liked. I hunt because I beleive its a primordial instinct that some of us (the more fortunate ones) have not evolved away from, that and the fact of being raised around hunting my entire life. I started at probably age 10 and have been hooked on not only hunting but fishing as well so badly that I am now even a part time guide. Hunting is not only killing of animals but getting out in nature, enjoying and pointing out to our children the little things in life that most take for granted. Such as a squirrel collecting acorns, a ruffed grouse drumming or doe tending her fawns. And it's not all the animals hunting puts us in the woods at times when the leaves are changing colors and the mornings are brisk with a bit of frost on the ground, these are just some of the things that keep me coming back to the woods and the waters time and time again. If I were to list all the things I would run out of space and time to express them all. One more thing, hunting to me is not to make up for some shortcoming in my life or to seem macho, it's much more than that. Hunting serves to put me at peace with things that may be troubling me and at the same time put food on the table for my family. And with all that being said I don't think I can express it any better without wasting alot more space. May the wind always be at your back and the sun warm your face.

Todd Dunlap
Ashland, WI
Old 02-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Todd that was metalica, its actualy part of my profile on AOL. great saying.
my first bow hunt...... My first bowhunt in Alaska
I sit here in my special place. My mind wanders deeper into the woods that surround me. never have I heard the sound of leaves falling from the trees. The cool air seems to be killing the trees and I am sitting here watching them slowly die as the leaves struggle to stay on the tree. The golden yellow, and red leaves of the birch and aspen trees with splashes of green from the spruce that paint the hill side as I sit. silent, watching, waiting. Suddenly the wind would blow and rustle the leaves causing a few more to fall, blanketing the ground for the soon to come snow fall. Its already freezing at night so I know the snow is not far away, even the afternoons are chilly. The sun is just rising in the East with the first shafts of light intensifying the colors of fall. Everything seems to move in such unhurriedness that time stands still and nothing seems to change I know time is going by cause I can see my breath as I breathe slowly, calmly. The world Im in belongs to me no one will ever share this time in my special place. I know it will all change soon and the fight for survival will claim many of the lives of the forest animals. But what expense is there in so much as one may die so another can live. This is the cycle of life in the forest and we as humans are the top of the food chain... or are we? so many of the animals are bigger and stronger than us a bear could, given certain circumstances kill us with one swipe of its paw or one bite from its jaws. So many things come and go in my head my brain cant keep up. Its quiet here yet I can hear everything, the sound of one leaf falling as it hits each branch on its way down sounds like something walking but I know its just a leaf. Suddenly a twig snaps bringing me back to the present. My heart begins to race I can feel it trying to jump out of my chest and can hear the beating in my ears. Something scrapes a bush.. where is it, what is it. My body is on full alert. There is no wind so I know what ever it is cant sent me. I haven't moved and the tree and bushes in front of me hide me quite well... There it is A MOOSE. He's not big but he's legal to shoot. He walks so slowly, cautiously looking every where for movement, ears twitching trying to hear any strange sound as he bends his head and feeds some 50 yds from me. He's moving just into range. Very quietly I remove one arrow from its place trying not to make any sound, as I set it on its rest and knock it onto the string. His head raises, sniffing the air, he looks all around and lowers his head continuing his feeding. The trail he's on would bring him in at 40 yds, I cant move, if I do now he will see me, so I wait. He feeds down the trail and at the moment his head is behind a tree im able to shift my weight. Wait he heard something. What was it? did I make some sound I didn't hear? Are there other moose following him? did a breeze carry my scent to him? So many questions go through my head. Now he's not moving, maybe he senses something's not right. Not finding anything wrong he goes back to feeding. Trying to control my breathing which I know is heavy, I glancing down with my eyes to see if everything is ready on my bow slowly I raise it. Wishing for a gentle breeze to move the trees so I wont be detected. He raises his head again looking away from me. "Perfect" i thought. going through everything in my mind... OK just like practice. I draw my bow back locking it into the same position I have thousands of times.. breathe I have to breathe OK he's at 40 yds... Aim... second site pin is 35 so put it high on his back... perfect.. breathe damn it.. squeeze the trigger... dont forget to follow through, just like before..... thwap... the arrow leaves my bow and I watch every thing go into slow motion my arrow flies high clipping some hair but no skin. He looks back at me with ears pointed strait up and kinda snorts at me and trots off as if to say ha ha you missed. such is hunting I was grateful he wasn't wounded as I sat back down to think about all that went wrong... nothing, the only thing I failed to account for was the elevation. The downward shot caused the arrow to fly high. I would go over the shot many more times in my head reliving it over and over.. Next time.. there will always be a next time.

Old 02-21-2002, 11:21 PM

No mamsy pamsy stuff here- Why do I hunt-I enjoy it. I hunt to kill whatever game Im after. I dont cotton much to the words of those who say all the stuff about being out and enjoying nature ect ect..AS BEING FIRST AND FOREMOST- These things are an added Benefit of Hunting. You plain and simple pick up whatever weapon of your choice, be it Gun, Bow, Camera or other, to go out and capture on your own, IN YOUR METHOD OF CHOICE whatever game your after. I get disappointed sometimes if I dont get my game, for that is what I went out for in the first place. If i just wanted to enjoy all the Xtras Id leave my weapon behind.
Its like fishing- sure you go out and enjoy the outdoors and everything but your main reason for picking up that pole is to Catch fish- same thing with hunting- to kill and harvest and if you have the opportunity to kill an animal and choose not too, thats an extra, extra personal benifit.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HUNT FOR THE FOOD PART OF IT. WHEN I WAS GROWING UP WE WOULD HUNT TO MAKE SURE WE HAD A SUPPLY OF MEAT FOR THE WINTER TIME, JUST IN CASE THE ROADS GOT DRIFTED OVER WITH SNOW AND THERE WAS NO WAY TO GET OUT TO GO TOWN
Old 02-22-2002, 12:52 AM

We all hunt, just not everyone kills what they hunt. When I was first born I hunted for milk. Back in those days we all used our mouth calls to sound like crying. Most everytime it always brought in a milk tending mother. This hunt was crucial to survival!

As I grew, I hunted more and more. I would have to say the biggest game I hunted was that of the other sex. I wanted a trophy for this hunt so I waited and waited and waited until I finally got the perfect one. I bet many of you remember that hunt too. Remeber the feelings, the highs, the lows, the payoff at the end?

Since working wasn't an option I became a police officer. Now I hunt humans on a daily basis. By far the meanest, nicest, foulest, most beautiful animal alive. I find sorrow and laughter in these hunts. I see numerous others who have forgotten how to hunt. They were seen holding a sign "Will work for food." If they could learn to hunt better for that perfect job or hunt for the food they are willing to work for. Sad.

Hunting other animals for sport, food or to be closer to nature, well, all are good reasons I think. My reasons are because we all hunt, we just don't all hunt to kill.

Edited by - DeerThug on 02/22/2002 01:57:25
Old 02-22-2002, 01:23 AM

Because I am instinctually a predatory animal, archaic if you want. I like the taste of venison, I like the smell of fresh brisk air. When I have a family, my hunting will feed them. I crave the outdoors in my mind and my body. It's is the most addicting drug you can take(hunting) and it doesn't hurt anyone(anti hunters not included). Because my Dad gave this to me, and its worth more then any superficial thing I could receive. Because it will be my lively hood in years to come, and will bring my family money and a good life (not rich but comfortable). Because I enjoy animals and wildlife and am not a mindless killer. But most of all because it brings me peice of mind( to heck with all these stupid psychologist and their usless mind picking bull#@!%). Good hunting all. Take care of your families and yourself. good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 02-22-2002, 06:10 AM

I love the rush. The smell of the woods. The fresh air. The challenge of not being spotted by my prey. The time it gives me to renew my life. The sence of acomplishment. The respect for nature.

Quick Reply: Why do you hunt???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.