Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What about a P.O.D.? >

What about a P.O.D.?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What about a P.O.D.?

Old 05-21-2004, 10:14 AM
etw

Default What about a P.O.D.?

Several years ago the POD was tried, I believe it was Louisiana. A rubber ballon with a double nozzle was slipped onto the front of the arrow behind the broadhead then one end was pulled away from the arrow and a fast acting depressant powder was placed inside the ballon. On impact the rubber would roll back releasing the depressant into the wound created by the broadhead. Now I've noticed game laws specifically prohibit this practice. What happened? Should the POD be legalized?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:39 AM

Default RE: What about a P.O.D.?

Depends if you are hunting whitetails or terrorist.

I hold whitetail with too high a reguard to try something like this. And since there are no trees in the desart I doubt I get a shooting opportunity on a terrorist. For the record I would take a 25 degree quartering toward shot with this set up on a terrorist.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the record I would take a 25 degree quartering toward shot with this set up on a terrorist.
I would take any shot on a terrorist including a head shot
Old 05-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutley see no need for it.....a well placed arrow certainly doesn't need a poison kicker and a otherwise non recoverable flesh wound might result in a pitiful non recoverable dead deer. If you hit the vitals and that means anywhere in the body cavity....lungs, heart, liver, guts etc.....and use good woodsmanship, ie...knowing your land, amount of time to let an animal go, etc.....there is no need for poison...In my not so often humble opinion...LOL
Old 05-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Rob said it all. Now in my own little way let me say............using a pod or anything similiar is plain stupid IMO. We don't need any WMD's in hunting.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:16 PM

I was raised in Ms and pods were common.Not everyone used them but alot did.Having been around the stuff and seen it work let me explain a little about it.The arrow has to go in the length of the broadhead the open up.A gut shot deer will not go very farand not suffer very long but I have never seen it work on leg shot deer because there is not much blood flow in this area and most of the time the arrow deflect off the bone and not put enought poison in the blood.Most deer shot with poison would would have died anyway it just makes it happen faster.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:59 PM

A gut shot deer will not go very farand not suffer very long but I have never seen it work on leg shot deer because there is not much blood flow in this area and most of the time the arrow deflect off the bone and not put enought poison in the blood
I once read a lengthy article on PODs and it claimed the complete opposite. They would aoim for the hips because of the massive muscle and blood flow that goes through that area. Gut shots had less effect because of the lack of blood in that area.............interesting.

I guess the only problem I have with it it is not the way I think of bow hunting. I don't see it as wrong or unethical (lord I hate that word) - just not for me.

probably the best thing for the deer though
Old 05-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated earlier Mississippi used to allow them when I lived there. I never used them but I knew one guy that did. He never lost a deer that I know of. I'm not sure if they still allow it or not.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:49 PM

What does P.O.D. stand for??

Does this drug effect the meat in any way?

Sounds like a VERY unfair advantage to have over game. For cryin' out loud all you are required to do is be accurate enough to hit the chest cavity on a big animal. That's it!!

Why not just have the deer commit suicide in the back of your truck and take all the work out of it??

Sometimes people think too much.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas it's not really P.O.D. it's a pod as in a poison pod. At least that's what they used to call it in Mississippi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.