Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok, I took your advice and shot six bows. >

Ok, I took your advice and shot six bows.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok, I took your advice and shot six bows.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ok, I took your advice and shot six bows.

I hope this does not start any brand battles b/c all I am doing is sharing my opinion based on your recommendations and my personal experience after finally getting to the pro shop for a few shots. I have never shot a modern bow so everything was an improvement over my current setup and my findings were interesting. I really wasn't sure I was experienced enough to form a strong conclusion as to which bow i liked best, but I was.

The pro shop i visited carries Kodiak, Bowtech and Mathews. Though you said the Outback was a must shoot, I had little interest in it b/c the price point of $700 was higher than I wanted go. To some extent, I talked my self into the bowtech, with a preference toward the MM and secondary consideration toward the Extreme. The liberty was closer in price to the Outback, so I wasn't too interested in it either.

The proshop encouraged me to shoot the Outback first (i think he was hoping i would love it and he wouldn't need to setup the others). It shot very nicely. I closed my eyes and focused on smoothness, shock, noise, etc. I was very pleasantly surprised. The MM was next, and the one I expected to buy. I was surprised by the increase in kick, noise and shock. A nice bow, but not nearly as nice to shoot as the Outback. I then shot the Kodiak 36 (it was on sale for $450). Two shots and I didn't like it. Pro then rigged the Liberty, believing it was perhaps more comparable to the Outback, both in price and performance. I found it to be nearly as smooth and quiet with an easier draw, but the Outback still felt superior. I was alternating shots and kept going back to the Mathews as the preferred bow, but the Liberty certainly closed the gap in my book.

I also shot the Parker EZ Pull at Bass Pro the night before. It was smooth and quiet, but since I was not shooting it back to back with the others, it's hard for me to compare directly to the Outback. Since it is $500 vs. $700, I would favor the Parker if it was close to the feel of the Outback, but I'm not sure that it is.

Bottom line is, I had few pre-conceived notions about any brand other than some say you pay too much in marketing cost for Mathews, which was partly why they were low on my list. I expected to get similar or better performance from the Bowtech at a lower price. Based on my personal preferences, the Outback was absolutely my favorite. Before I make my final decision, I still want to consider one or two of the other manufacturers mentioned in my "must shoot" post just to cover all the major players.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok, I took your advice and shot six bows.

I am glad that you got out & shot some bows. I am not trying to sell you on the Darton Typhoon. If you get a chance to shoot it please do. I am sure you would be happy with any of the bows you have shot & liked. You just need to take your time & buy the bow that YOU want.

Good luck,

WK
Old 05-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well you at least give them all a fair shot and your decision has to make you happy with your selection on your new bow .some brand's suit the each individual differently than others,and these are why everyone find's different opinion's on each and every bow on the market today. I personally wouldn't let 200 dollars make my opinion even though it is a substantial amount of money ,in order to be presise in your choice and to get the exact bow that suit's you the best of all the bow's you tried you need to forget the price. If you had a budget in mind then you need to only try bow's in the price range that you intend to spend,because you didn't do this you have made your choice that much more difficult .The Outback and the Liberty are definetly in a league of thier own and are going to have a price of thier own as well . Anyway's good luck in your choice even though it's gonna be a tough one .But if you like the Outback the best, then if I were you I'd buy it. You'll kick yourself later knowing that you liked that bow the best and you'll alway's be wanting it. So buy it now and you won't be buying it next season because your not happy with this season's choice.
This is just my opinion good luck!

nubo
Old 05-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tealboy;
If you get the chance you should go on back to the shop and try shooting The Parker Phoenix..... I think you might be suprised by this bow, not the Phoenix Ezy Draw, it comes in a 32-34-36 inch ATA, I have shot the 34 and 36 ATA at 60lbs and was very suprised by how smooth they pull, without the loss in speed.... and they shoot just as sweet... I personally perfered the 34 ATA Parker Phoenix...... and its hard to find better customer service than Parker ... other than Golden Key Futura
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Spike

While $700 woud be out of my reach - there is an old saying that the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten. I don't know of anybody that has ever been disappointed by paying a little more for quality, but cann't say the same for those who cut costs for something of lesser quality. However, if it is to be just used to shoot a deer at 20-30 yds, you would more than likely get used to any of the ones you tried. There are things you can do to quiet the noise and lessen the shock using some of Sims' products. Good luck. (Hope you don't have to choose between the bow and a divorce
Old 05-20-2004, 12:16 AM

You get what you pay for.If the Outback feels the best to you then you are geeting a good deal.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

You shot six bows and still managed to avoid all the better ones. Your list is like comparing a Caddy to a VW as far as features. When testing, especially when someone has to stop and set up bows, just the set up can make such a difference. Little things.. like one string having leeches or some type of string silencer or one bow having a short stabilizer while the others have none can really make a difference. A bow set at the top of it's range vs. one at the bottom of it's adjustments can make a big difference. The shop owner prefers you buy the Mmmmmmm.... because it has the HIGHEST markup of any bow in his shop. He also knows if he can convince you it's the best he eliminates price shopping as MMMMMMMMMmmmm gives their shop owners protected territories. You can't go to Bass Pro, Cabelas, Mom and Pop around the corner and make it a bidding war. His markup is intact.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:07 AM

It may not help in your area ......but check around !! Outbacks are $599 here !
Old 05-20-2004, 05:25 AM

When testing bows, I find sometimes find substantial difference on floor models, that don't exist after I set them up. Mathews bows tends to test nicely in shops, partly because they come set up with string suppressors and harmonic dampeners. Take a cheaper model, add string leeches, limb savers, a cable dampener and a stabilizer and often the differences will often be almost unnoticable. Some manufacturers ship bows with vibration adsorbing material and others expect you to add it.

When testing, it's also important to take your own arrow to all the shops and shoot the same arrow out of each bow. Some shop owners will play tricks to get their bows feeling better, like using very heavy arrows and lowering draw poundage. Comparing apples to apples can be a challenge when looking for a bow.

For me, it's more important to compare draw cycles, grip differences and how steady I can hold a particular bow. I like to also compare limb pocket fit amd cam lean. These will make a much greater difference in shooting, than noise or vibration, which I will reduce with aftermarket products. Putting $40 worth of Sims products is cheaper than paying for a bow that costs $200 more.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting comments. Some surprise but not much. Your findings are relatively similiar to what most of the other folks I have been talking have been saying. I am surprised that Mathews has not come out with an "Outback XL" for those guys who prefer the mid to longer axle to axle length models. I think it would be a big hit....
...though if it followed the pattern of the Outback then it would be close to five pounds bare bow...

Just some humor...ofcourse.

Quick Reply: Ok, I took your advice and shot six bows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.