Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why are feathers bad in the rain? >

Why are feathers bad in the rain?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why are feathers bad in the rain?

Old 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why are feathers bad in the rain?

I've just started to get into the 'technical' side of archery in the last 2 years although I've been shooting a long time.
I'm going to fletch my own arrows and I think I want to use feathers since I shoot with fingers off of a flipper rest with fixed blade broadheads.

I've heard that vanes are more desireable for rainy weather. What's the deal?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:20 PM

Default RE: Why are feathers bad in the rain?

If you are going to shoot off a "flipper" rest, you have to use feathers unless you relish frustration and headaches.

The deal is; vanes are plastic, feathers are.......uh.....feathers.

Unless you stay in your stand when a typhoon hits, just use a waterproofing powder for your feathers and you will be just fine.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever sine I tuned up my equipment about 2 years ago, I'm shooting well with vanes, but they do lack forgiveness when I execute a less than perfect release.

Anyway, does the water seep into the feathers making them heavier and thereby throwing off the balance or what?
Is it just a weight thing, or is there more to it?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:30 PM

If you are going to shoot off a "flipper" rest, you have to use feathers unless you relish frustration and headaches.
As long as the bow is tuned, and you're shooting properly spined arrows for your draw length and draw weight, you won't have any problems shooting arrows with vanes off flipper rests. A properly spined arrow jumps off to the left (right handed shooter) and the vanes never come close to a flipper style rest.

Maybe you were thinking of shooting a prong style rest with fingers. Major no-no.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:36 PM

Bulzeye, feathers (unless you're a duck) are adversely affected by water. They lay down and won't hold their shape. Now why synthetic (man-made) feathers do the same thing is beyond me. But they do the same. They'll lay down flat on the shaft and give you no guidance assistance. Weatherproofing them is a must if you hunt in damp climates.

Feathers are more forgiving if they touch a limb or something while in flight. They are also (initially) faster flying. At longer ranges (40+) they slow more rapidly than vanes do because of the drag they create. Feathers are also noisier than one piece vanes.

Vanes have the advantage of being weather proof, durable, and quiet.

It's a personal preference and I've shot both. I prefer vanes.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:53 PM

A properly spined arrow jumps off to the left (right handed shooter) and the vanes never come close to a flipper style rest.
I am always open to learn. However, I have to say, the above statement is a revelation to me. Are you referring to the "Archer's Paradox" and meaning that the tail end will bend away (flexing) from the window and clear the rest before any contact by a vane can be made? Don't count on it.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:05 PM

the "Archer's Paradox" and meaning that the tail end will bend away (flexing) from the window and clear the rest before any contact by a vane can be made? Don't count on it.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Knowing you've gone back to traditional archery, let me just say my statements are in reference to compound bows. I've counted on it for 19 years and never had a problem with vane clearance, even on older bows that didn't have the centershot cut-out in the riser. I started w/ a berger button and Flipper II rest, and currently use a Centerest Plungerest.

bend away (flexing) from the window
Not just that, by the way. Slow motion video shows how a finger shot arrow actually jumps out away from the riser, slightly, as it bends.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes,you are correct Danny about the arrow and paradx, but the arrow needs to recover as quickly as possible(especially with broadheads) and with fingers,IMO,the feathers are best suited.They will force the arrow to straighten out quicker than a vane will,mainly because of their profile.

I learned here that alot of people use hairspray to keep their feathers from laying down in the rain and I have found it to work great.Just use unscented and apply it early and it works great.

I also heard Arthur mention that he thought feathers were loud when people put them on with staight clamps but with an offset.He said his feathers didn't seem to make the noise that everyone seemed to complain about so I decided to try and fletch some feathers with a helical clamp and they are dead quiet.Feathers do tend to start making noise over time,as they start missing some of the feather and as they start getting "soft",but more hairspray should fix the problem.

They are much quieter than AAE vanes or Duravanes that I have used or heard on the range.BUT,Flex Fletch has an extremely quiet vane.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Feathers are just cool... that's why I use them. I water proof them and they hold up and the amounts of rain I'm willing to bowhunt in. A little shake now and then helps if they get really soaked.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting in a semi-tropical environment, I don't know anybody who uses feathers. Everything is wet every morning, just as if a rain fell and the undergrowth is so thick that you can't help but brush up against the bushes/briars/vines/etc, it is basically a jungle down here. Feathers require too much care to be of much use. That is only my opinion, however misguided it may be. I would like to hear from others who hunt in the same climate zone, such as Ruger redhawk, huntnma, or her sister, or any others in the state of Florida.
As for the type of rest that has been mentioned, I have been considering going back to a cushion plunger because they seem to be more stable to me than a prong rest, and yes I use a release. I change to the prong when I when to carbons, and I am also considering going back to alums for the thicker shaft.
What are some of your opinions on this?

Quick Reply: Why are feathers bad in the rain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.