HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   pregnant doe/odd marking??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/61101-pregnant-doe-odd-marking.html)

jimpok61 05-10-2004 03:18 PM

pregnant doe/odd marking???

I was out scouting yesterday and spotted a soon to be, very swollen, momma and two yearlings browsing shrubbery. The odd thing that I noticed was that the momma to be had an unusual marking, one that I had never seen before personally. She had a white striping or band approximately 3-4 inches in width and was located on top of the back about 4 inches forward of her tail base. This stripe went about 1/2 way down her hind quarters in each direction from her spine centerline. As mentioned it was a 1st. spotting of this in my lifetime. Has anyone out there seen something similar? Is there a name for it? Is it just a genetic flaw? I would appreciate any educated takes on my spotting. I am very curious. Thank you in advance!!!

Bulzeye 05-10-2004 03:23 PM

RE: pregnant doe/odd marking???

She must be part skunk.

portable ladder 05-10-2004 03:26 PM

Never Seen Anything like it, the symmetry of it that you explains makes me think against it being soem kind of birth mark, possibly it is a scar from her being caught ina fence

Elkcrazy8 05-10-2004 10:24 PM

It sounds like the deer is carrying the gene for albinism. Though it is not a dominant gene, It chose to come out in the deer. If this deer were to mate with one having the same genes, there is a one in four chance of having an albino offspring.

Fieldmouse 05-11-2004 06:38 PM

Yeah that stuff happens in the wild. I had a Doe that came around twice in one of my areas. She was very smart. Everytime she came into the area she always looked up. She was easily identifiable because she had a softball size white mark on her right side in the center of the vitals. She reminded me of the Far Side strip "Bummer of a Birth Mark Hal"

I do have a Pie Ball that was 50/50 in a full mount. It cost a lot to mount but is very nice to look at.

Ps. 100% of the meat went to Hunters for the Hungry

davidmil 05-11-2004 09:26 PM

She must have leaned on one of those freshly painted sign post.;)[&:]

Klondike 05-12-2004 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

She must be part skunk.
hahahaha that was funny

bow_huntr 05-13-2004 01:21 AM

Doyou live in Texas? A lot of deer i have seen in Texas have that marking due to crawling under barbed wire.

jimpok61 05-13-2004 04:12 AM

;) She's a NY doe and when I got close to her I was not sprayed. I called the county folks, Dave and they said none of their boys/girls have been sign painting lately. I guess she's just a bit freakish but I sure was interested in finding her. When she drops that fawn I'll be more than a bit curious to see if it too has some strange markings. Thanks for the laughs, fellas. You made my day more pleasant.