Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting instinctively >

shooting instinctively

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting instinctively

Old 05-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default shooting instinctively

hello im 14 and im gona shoot my bow instinctively (i dont know if i spelt that right but o well) for some reson i dont like sights but i would like some tips
Old 05-09-2004, 07:34 PM

Default RE: shooting instinctively

use the force matt
Old 05-09-2004, 07:36 PM

Are you going to be shooting a compound or a recurve?

I used to shoot a recurve instinctively and i was able to get really good.

If you're going to shoot a compound I would suggest a sight with just one pin. I think it would be a lot easier on you in the long run.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:39 PM

he is using a compound(i know this cuz he is my best friend) but he does not want to use sights at all. so what should he do??? some tips plz, cuz i'm also doing the same thing
Old 05-09-2004, 07:51 PM

I wish I could help more, but I don't really have any tips.

I started shooting instinctively when I was 8 and it just came...well...instinctively.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:54 PM

well could u tell me how to use the sights??? the reason why i was not going to use them is because i did not know anything about them....
Old 05-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mattis - I've been shooting a bow for about 45 years now and shooting instinctivly takes a lot of practice, especially with a compound bow.
I shoot my compound with sights but my recurve I shoot instinctive. One of the reasons the compound is more difficult is that the arrow sits higher, therefore farther away from your index finger of your bow hand. I shoot my recurve off the shelf where the arrow is closer to my index finger.
If you plan to do this I suggest that you do one of two things. Either get a rest like a Center Shot Flipper rest or some type of set up to shoot off the shelf. But depending on the cutout on your riser for center shot, you may have to build it out. When I tried shooting my compound instinctively I made an aluminum block that had a threaded hole so I could screw it into the rest hole in the riser. When covered with moleskin, it was just the right thickness to bring my arrow out for good flight.
If you do this and shoot off the shelf, you will have to shoot feathers. If you use a flipper type rest you can get away with vanes.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been experimenting with instinctive, and heres what I can tell you.

1) stand on a picnic table, porch, etc. Get a few feet above the target so if you miss, the arrow doesnt ricoshay.

2) A consistant anchor is still very important.

3) I personally put my kisser button on my temple, and the arrow nock right below my eye.

4) I tilt my bow, and tilt my head so I can look over the arrow.

5) I mentally visualize the line the arrow will travel, and line it up with where I want the arrow hit. I've found that with practice, I can hold a 3" group at 20 yards.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:35 PM

I've shot a compound instinctively for years. For me it took a lot of practice. Realize shooting without sights you'll probably be limited to 20-30 yards. Start by shooting very close to a target, and picking a tiny spot to shoot at. Try not to concentrate on the bow or arrow, just that spot you want to hit. It'll take time, but a compound can be shot instintively accurately, just realize that it will take time.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a compound without sights, at least sometimes.
Been shooting for 24 years now, longbow, recurve, and compound.
I learned without sights and you can get really good with a lot of practice, but it really does take dedication.
The third year I was shooting, my Dad (who taught me) and I would shoot in the backyard after school at playing cards from a distance of about 30 feet. We'd aim at the marks on the card like 'top left diamond' and see how close we could get.
First one to miss the card completely does the dishes. I had dishpan hands for years, but boy did I start shooting better.

Now I hunt with sights, but I practice both ways so I can take a shot without them if a pin breaks, my peep gets plugged, or time does not allow me to align the sights. Instinctive shooting is a very good mental exercise.

TIPS:
The only way to get good is to keep good form, have a consistent solid anchor point, maintain a smooth release technique, and aim at small targets. That's right, I'm talking about 1 inch spots at 20 yards, or hearts and spades on a playing card.
If your target is too big, your groups will never be as tight as they could be.
Don't aim at a 6 inch target and keep all your arrows inside of it.
Instead aim at a 1 inch target, and keep all your arrows touching it.
Always challenge yourself.

Concentrate on the target and visualize the shot and flight path. Release when it FEELS right. Don't try to use a mark or feature on your bow as a reference. Just practice until you can see the arrow's arc in your mind every time you hold up the bow.

Quick Reply: shooting instinctively

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.