Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots?

Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Rubber boots?

I am going to be in the market for a pair of rubber boots this summer to use both during the early archery season and possibly later in the year. However, I have next to no experience with this type of footwear. My major concern is whether or not to get a pair with insulation. I am afraid if I get the uninsulated version then they will be too cold to use later in the year. If I get the insulated versions then they may be too warm to use during the early season plus I am not sure which level of insulation to get.

Also, what should I be looking for? Snug ankle fit? Adjustable calf buckle? What separates some of the less expensive ($30-$50) models from the $80-$90 models?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rubber boots?

PA,

If you are going to hunt with them later in the year then I would recommend getting a pair of insulated and pair of uninsulated. I like the lacrosse boots because they fit tight around the ankle and don't try to slip off should you get in the mud with them. Also, the adjustable calf strap is a must have in my opinion becase without it, it is very hard to sneak. You will be amazed at how much quiter a pair of rubber boots will be after you cinch down the calf strap. The other models sort of "rattle" around your leg if you can't cinch them down. Your feat are going to sweat to death in early season with a pair of insulted boots though. Rubber is not a good insulator but my 1200 gram boots are extrmely warm due to the sheer amount of insulation. An uninsulated rubber boot on 30 degree day makes for a miserable hunt. I have had other types of rubber boots and I fret spending the money but i will be buying a new pair of uninsulateds this year. The new alpha burly is a neoprene boot with an out shell of rubber. It offers all the benefits of rubber with much less weight. I may go that route! I definetly don't think you can go wrong with the lacrosse.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had great experiences with the lacross 800's

We are hunting basically the same climates.

Rubbers to me are not near as comfortable as rockys but are much more pratical for every day hunting use.

The lacross I have are a bear to get off. Very snug ankle fit. But are very secure and super comfortable for a bubber boot.

My vote goes for an 800 gram boot for year around use, if you only plan to purchase 1 pair for the entire season.

The new alpha burly is a neoprene boot with an out shell of rubber. It offers all the benefits of rubber with much less weight. I may go that route! I definetly don't think you can go wrong with the lacrosse.
Ditto on that. I am getting a new pair this year and am looking at the new neoprene lacrosss'. Looks to good to be true. All the benefits of rubber but light weight.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess if I had to pick a pair for all year I would just have to go with the 1200s. They 800s would probably be a better fir in most situations but I would freeze to death that other 15 days or so. I would rather sweat a lot than freeze. I nornally wear my uninsulateds until it gets into the mid 30s and then I just wear the big dogs. If your feet stay warm anyway the 800s may be the deal for you.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

What separates some of the less expensive ($30-$50) models from the $80-$90 models?
From my experience, warmth is harder to find on cheaper models. Durability is no different. I really don’t think you want one set of rubbers for the whole season. What I would recommend is going with a high end insulated (in the 800g+ range) and a low-end un-insulated pair for early season.

We all like different attributes a different feel so I would say try before you buy. I have a pair of 1200gram Rocky rubbers that are warm as hell and awesome in the traction department. This came with a price as they are a bit heavy compared to some. I also have a cheap pair of “wolverines” (looks like lacrosse made them) that are un-insulated. I only paid like 30 bucks for these and the fit and feel are great!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info so far guys. Please keep the comments coming. I was looking at the Alpha Burlys as being one of my choices. They are about a pound lighter than comparable all rubber boots.

Another question, when places list the boot weight as "4.6 lbs" is that per boot or as a combo of both?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:16 AM

I typically use the 800's year-round. From 80+ to 30 and below. My feet sweat like hell in the early season, but I am fairly comfortable when it gets cold, I just add socks.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:43 AM

I use the rockys and LOVE them. They are 1200 grams and I wear them year around. I do not sweat in early season but keep warm in the late season , and comfortable. Wow

Go for the 1200 grams you will not regret it!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine has the Alpha Burly Sports(neoprene uppers with a rubber coating) and absolutely loves them. I may buy myself a pair this year on his recommendation. As for the wieght, they usually have boot wieght listed per pair not individually.

For what it's worth, I have a pair of uninsulated Lacrosse Burly's that I don't seem to get too cold in the late season.....proper socks are a must though. Wool blend liner with a heavy 100% wool sock over it always keeps my feet warm on the November rut hunts. After X-mas and such I just wear my Rocky's!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:18 PM

There is also a new pair of Burleys on my list as well. Those boots look VERY nice.

Quick Reply: Rubber boots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.