Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spring deer hunting? >

Spring deer hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spring deer hunting?

Old 05-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spring deer hunting?

Been reading this for a couple days, not sure what to say, but for some reason here I am. It looks to me like you've got an ethical blindspot. You signed with these guys under false pretenses, because they want you to try to wipe out the deer, but you really have no intention of doing that for them. Good luck to you.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Actually Dirt2, I am just waiting for the "Wildlife management permits" to come in the mail so we can get on with it. I was just curious how everyone else felt about this type of deer hunting.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

[:@]OK, u see here is controversy.....the last topic i posted on was "when does a hunter become a poacher"? The same people that are on this topic, where saying ahhhhh your a poacher if u shoot game outta season, or if u use the wrong weapon, or if u do something in the woods and could tell the game warden about it afterwards would u get arrested or fined? Now the same people are saying on this topic that it is ok to kill these pregnant does and shoot these deer outta season, just because u get permits to kill these deer, does it make it ethical? They do have shots u can shoot the does with to make them steril along with bucks, yea i admit that the contraceptive is very expensive, but if u can afford it or make it a tax right off, why not? Like i said before its all about ethics, do u think fred bear would have had this problem? No........of course not, laws are good and some are fabricated to make others money, its up to you to abide what laws u believe are ethical and what laws are just man made to profit off of. So my opinion, wait till deer season and take them ethically or trap the deer and transport them somewhere else, bring them to my property.........ill take em!!! Hey if steve Erwin can catch a crocidile i think u can trap a whitetail, lol. Seriously though, ethics are the back bone of true hunter, not a weekend warrior. SEMPER FI,

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 05-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Turkey Fan, I hope that you are not implying that I am a poacher for hunting deer legally with wildlife management permits.
Is it any more ethical to allow the uncontrolled wildlife to harm jockys of ruin the ability for others to earn a living? Ruin investments?
Now I am not in a position to argue that one animals life is worth more than anothers, as I am not a shou lin monk in a Buddist monastary. But the idea that you think someone who legally kills game is a poacher is really beyond me.
If you have the time, money and resources to come and trap 30+ deer and move them to somewhere where they won't return to this farm, by all means PM me and we might be able to make some arrangements. Bear in mind one of the larger state parks backs up tp this land. What is your plan for those deer?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

By no means am i calling you a poacher at all...dont get me wrong. The last topic i was on was when a hunter becomes a poacher, all i was saying is that the same people who were calling other users poachers are the same ones endorsing this topic. Well as far as the deer on the state land how about a fence to keep them out? Just a thought

Is it any more ethical to allow the uncontrolled wildlife to harm jockys of ruin the ability for others to earn a living? Ruin investments?
I said to some users in the last topic that some laws are man made for profit, and some are not, that they had to decide for themselves. Ohnestly, if i was in your postion i would do what i had to do and do what is best for profit..Man made laws that are for profit i dont agree with, thats all.

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 05-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

OK Turkey Fan, Now I understand you position.
BTW, fences are out of the question.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:14 AM

mlaubner-

Maybe I'm just saying the same thing, but you're being asked to provide a service in order to earn the right to hunt. You're not hunting - you're thinning the herd (but you know that already). Providing that service doesn't violate your philosophy and approach to hunting, because you're not hunting by taking these does. It's just paying the price to hunt later. You've been asked because you have (I assume) demonstrated your skills as a bowhunter to someone along the line. The concept of a quick, humane kill still applies, no matter what time of year.

Best of luck
Old 05-05-2004, 12:17 PM

I would start by shooting all yearlings, does that do not appear pregnant and small bucks. That will take you some time and will also allow the mothers to have their young. Then this fall I would start whacking does and yearlings.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:41 PM

Mark,

Remember that deer seasons are a relatively new invention. There is nothing sacred about them. The Indians and early settlers shot deer anytime they needed meat.

Open and closed seasons are a management tool. They came about because the deer numbers were low and to build the herd back up the states dictated that we could only hunt during certain periods.

Here in Maryland, there are so many areas where hunting is forbidden at any time, the herds have overpopulated. This is causing problems for both the deer and the people. In fact if this is the same State Park that I'm thinking of, the state DNR holds a managed, doe only hunt every year. A couple of hundred does are taken each day of the hunt. The primary reason given is to reduce the number of deer / auto collisions.

In this case, with the permits from the state, I see no reason to worry about shooting pregnant does.

Good luck,
Allen
Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

well as to the advice part i am still undecided. but if you decided to go through with it i saw a doe today and she already had a fawn. so pretty soon you should be able to shoot the does should you decide to do that.

Quick Reply: Spring deer hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.