Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Time to upgrade from Hoyt Superslam, Suggestions? >

Time to upgrade from Hoyt Superslam, Suggestions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time to upgrade from Hoyt Superslam, Suggestions?

Old 04-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Time to upgrade from Hoyt Superslam, Suggestions?

As some of you know, I own a 10-12 year old SuperSlam, Fast Flite by Hoyt. I have resisted spending the money on a new bow until i became more experienced in bow hunting and was sure I liked it (bow hunting in Florida is hot, humid and buggy). However, for several reasons, I have become a fan of the sport and am willing to make an investment in some new gear, but would appreicate your advice. I am not partial to any manufacturer, model or anything else, I just want a good bow at a fair price. Truth be known, I really don't know a lot about all the different bows or their features. That's why I am placing this post. I am hoping to find enough good opinions to assist me in making a sound decision.

Also, I am very open to purchasing a used bow since I could save a few bucks. I am not looking for a new bow to be trendy or to test out the lastest and greatest, so new or used is fine.

I would also be interested in your suggestions on a few core components that you might consider "must have's". For example, I have heard lots of good comments about drop away rests but don't know if this falls into the "must have" category.

Your opinions are appreciated.

By the way, the bow will be used for Florida deer hunting, though I hope to Elk hunt with it in the near future. Also, I am 6, 2" at 190lbs with long arms and a 31 inch draw.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Time to upgrade from Hoyt Superslam, Suggestions?

well i use a browning tornado.....and i love it....

there is all kinds of bows.
like...martin,bowtech,mathews,parkerbows,pearson,f redbear,browning,hoyt,renagade,pse,they all make good bows.....all i got to say is shop around....go to your local bowshop or proshop.... get a bow that fits you best......(other forum members will say bowtech,bowtech,do not let them get in you mind, just joking bowtechs are nice bows...)
Old 04-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

howdy tealboy, my o is that you shoot as many brands and types of bows as you possibly can before you buy, i found that bows aint like cars your buddys new f150 will feel the same as your new f 150,bows they are all different, costum in a way to fit the shooter , i myself just purchased the mathews outback but with your draw lenth you might find the bow to small for you, i shot hoyt,dartin,bowtec, and other models of mathews bows and the only one i liked is the outback, so shoot them and go with the one that feels right to ya, as far as the rest i have a trophy ridge dropzone i am very impressed with this rest it is the first drop away rest i have ever used but i would recomend you check it out ,but it is a little costly around 95$, my sights are just the cobra sidwinders, they are cheaper then the highend sights and just as bright.well thats my o hope it helps goodluck and have fun
Old 04-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

lol bobcat , i dont say bowtech, im one of those guys that say
mathews catch us if you can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:48 PM

im one of those guys that say
mathews catch us if you can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you just did not say that......where is the bowtech police....run
Old 04-29-2004, 08:05 PM

What about hogs!!! MAn if I lived in FL I'd be hunting them hogs too!! Ok back to the subject of bows. I don't personally believe in buying used bows myself, unless I knew the person selling it. Too easy to mess 'em up if your not careful.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Spike

Get yourself a new Hoyt Vipertech or Razortech you won't regret it. I shot a Hoyt Superslam for years and these bows are just light years ahead of the older superslams. They are that good!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a hoyt magnatec and love it. I have to agree with the Doctor. Try many and get the one that feels best.

And like shadow asked, why not Hogs? I visited FL a few years back and got the op to hunt them. We used rifles but I will be going back with a bow. They are great fun.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:50 AM

Look into the Reflex line of bows. Basically a subdivision of Hoyt, but much cheaper.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

The bow you are shooting now is relatively longer, heavier and slower than most of the bows being produced today so be prepared for that when you walk into a pro shop and see all the new bows on the shelf.

Personally, I would not make a huge "jump" in terms of what you were shooting and what you eventually get. I would stay with something in the 35-38 inch axle to axle range with a mass weight of about 3.75-4.25 lbs and a brace height of at least 7-7.5 inches. Cam style is somewhat irrelevant for most shooters as just about any cam system will shoot accurately enough for the average hunter.

Personal favorite companies are both Bowtech and Hoyt. Both make fine bows and you really cannot go wrong with their offerings.

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade from Hoyt Superslam, Suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.