Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gobbler Bowkill

Old 04-29-2004, 07:30 AM

Default Gobbler Bowkill

The first week of the Mo. season I hunted a little 20 acre area that was bowhunting only,this area is close to my work. Having to be at my job at 8am required each hunt to be short, with little room for error. It's kind of frustrating having to leave the field early with birds still gobbling and strutting... but after all, it is hunting and there's not much I'd rather be doing
I had several close calls earlier in the week, in fact Tuesday morning I had one at arms length away. He zigged when I expected a zag and I did'nt get my bow drawn on him. I had to let him walk and called him back only to shoot over his back at what I thought was thirty yards.
Thursday I went out and set up basically in the same spot but on the opposite hedgerow in the field corner. Right at legal shooting light I let out some soft yelps and clucks and got an immediate response.
To my surprise he was only about 80 yards away and I could see him fanning out on the limb. I waited about 5 minutes and called again, this time no gobble, he came out of strut and flew right to me15 yards away and strutting. I let him walk behind a tree and drew my bow, when he stepped out he turned away to face a hen that hit the ground behind him. I thought that was as good a shot as any, so I took it. He went about 20 yards half flopping and trying to fly and that was about it.
He weighed 22.5 lbs., 11inch beard, 1.5 inch limbhanger spurs.
Nothing quite like taking one with a bow... yee haw.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:21 AM

Default RE: Gobbler Bowkill

Congrats on the turkey. I hope to get my son one this saturday then I can try for my first one with a bow.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job. I didn't get one this year but I am taking my daughter this weekend and my son has 2 permits mid-may.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:53 AM

Congrats! To take a bird is a feat in its self. To take it with a bow makes it that much more special. Nice Bird!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

WoW that thinks has some hooks, CONGRATS on the great bird!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is sure a dandy tom!!! Congrats!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great bow harvest!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:39 AM

Congrats on the bow kill.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 AM

Congrats on a great accomplishment
Old 04-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on another fine bird.I am hoping to get me one this year,probably use the shotgun though,i have never harvested a turkey before and i know its a challenge.If im lucky enough to get one with my shotgun maybe i'll take the bow out for a second

Quick Reply: Gobbler Bowkill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.