Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Double lungs, heart, or heart and double lungs? >

Double lungs, heart, or heart and double lungs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Double lungs, heart, or heart and double lungs?

Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Double lungs, heart, or heart and double lungs?

A double lung shot will kill an animal quicker than a heart or heart / lung shot.

The reason is simple. The lungs have more blood flowing through them at one time than any other organ in the body. As the lungs get pierced the blood pressure drops to critical levels instantly which in turn the brain tells the heart to pump faster and faster to bring the blood pressure back up. Obviously this isn't going to happen with a hole through the lungs so the heart keeps beating faster and very quickly deprives the brain of oxygen.

When the heart is hit it can't pump any blood with a hole in it so it only drains. This draining takes longer to deprive the brain of oxygen thus allowing the animal to live longer and run farther.

How long the difference in death is I don't know but it is faster with a double lung hit. But, either one will result in a dead animal. If I got the heart instead of the lung I wouldn't criticize myself at all. Besides you look good when you can show fellow hunters a heart with a nice hole in it.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 PM

I go with the double lung because there is a greater room for error in range estimation. If you miss low on the heart there isn't much and I personally think the safer shot is a double lung shot and kills just as fas as a heart shot.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:27 PM

Can you get heart and both lungs with one shot?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timberjack82

Can you get heart and both lungs with one shot?
Depends on how fast your round is spinning and how many bones it deflects off.

With an arrow? I don't think so.

I have never taken a heart shot. Every deer I've shot has been an intentional double lunger. I always hunt from a tree and most my shots are 15-20 yards. To me, there is too much risk involved in trying for the heart at that angle. Besides, take out both lungs and it's running dead.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:42 PM

Lungs are around the size of a football where the heart is more like a grapefruit. The heart lies LOW in the cavity and while deadly is a small target and easy to miss.

The heart and lungs both kill just as quickly. However, a heart shot deer will run at a much faster rate than any other wound and thus farther [though they will still not go far]. Additionally, I have ALWAYS found the blood trail of a double lung shot is MUCH better than the heart shot.

I'll take a double lung any time.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Double lung here too. If the animal cannot breath and get oxygen to their muscles then they will not go far. I have seen some heartshot deer that made it a good distance going on nothing but adrenaline.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:20 AM

I agree heartily with dick cress in that the easier shot is the double lung shot and is just as deadly. When I was 12 I shot my first deer with a 38 # draw weight. It went through both lungs and the deer went 50-60 yds tops. The blood trail was incredible. Another hunter with me said he heard it go by his stand staggering every couple steps and hacking up huge amounts of blood and chunks of lung and he was set up about 40 yds away on another trail. Anyway, why shoot for a softball when you can shoot at a basketball? The lung kills just as well and there is a much greater margin of error. Below the heart there isn't much except the brisket, it is also fairly close to being protected by the shoulder blade. The lungs are much more unprotected and if you miss low you may catch the heart. Definitely the double lung. I think it is possible, but you have to be lucky and at the right angle to catch both lungs and the heart, so don't count on it.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:24 AM

I try to imagine where the top of the heart is, and aim for there. Plenty of room for error, and it helps me pick a small spot to shoot at, and gives a reality check on angled shots. Just something to make me think about where my arrow is going to pass through in the heat of the moment.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:55 AM

Double lung all the way. Larger target and quicker kills. Why would you aim anywhere else?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:02 AM

With a double lung shot,you will see or hear the deer drop.Not generally the case with a heart shot..Bob

Quick Reply: Double lungs, heart, or heart and double lungs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.