HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   A double miss!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/59597-double-miss.html)

Jacko 04-22-2004 10:35 AM

A double miss!!!

Son in law, 7 year old son and I all got in to our Doghouse TSC this morning for some bird hunting. We decided to give son in law first whack at a tom considering it was his first time turkey hunting and he's trying with a bow. That's also the way I hunt. A cool morning with only 1 gobble and some hen talking. Saw six deer and numerous geese and ducks. At 9:30 my 7 year old say's "dad a turkey, no two". My first thought was ok, April fools again! I looked and holy cow, a pair of jakes. Decision time! We decided to take a double so we could go fishing tommorrow. Guess what, we"ll be turkey hunting again! We both shot low. Didn't have time to range find and woops, they were at 28 yards. Started calling them back but I think they thought something was weird with all the laughter! I know this was a million dollar hunt! Son in law is hooked and my 7 year old said he could make that shot easy. LOL. I think he could! Tommorrows another day. Got to go work on the boat now, the smallies are in the river with some rainbows. Maybe I'll go back out and sleep in the blind for a while!

bow_huntr 04-22-2004 11:19 AM

RE: A double miss!!!

Sounds great! I am currently restoring Eastern birds back into my lot in Missouri. Guess I'm sttin' this spring season out. Oh well, theres always this fall.

Muzzy_01 04-22-2004 11:28 AM

Sound like you had a great time this morring. keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your story with us

wihunter402 04-22-2004 11:41 AM

Neat story. Your 7 year old will be reminding you about that miss for many years.

PABowhntr 04-22-2004 11:47 AM

Sounds like it was a lot of fun even if you did not get the birds. I am equally impressed that you fit two adults and a child inside the doghouse blind and still had room for a double shot. Impressive. :)

DougMD 04-22-2004 12:33 PM

Jacko,

The important thing is the experience, cool! Hey, how is your 7 year old as far as staying still or being fidgety? I have a newly turned 4 year old and wonder when I can take him hunting. I wouldn't require him to stay still for hours at a time, but at least a few minutes! LOL

Good luck on the turkeys with your bow...

Carpmaster 04-22-2004 12:41 PM

Sounds like a fun hunt, i will be trying for Gobblers with a bow for the firsttime in a couple hours hopefully it is as interesting as your hunt.:D

Bird Hunt Dog 04-23-2004 03:38 PM

When I was young around 6 or 7, dad brought me along to his deer stand, he did this occasionally. Up walked a doe and stood at 20-25yds, I sat a minute the wisperd (aren't you going to shoot dad) the doe looked up at use but didn't spook, dad shot and missed. I couldnt beleve you could miss such a big animal, I found out how easy it was to miss around 5 years from then. Some times I wonder if he missed on purpose because he wouldn't normaly shoot a doe!

I'm looking forward to the day I can take my daughter with me to the stand, she will be 3 May 21!

nubo 04-23-2004 07:25 PM

Well that's why they call it hunting and not killing ,sometime's it happen's this way just to get you back out there. Next time you won't miss ,good luck on your next day out.
Monday is opening of turkey season here in Ontario and I'm ready to go .

nubo