Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting started

Old 04-21-2004, 12:34 AM

Default Getting started

Hello all. I am new to the forum - just getting started in bow hunting. I have a few questions as I outfit myself for the upcoming season in Virginia. I am shooting a Legacy at 61lbs with PSE 200 arrows. I am still deciding on what broadheads to buy, but think I have narrowed the search to Muzzy 100gr or the Grim Reapers. I have to verify, but believe mechanicals are legal in Virginia.

Anyways, I will likely hunt mostly from the ground - heights and I don't get along too well. On occasion, I may stand hunt, but mostly will be from the ground. I am trying to determine what I "need" and what would be a waste of money in terms of clothing. I have a "pass" from the wife to b uy what I need...deal was that I bring home venison! >:0

I am looking at the Rancho Safari ghillie suit - are ghillies the way to go? The maker apparently is a avid bow hunter and has designed the longcoat to be friendly to bow shooters...any thoughts on ghillie suits?

Also, I have been reading about eliminating scents...is it better to use the sprays or is it worthwhile to buy a scent-lok pair of undergarments? I anticipate varying temperatures from mild (early fall) to cold (end of season) in virginia, so thinking getting the scent-lok as a base layer is smarter than buying it integrated in jackets and pants since during gun season I will need blaze orange...

Any thoughts would be appreciated from the collective.
Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-21-2004, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Getting started

Matt,

First off, welcome to the forum.

To answer your first question, I would suggest the Muzzys. I have no experience with the Grim Reapers but have been relying on Muzzy products for years. Very dependable.

Second, though I have been using conventional camo clothing for years I am starting to turn onto the idea of guillie/leafy suits. In the last year I have bought two leafy suits and have been very impressed with the increased potential for blending into the environment. I have not tried one of the guillie suits personally but have seen (or should I say "not seen") them in the area I hunt. They do look great but I have always been a little concerned with the strips getting in the way of the bowstring.

With this in mind I would suggest you take a look at the new bibs that Rancho Safari has out this year. The basically cover 2/3rds of your body and really make that lower 2/3rds disappear completely. The top part of your body where the bowstring could potentially contact is free of any potential snags and yet it still is not enough to create an outline or give away your position.

If I had to choose a scent eliminating method out of the three you listed then I would just go with the single scent eliminating undergarment as well. It seems the most versatile and reliable in many situations.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howdy ! ...and Welcome to the Circus, er, um, I mean the Board.

You will love bowhunting...at least if you like the challange of getting close enough to you game to smell what they had for breakfast. What a rush it is to get right on top of them and know you won before you even take the shot.

Anyway, about your questions...

G-suit?
Not for me, at least not for bowhunting. For gun hunting at short or medium range, yes. After all, if they weren't one of the best all-time, all-terrain, camo systems, military snipers would probably be using something else, but not for bow.
Never tried one myself though, I just am afraid about it snagging the bowstring and getting in the way. Even with the "sneaky-leaf" system, I know a guy that swears he has had shots messed up by it. I think a g-suit would be worse.

Scent killer?
I've never invested in a scent-killing garment. When I started, I decided to try cheaper means first and see if they worked.
I hunt on the ground occassionally too, and I've had no problems with Robinson-Labs Scent-Shield line of of body soap, laundry soap, and scent eliminating sprays.

I've only been busted by scent when I've made the mistake of trying to set up my stand to quickly because I was late getting into the woods and got all sweated up. That'll get you every time. I just use the laundry soap on all my hunting clothes, shower with the body wash right before I leave the house, spray down my equipment with the eliminator and I'm fine.
I've had several deer walk right by downwind and never know a thing.

What else do I do?
Just buy a camo outer garment. layer other clothes beneath as it gets colder. and wash them all together adn only use for hunting.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:54 AM

You have to do a lot or triming so you can get to your correct anchor with the ghillie suits.
once it's done they work.