Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhuntin' in the rain??? >

Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Old 04-20-2004, 02:22 PM

Default RE: Bowhuntin' in the rain???

I hunt in the rain. If your hunting whitetails during the rut, your crazy if you don't try. I have Mad Dog Growler rain gear I wear to the stand. Once there I use a Port-a-Roof for even more protection.

One point to consider: A great time to hunt is after a rain (bucks refreshening scrapes). Lots of people will go out and hunt. The forest floor is still wet usually for hours after the rain. Blood trailing is just as tricky!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

I have personally felt that deer are more relaxed in a light rain.IMO
Old 04-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't let Rain ,snow or wind stop me from hunting. I just find the proper cover and get comfortable ,I've seen animal's in all sort's of weather so nothing stop's me anymore.
I use Gore -Tex ,and Simpi-Tex and I have some other's as well ,I'm very well prepared for wet weather.

P.S. I definetly agree with Double Creek on keeping your shot's to a minimum of 15 to 20yrds .I've found that directly after a rain deer will move.I've harvested many deer this way .I don't think anyone want's to hunt during a downpour,but I'll go out hoping for a slowing or a stoppage in the rain.

nubo
Old 04-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spent $300 on a Gore Tex packable rainsuit a few years ago and I carry it with me in my pack every time I go to the woods. Down here, the weather is just too unpredictable. I like hunting in a light drizzle or even a light steady rain. The deer live in it every day, as long as it doesn't get too bad, they will just go about their daily routines. I actually like sitting in a stand and hearing the rain fall around me, it's very relaxing. I am considering trying one of the Porta Roof umbrellas this year though. If it get too bad or starts lightning, I'll get down otherwise I'm there.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:40 PM

I always hunt in light rain or snow because the deer usually move in it. On the other hand, deer are like people in that if it is a thunderstorm or downpour they won't come out. They will just hunker down in a thicket somewhereand wait it out. A reasonfor this is that their senses are hindered in a really heavy rain. Their hearing is lessened because of all the noise, visibility is less, and heavy rain/ swirling winds make it difficult to pinpoint danger. I have Cabelas rainsuit and I find it works pretty well, just be careful not to overheat. I usually hunt in a light drizzle that can usually be taken care of with a suit made of saddle cloth, at least until I get where I am hunting at. This prevents me from overheating on the walk, but keeps me from getting soaked on a long sit. Breathabilty would by my primary concern in buying a rainsuit.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I've hunted in the rain, but have never shot one in the rain. I've shot alot of 3D tournaments in the rain, the bow shoots just fine, but arrow flight is affected slightly! My wife shot her first dear in a wintery mix. finding blood was impossible! We found the dear after alot of grid searching! Just remember exactly wear you last saw it and know the terrain.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:23 PM

Just some things to think about in the rain, the blood trail can wash away fast if it is really raining hard, and I'ts just like when it gets cold outside your bow will not shot the same in the rain. Practice in the rain and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I have hunted in the rain but the big ones seem to be skitish in the rain. I have a 4in1 outfit that I bought from Dicks at 1/3 the price after gun season.

I only do it now because my rut days are limited. I can shot deer every time out but that dam 160 is being impossible to get.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:04 PM

I will hunt in a light rain but also will not take a shot thats not slam dunk inside 25 yrds. I have a browning pac-light goretex rain suit that is one of the best investments I ever made it's light weight enough to wear in warm weather and I bought it big enough to wear over several layers if it's cold
Old 04-21-2004, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in the rain. But then again, half of the time I am hunting in tknee deep water anyway. just make good shots and it doesn't make any difference. You'll watch'em fall. You guys that don't hunt in the rain because of a lack of blood trail, would you hunt flooded timber?

Quick Reply: Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.