Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What trail markers to get??? >

What trail markers to get???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What trail markers to get???

Old 04-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What trail markers to get???

I use a combination of bright eyes thumb tacks and bright eyes push pins, depending on the situation. I've seen plenty of tacks in the woods, but the only push pins I have seen were mine. Also, I don't mark the tree I hunt in at ground level. (stops others from hunting it) I just get close then I put the pins or tacks at eye level at the height I'm hunting at in the tree. This way I know exactly where to stop climbing. Also it can be seen if I don't come in right on the trail but off to the side depending on circumstance.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't worry about it, Frank. I'll find some or go with what is available. No big deal... By the way, those Motorola's have been working great for us the past two seasons (T6400's). We have been very pleased with them. I got two more before this past season (5 total) because we have found that different models may have problems coming through to other models clearly.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:14 AM

I use Pathlites, they are reflective thumb tacks that come in four differnt colors. A couple of advantages of the colors are If I change direction, or the trail splits I chang the color of the tack, or use a different color real close to my tree so I know I'm approching my stand. Also, the yellow, red and blue work much better in the snow and rain and fog than the white. The blue tacks really pop with a green light.

I also have a reflective hoist on my tree stands. I don't need tacks in some places, this thing lights up when a light hits it from quite a distance. One big advatage of the reflective hoist is it becomes a great refrence point while on the ground looking for signs of a hit after the sun has set. Last year while looking for signs that a friend hat hit a deer, it was dark, he kept telling me the deer was standing in a certain spot when he shot. I flashed my light back to the stand, the hoist lit up and from where we where standing there was no way he could have shot that deer in that spot. It's great refrence tool from the ground. If anyone is intersted in the reflective hoist let me know, they are only sold locally. Hey, you need a hoist on a tree stand, might as well make it useful beyond just pulling your bow or gun up.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good idea on the use of different colors for changing direction, etc. I called BassPro and they do have the clear ones. They just aren't on the online catalog, that's all. By the way, to anyone going there, be sure to call in advance to make sure they actually have in stock what you need. My friends and I have gone there several times only to find out they were out of stock on what we needed.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Glad to hear it Doug. I actually picked up a newer Motorola model, the T7200, this past season as it is supposed to have slightly better range because of its design/features. After extensively trying it I still prefer the T6400 for a variety of reasons...some of which you already are familiar with.

As for the problems talking from one unit to the next, are you referring to from a non-Motorola unit to a Motorola unit or from one Motorola unit to another Motorola unit?

Sorry for getting off-track.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Motorola to Motorola. My buddy has a T5000 series walkie talkie (don't know offhand exactly which one), and when I tried to communicate with him with my T6400, we had problems. In fact, we could hear talking coming over, but couldn't make it out well. Also, we each thought the voice was someone else because it didn't sound like "us." It came over robotic in tone, if that's understandable. Anyway, as far as I know, it could have been a GMRS (mine) versus FRS (his) thing, or maybe I have privacy codes that his doesn't have or whatever. I can't remember the specifics of his radio and the channels, etc. I picked up two more last year because I thought I might need more last season, was happy with the T6400's and I already had, and was concerned about communicating between models.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are on the right track with your suggestions. It could be a variety of things including channel spacing differences between GMRS and FRS radios, the privacy or group talk code feature, etc.... I think you did the right thing though. If I get a chance maybe I should pick up another.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Spike

There are a couple of products on the market that I liked better than tacks. I have used "Night Guide" which is a gel in a squeeze bottle. Now they also have "night eyes" in a bottle. I like that because it blended in with the bark and to the casual observer he wouldn't even know it was there. You had to hold the flashlight up beside your eye to make it reflect back at you - so if someone else was moving around with the light held in the normal way they won't pick up the light. I used 1 dot to mark going in and put 2 dots of it on the back of the tree for when I came out after dark. Could also put in an "arrow" to indicate turns. It would last all season. About the only time it failed was when we had a real heavy snow the night before, and it hung on the branches, and took down everything under 3". Even then between the Night Guide and a compass I was able to find the stand.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Look Doug. All you need to do is invite Rick up again for a work day. Have him string some Led lights through the trees for you. Label your plugs and when you want to go to Tree B, just plug in the cord that says "Tree B" before you leave the cabin.

Short of that, I don't think it matters much. I think the old reliable Bright Eyes(the thumbtacks) are about as good as it gets. They more high vis to me. I don't use them around home but do use them in NY when I go way back in and want to mark turns and waypoints as I go so I can come in from the least intrusive direction in the AM darkness.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

davidmil, LOL. I'm just going with the regular bright eyes. I already have some, but have to rerout a few stand entrance paths and may need more for more stand sites...