Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What trail markers to get??? >

What trail markers to get???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What trail markers to get???

Old 04-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What trail markers to get???

I used to get bright eyes and I have some of those reflective tacks. Now it seems like the only bright eyes they offer are colored. Any suggestions? I see they have those fire tacks, but all I need is the plain Jane non colored ones....
Old 04-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What trail markers to get???

When I use them I use the clear ones. I have that green flash light, forget what they call it but it changes the clear ones to green anyway. I always pull them out after I learn the way in in the dark but up at your place it wouldn't hurt if you left them in as No One would ever find thier way up there anyway
Old 04-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Fire Tacks '3D' works quite well.
I know the snow doesn't accumulate and cover it due to the shape, which happens with some of the others and because they're 3D, they can be seen from any angle.
If you need something to get you in and out without spending the night in the woods, (intentionally)--go with the fire tacks.
Just a note---they can also direct 'unwanted' occupants to your stand location, if they're hunting in your area.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always just use a roll of reflective automotive tape and tear off little strips and stick around a small branch. I don't have to worry about them spilling all in my pack or on the ground in the dark either.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:24 PM

I take clothes pins & dip them about 1" deep in day glow orange paint from walmart, take 1 1/2" wide reflective tape, again from walmart, & snip off 1/4" wide strips & stick to each side of the handle. When using them I clip them to my bow or rifle strap so they are handy going in to my stand. Then clip them back on coming out. They are so cheap if I forget some coming out its no big deal. I sit around watching TV during the off season & make up a bunch. Gives me something to do when I'm bored.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:41 AM

Try using a compass and a map. In my area you cant even spot light in some places because all you see is those markers. Then when the season is over they are still there. If you cant read a map get a gps, they track your every move.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would just splurge and pick up a GPS unit to find my way in and then just use a reflective device on the tree I plan on hunting in....

Sorry Doug as I was being somewhat sarcastic. I use that method when hunting "way up in the back" but normally just use reflective thumbtacks for hunting relatively close spots.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL Rick! I use them for others who have never hunted the stands, but must admit I am terrible in the dark and need them for me too. You are welcome to use them too, unless you prefer finding a spot for your portable. I'm going down next weekend and plan to turn around the insulation that we put in backwards, and/or stain the decks and paint the doors. I'm still waiting on a call from my neighbor on whether he can get out there to wire the place soon. He was on vacation last week and is supposed to get back with me...

Frank, it is the availability of those regular clear bright eyes that has me stumped. You can't pull them up on the Cabela's, BassPro or Walmart sites, and Sport's Authority near me doesn't carry them or didn't have them in stock.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doug,

Drop me a line and I will send you a pack of them. I think I have an extra one somewhere.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I buy a box of push pins some reflective tape from Walmart and a hole punch for paper. While I'm watching TV I'll not out a hundred or so in no time.

Quick Reply: What trail markers to get???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.