HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rompola Video (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/59222-rompola-video.html)

Straightarrow 04-19-2004 09:03 AM

RE: Rompola Video

Wow, first time I saw the video. Sure makes the buck and the story look real.

silentassassin 04-19-2004 10:55 AM

Wow, first time I saw the video. Sure makes the buck and the story look real.
:eek:rotflmao

IL_BOW_MAN 04-19-2004 03:03 PM

A video is out and about and people still don't believe. Maybe if the video was on the television some may believe.....cuz everything on TV is real!

For the record, I am still on the fence with the whole Rampola thing.

But what is in this small clip of video is surely enough to make some people rethink their thoughts.

The video don't seem to be altered and it looks like the antlers are attached. What makes you guys think that the video is a fake?

silentassassin 04-19-2004 03:13 PM

The video don't seem to be altered and it looks like the antlers are attached. What makes you guys think that the video is a fake?
Yea, I see what you mean. That video is really convincing. It would be impossible to attach fake horns to a deer:eek:.........WTF.........

It's just sad...........

silentassassin 04-19-2004 03:24 PM

But what is in this small clip of video is surely enough to make some people rethink their thoughts.
What in particular about this video (in your opinion) should make me rethink my opinion, which by the way is that Rompola is a dumbass that tried to pull off the worst con in history.

Again what about this video makes you think it's not fake. All you would have to do is cut another deer horn's off at the bases and then insert a threaded bolt into a fake horn. Epoxy the bolt in the fake horn. Drill a hole in the pedastal of the deer. Then thread the fake horn with the threaded bolt now extending from it into the hole in the pedastal and presto........World Record Deer. There is nothing new about this video. No one accused the man of being stupid enough to be holding the antlers on. At least not that I have seen. It has always been assumed that the antlers were secured onto the head and that video certainly doesn't prove any different.

Cyrus 04-19-2004 03:51 PM

Nub,
Are trying to draw the white bird out?;)
The bird loves this kind of stuff.

KY_BOWMAN 04-19-2004 06:12 PM

[link]http://www.whitetail.com/rompolagate.html[/link]

NOW AFTER YOU GUYS READ THIS YOU WILL HAVE A LITTLE BIT MORE UNDERSTANDING OF HOW THIS GUY MADE THESE ANTLERS.[:@]

bobcat 10 04-19-2004 06:50 PM

check this information out.......

January 13, 2000
Rompola gives up battle for largest buck
View our Rompola story archive.

By JEFF PEEK and CARI NOGA
Record-Eagle staff writers
TRAVERSE CITY - Mitch Rompola is still bucking the system.
This time around, he has put it into writing.
Rompola, the Traverse City bow hunter who claims to have bagged a world-record buck near his home on Nov. 13, 1998 but has never had it scored by official record keepers, has signed a contract with Arkansas County Seed Co. promising not to pursue official recognition of the buck as the world's largest.
Arkansas County Seed Co., which produces a deer-baiting product and has a promotional deal with current record-holder Milo Hanson of Canada, instigated the contract.
"We lost money because of Rompola's claims," John W. Butler, president of Arkansas County Seed Co., said on Wednesday. "We kept waiting for him to get it scored, but he refused to make it official. We couldn't sit around and wait any longer for that to happen.
"We had to do something."
According to Butler, work on the contract - which prevents Rompola from having his buck officially scored unless another hunter breaks Hanson's record - began in May, and Rompola signed it in November in the presence of Traverse City attorney David Stowe.
Stowe said he could not comment on the contract. Rompola, 51, has an unlisted number and refuses to speak to the media.
Butler said Rompola's willingness to sign the contact "speaks for itself." In exchange for Rompola's signature, Arkansas County Seed Co. agreed not to subpoena Rompola's rack and have it measured and x-rayed.
"We talked about going to court, but if you've ever been to court you don't want to go back," Butler said. "This was a better way for everyone."
Hanson, 54, said Wednesday he is still surprised that Rompola agreed to the deal.
"I never would have signed it," Hanson said from his home in Biggar, Saskatchewan. "If he signed it, then something is terribly wrong.
"The average hunter would say, 'Go to heck.' The fact that he didn't say that is very strange."
Ken Kreh, a friend of Rompola's who owns a company in Manton that manufacturers synthetic deer scent, said Rompola's reasoning is simple.
"He wasn't interested in getting involved with the rigmarole," Kreh said, referring to Rompola's past disagreements with the Boone & Crockett Club, the official record-keeper of trophy animals in North America. "The politics in the organization is something Mitch became fed up with years ago.
"This is his way of severing ties with those people," Kreh added. "He knows he's taken the largest, and that's all that matters to him. It's his way of thumbing his nose."
Shortly after Rompola shot the buck in 1998, he said it dressed out at 263 pounds and had an estimated field weight of 300 pounds. The buck scored 218 5/8 points on the Boone & Crockett scale, Rompola said, easily beating Hanson, who dropped a buck in 1993 that measured 213 1/8.
According to Rompola, a Michigan scorer for Boone & Crockett measured the buck and confirmed it was a record-setter. But Rompola never submitted the measurements to the Boone & Crockett Panel.
By doing so, Rompola is missing out on a substantial amount of promotional money.
Prior to Rompola's claims, Hanson said he earned up to $1,000 a day traveling the country and appearing at outdoor shows.
He also sold prints of his deer for $189. But sales screeched to a halt when Rampola made his announcement.
Hanson hopes the contract will put an end to the controversy, which, he suggests, may be the real reason Rompola signed it.
"I guess he's looking for closure, and this gave him the opportunity," Hanson said. "I sure don't know how else to explain it."
Kreh said Rompola stands by his story, contract or no contract.
"Mitch doesn't want to cause Milo Hanson or anyone else any problems. That's why he signed it," he said. "It has nothing to do with whether or not the buck is real."

bobcat 10 04-19-2004 06:55 PM

more.....Officials: Big buck is record

April 6, 1999

BY ERIC SHARP
Free Press Outdoors Writer

HOUGHTON LAKE -- Mitch Rompola's whitetail deer, which has raised controversy and fueled debate for months, definitely is a world record, says a Commemorative Bucks of Michigan official who has measured the deer.

Three measurers from Commemorative Bucks of Michigan gave the deer a score of 216 5/8 -- two inches smaller than Rompola announced previously, but still a record.

Scores and records are based on antler size. Numerous measurements are taken of the rack, and deductions are made for imperfections.

"There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's 100 percent authentic. I saw the antlers attached to the skull plate, and there's no question that it's exactly what he said it is -- a real deer," said Gary Berger of Houghton Lake, who is also a measurer for Boone & Crockett, the national trophy measuring club.

Berger said the deer, which Rompola killed with a bow and arrow Nov. 13 in Grand Traverse County, was panel scored on March 25 by Berger, Lee Holbrook of Boyne Falls, who is also a measurer for Pope & Young, the national organization that records archery-killed deer, and Al Brown of Kalkaska, a measurer for Commemorative Bucks of Michigan.

"It scored 216 5/8 net and grossed 220 6/8. It's an almost perfect 12-point. There were no abnormal points, and there were only 4 1/8 in deductions (for lack of symmetry)," Berger said. "The scoring was videotaped, and it took us 2 hours, 20 minutes.... We went over everything several times to make sure we were as close as possible to perfect."

Berger said that he, Holbrook and Brown all signed the score sheet and left it with Rompola, "but what he's going to do with it now I don't know. I'm going to send a notification to Boone & Crockett (as required by club rules), but whether Mitch is ever going to enter it in their books or anywhere, I have no idea."

The score from the Michigan measurers means that the deer still measures three inches bigger than the 213 5/8 world record buck that Milo Hanson killed in Biggar, Saskatchewan, in 1993.

Rompola killed the deer in an area not known for producing trophy bucks. His secretiveness and contradictory statements then raised controversy and suspicion.

At one point, Rompola announced that the deer had been scored secretly by four measurers, but he refused to identify them and said they did not sign the score sheets. He also refused to show the rack publicly.

Rompola said the first measurement produced a net score of 218 5/8 and a gross score of 223 5/8. Berger said he did not know whether the slightly lower score his group came up with was the product of further shrinkage of the rack since the first scoring or a more careful measurement.

"I think it was scored by four people earlier, but there were no official score sheets. But all three of us signed our sheets, and although there might be a little more shrinkage, I think that our measurement is going to stand up," Berger said.

Every three years, Boone & Crockett holds a panel scoring in which expert measurers carefully score the 10 biggest racks taken since the last panel scoring.

Until the next panel scoring in 2001, Hanson's deer will remain the official world record, but Berger said he didn't know whether Rompola would submit the deer for scoring then.

"I know that 99.9 percent of the other hunters in the world would enter it, but with Mitch, you can't tell. He is extremely suspicious. I told him that he has a lot of people out there who support him and believe in him, but he said that all he ever hears is the bad stuff from people who don't," Berger said.

KY_BOWMAN 04-19-2004 07:29 PM

[link]http://www.whitetail.com/rompolagate2.html[/link]

The antlers have an outside spread of 38". Knowing this measurement, it is quite simple to calculate the distance between the burrs. This measurement comes out to 4 3/4". Normally this measurement is from 2 3/4" to 3 1/4". This would mean that the distance between the burrs is 1 1/2" wider than any buck ever. It is approximately 50% wider than any other deer.

FAKE FAKE FAKE. THE FACTS ARE THERE IN BLACK AND WHITE OR WHATEVER COLOR THE BASES OF THE ANTLERS ARE.