HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/59187-what-age-do-you-think-godd-hunt-yourself.html)

Allseasonhunter7 04-18-2004 09:25 AM

what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

ahah this always gets broughten up doesnt it
i think 14 but how could u get to ur spot...no car

Charlie P 04-18-2004 09:55 AM

RE: what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

When you can spell good.:D

Depends on how long you've been hunting I'd say. My son will be 14 next month and I would drop him off for an hunt if I couldn't go. NYS law say's I can't do that however.

121553 04-18-2004 11:21 AM

I don't think that you can actually put an age limit on it but more of what your skill level is. I have seen some kids that are very good woodsman and then again I have seen some grown adults that have no need to be in the woods. You need to ask yourself if you can field dress an animal and then get it out of the woods in time? What about emergency situations that may arise? This is where skill comes in. Good Luck, Bobby ;)

Washington Hunter 04-18-2004 03:21 PM

Here in Washington it's 16, which I think is pretty decent considering most people get their Driver's Licenses this year too.

ijimmy 04-18-2004 05:15 PM

16 sounds good to me , with parental consent .

Fieldmouse 04-18-2004 06:23 PM

Right now I'm thinking on 12. I will tell you how close I come when I let my boy/girl go on there own. I think by then I should know when they are ready to take on the challenge. I have been preping them with the basic use of a fire arm since 4 at the youngest.

WIbucksniper 04-18-2004 07:19 PM

I agree with everyone else. It with depend on the child in question. And the laws of the state.
Jeff

5 shot 04-19-2004 03:52 AM

I started when I was 13, but that was a differnt time and a differnt place. I didn't have my father around to take me, so I would get off the school bus grab my shotgun and go hunting. I don't really know at what age I will turn my boy loose. It really depends on him, how mature he is as well as how responsable he becomes. I will say that while shooting his BB gun yesterday I "cocked it" for him and when I handed it back he informed me that I forgot to put the safety on[:-] OOPS! That shows me he is paying attention and is understanding the importance of safety. Not bad for being only 7.

adams 04-19-2004 07:22 AM

I started hunting alone when I was 16. I could have earlier but it isn't legal in Maine. 16 is a godd age;)

Dubbya 04-19-2004 07:48 AM

in wyoming we could hunt small game and birds at twelve then big game at 14. This worked out pretty well. Also in accordance with skill level, and overall understanding of mother nature, I think there is a certain maturity level that must be present. I know that there are several hunters that are 25 and still probably not mature enough to actually be hunting. but by the same token, I've hunted with 12 year olds that were safe and extremely knowledgeable. So I guess 14 seems to be pretty good.