Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are they mutually exclusive? >

Are they mutually exclusive?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are they mutually exclusive?

Old 04-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are they mutually exclusive?

OK here is my question. Have you noticed, and I am not referring to anyone here on the forum, that the best hunters are not the best shots and definetly not the most knowledgeable about equipment. I have
You bet! Thats why I have to laugh when I hear (or read) someone say something like "anyone who doesn't tune their bows and practice on a regular basis doesn't belong in the woods"

I work with several guys that fall into that category and yet are awesome hunters! Face it , most hunters dont have the passion for it like we have. They get the itch maybe a month before season. Most of us get the itch a month after season ends!
Old 04-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

My old neighbor shot big bucks every year on public land! He didn't have the newest bow or the neatest stuff but what he did have was a complete knowledge of the Welfare System. His girlfriend and mother of his four children was on welfare. He received Social Security for a disability of some sort, but looked and acted normal to me.[X(] Anyway, being in his mid 30's he was unemployeed and had everyday, all day long to hunt and fish. Guys like me working 50 - 60 hours a week paid his way. Bought his groceries, paid his rent, paid his utilites. And I get to go out once in a while.[]

The guy did kill some big bucks though. I moved away from him which was probably a good idea. I started wondering if maybe my wife and I should divorace, have a couple more kids and I become a drunk. Then I could retire at the rest of the country's expense.[:@]

Sorry about the rant, but my point is that if you have unlimited time in the woods...you'll eventually kill some monsters.

I step from my soapbox and head to the fridge.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why I have to laugh when I hear (or read) someone say something like "anyone who doesn't tune their bows and practice on a regular basis doesn't belong in the woods"
That's where BF and I are in complete, utter disagreement. I feel the same way about guns too. Just because people manage to bring home deer doen't mean they didn't wound and lose 20 others before they managed to put one down.

I've had a belly full of hearing, "I stuck several, but I got this one." [>:]

A good hunter knows how to shoot. He practices enough IN HUNTING CONDITIONS to know his limitations. He stays within those limitations. He also knows the land he hunts on and how the deer use that land.

The really good bowhunters I know do most of their practice while scouting. They take a couple of judo points and stump shoot while doing their scouting. They scout their hunting area a couple of times a month; spring, summer, fall and winter. You rarely see them in a pro shop. They'll come to the range every month or so and check their sights, maybe shoot with some friends, and they're gone again.

Even as retro as I am, I'm a flaming techie compared to them.

[&:]
Old 04-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just because people manage to bring home deer doen't mean they didn't wound and lose 20 others before they managed to put one down.

I've had a belly full of hearing, "I stuck several, but I got this one."
I cant argue with that! I'm sure we all know folks who fall into that category as well.

The guys I'm speaking of don't "wound or lose 20 others" in the process. They regularly harvest deer every year with excellent shot placement. The closest one of them came to wounding one was about 4 or 5 years ago when we tracked a doe for several hundred yards on our hands and knees (in circles) just trying to find a trickle of blood. As it turned out she made a loop and died about 30 yards from his stand. That errant shot was one lung and heart with no exit hole.(no blood)[&:]
They just dont share the same passion as I do with the archery equipment. They do however spend all year scouting.

On the flip side , I know one a-hole who picks up his bow a week before season , cant hit a pie plate with 3 arrows at 30 yds , wounds deer on a regular basis and has no ill feelings towards wounding deer. He falls into my category of those that dont belong in the woods.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

The blanket statement that all the really really good hunters are not techies is rediculous at best! Some good hunters are "techheads" and some are not. I also know a few "good hunters" who can get close to game but can't hit a bull in the arse, as well as some techheads who never seem to get as close to game. Being a good hunter is a total committment to scouting, stand or ground placement, gaining access to good hunting land AND being proficient with a bow.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

On the flip side , I know one a-hole who picks up his bow a week before season , cant hit a pie plate with 3 arrows at 30 yds , wounds deer on a regular basis and has no ill feelings towards wounding deer. He falls into my category of those that dont belong in the woods.
And the more you insist that people don't have to practice, the more of those a-holes you help create.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ewolf

Hunting comes down to 3 things time, money and knowledge. Some people have better property to hunt then others.

This part I have to say is all you need to shoot big deer.
Time - You need to go out as much as possible

Money - You need as much of it to get you equipment, travel (local or to another state) and license.

Knowledge - This is the most important. It's not knowledge about the equipment but knowledge of your hunting area.

I did a post way back about "You aint getting it if". The point of the post was you have to hunt where the deer are that you want to kill. Sure you can stumble on the biggin kicked up by another hunter or event, but I would rather consistently see huge everytime out or at least know that one more the likely will be there.

It's possible and if you have that spot that's great. If your still looking don't over look residential areas. They are crawling with deer. Home owners want them gone. They are not only a nuisance but a health threat as well. The best thing of all is that it is prime hunting and the spot is free.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

And the more you insist that people don't have to practice, the more of those a-holes you help create.

Your misreading me Arthur. I'm not saying that people dont have to practice. You must know that I believe practice is the most important role in becoming a proficient hunter.

What I am saying is that I know two guys personally that practice shooting their bows what I would consider to be insufficient , and yet when they do pull out their bows a month before season and start shooting it's as if they haven't missed a beat. I've been humbled by them at the range on more than one occasion![&:] Is there such a thing as being a Natural when it comes to archery? If there is , I know two of them.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's kinda hard to misread comments like, "I have to laugh when I hear (or read) someone say something like 'anyone who doesn't tune their bows and practice on a regular basis doesn't belong in the woods.'"

You're pretty darn up front with things when you scoff at an idea. It means total disagreement and complete lack of respect for it.

Then you turn around and say, "You must know that I believe practice is the most important role in becoming a proficient hunter." Pardon me, but I'm getting a little confused with your John Kerry impersonation.

So.... Which is it?

I'm sure there are some 'naturals' out there. There are always exceptions to the rule. But, by and large, someone that doesn't put an arrow on his bowstring for months at a time is not going to humble ANYBODY on the archery range.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's kinda hard to misread comments like, "I have to laugh when I hear (or read) someone say something like 'anyone who doesn't tune their bows and practice on a regular basis doesn't belong in the woods.'" You're pretty darn up front with things when you scoff at an idea. It means total disagreement and complete lack of respect for it.
Only because I think statements like that dont cover everyone! I used the term "have to laugh" because of the two hunters I work with who fall into the category of "no bow tuning knowlege or regular practice" and yet are awesome hunters. Doesn't mean I laugh because I think practice is unimportant and I'm not scoffing at anything. I laugh to myself because when I hear those blanket statements the first thing that comes to mind are the two fellows at work who would be welcome at any deer camp by anyone here if you knew them. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows people like I described. Maybe I am?

Then you turn around and say, "You must know that I believe practice is the most important role in becoming a proficient hunter." Pardon me, but I'm getting a little confused with your John Kerry impersonation.
Does anyone else see the point I'm trying to make? Yes practice is important , very important!
Does everyone need the same amount of practice? Apparently there are exceptions to the rule or a few naturals out there!

I give up!

Wasn't trying to argue with you or anyone on this thread!

Have a nice day

Quick Reply: Are they mutually exclusive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.