Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it. >

Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

Here is my bow & my current set up.
Darton Typhoon.
29.5" draw.
70-pounds.
Easton Axis 340 arrows cut to 26.5" 9.5gpi, 4"vanes straight.
100-grain field tips.
Wisker Bisket rest.
String leaches.
Ultra Limb Savers.
Peep with rubber tube.
String loop without a brass nock on the string.
Scott Mongoose release.
What can I do to increase my f.p.s.? I have not shot this bow thru a cronograph. This is a hunting bow so it needs to be quiet.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:18 PM

Default RE: Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

With your setup and arrow length you can shoot the easton axis 400 arrows and gain a few fps there. Because your arrows are only 26.5 inches long you can shoot the 400 Axis arrows. Also if you want to gain more fps switch off you broom bristle rest and put on a drop away or a regular TM style rest and you will gain FPS there also. And if you want to go even further you can switch that peep to different and get rid of that tubing which can slow you down as much as 10fps.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Wow man, do you have an overdraw on that think with the whisker to get those arrows so short? Especially with a 29.5" DL. Well, you might want to try to get a different peep sight to get rid of that rubber band. That alone is costing you 5 or more fps right there. Also, you might consider switching to Carbond Express 300's. The axis were designed to have a little more weight for added KE. You're current arrows should be around 400+/-5 grains. With CX 300's you'd be right around 370grains total. You could also switch to a lighter business end...maybe 85 instead of 100 grains. If you lightened the point, switch arrows, and change peep sights, then you should be hovering around the 295-300fps range if not faster.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your rest is fine , change your string to a winners choice string and get a 3/16 tru peep ,that will give you around 8 to 12 fps , rough guess . Get rid of the brass nock and pick up another 4 or 5 fps. With the short arrows you are useing and lite tips , useing feathers will probably give you another 4 to 5 fps .
Old 04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the others. Ditch the rubber tubing style peep and try a lighter arrow. Either that or stop shooting the chronograph. Either way your problem will be solved....
Old 04-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already ordered a Winners choice string. I will ditch the peep with the rubber tube. I did not know I would loose that much with the rubber tube. I will switch to lighter arrows. I will also look at a lighter field point? I have to consider that I hunt elk with this bow. I might want to just stick with the 100-grain field points & broadheads?
I will also cronograph my bow with a fall away rest & see if I can gain enough over the W.B. to justify the switch?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:32 PM

If you want to hunt elk, i would go with heavier arrows. Weight means a lot momentum. WB will slow you down. I don't remember who posted it but feathers are slower then vanes. I agree get rid of the brass nocks, tie on serving to serving for nock indicators.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:46 PM

I don't remember who posted it but feathers are slower then vanes.
You might want to reread Chapt 1 of your Bowhunting 101 manual

You know......................the one you wrote..................lol.....
Old 04-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

quote:

I don't remember who posted it but feathers are slower then vanes.

You might want to reread Chapt 1 of your Bowhunting 101 manual

You know......................the one you wrote..................lol.....
You're both right........

Feathers are faster within the first 40-50 yards and then are overtaken by vanes due to their increased drag.

Vanes are almost 3 times heavier inch per inch......
Old 04-14-2004, 02:56 PM

Feathers are actually slower than veins after 25 yds. Feathers are faster right after the release but slow down alot faster than veins after around 25 yds. This is what I determined with my set up.

Quick Reply: Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.