HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Close encounters with a bobcat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/58681-close-encounters-bobcat.html)

houdini 04-12-2004 11:06 PM

Close encounters with a bobcat

I was set up on the back side of a place turkey hunting Sunday evening with my bow. I had been sitting for close to an hour with decoy out front of me about 20 yds hitting the call every so often with no luck at all. When all of a sudden I had leaves hitting my back and heard a camotion directly behind me. I whiped around to see a bobcat sliding toward me with his brakes locked. He then moved back 10-12 ft and started to stalk me moving towards my left, keeping a close watch on me the whole time. I stood up and he toke off running like a bat out of hell. I really believe my calling brought him in and sitting on the ground looking at my back in full camo just confused him into attacking me. I thank god that he realised I was something besides dinner as he got close or those claws may have got a little skin. He had gotten within 3 ft of me before he had gotten stoped. Was wondering if anyone else had a similiar experince?

Dubbya 04-12-2004 11:31 PM

RE: Close encounters with a bobcat

well it wasn't a stalking encounter, or at least I don't think it was. A couple of weeks ago a buddy and I were walking up a creek bottom looking for hogs. we were moving really quietly and slow. all the sudden about 5 yards to the left 2 bobcats took off out of the creek, it was pretty neat. I wish I had pegged them earlier, maybe could have had a shot.

bow_huntr 04-13-2004 12:08 AM

That sounds really nerve racking to be staring into the eyes of a Bobcat while he stares right back. I might of just tried to get him in my peep!

houdini 04-13-2004 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

well it wasn't a stalking encounter, or at least I don't think it was. A couple of weeks ago a buddy and I were walking up a creek bottom looking for hogs. we were moving really quietly and slow. all the sudden about 5 yards to the left 2 bobcats took off out of the creek, it was pretty neat. I wish I had pegged them earlier, maybe could have had a shot.
Well I don't how you define stalking but his belly was on the ground and he was working his way around to the side of me keeping his eyes on me the whole time. Looked like a house cat sneaking up on a bird or something. I really don't think he had me figured out as soon as I stood up he took off. Just curious as to where you were hog hunting since fur season ended last day of Feb. here in OK.

Arthur P 04-13-2004 07:33 AM

I've had coyotes, foxes and bobcats come in to a turkey call. They hunt turkeys too, ya know. ;)