Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wisconsin 2005 bowhunting season >

Wisconsin 2005 bowhunting season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin 2005 bowhunting season

Old 04-12-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Wisconsin 2005 bowhunting season

Heard on the news that the DNR plans to cut two weeks out of the bow season and extend the deer gun season to three weeks in 2005. Has anybody else heard anything on this?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wisconsin 2005 bowhunting season

Did you just hear this through the grapevine, or did you see some sort of documented proof on the DNR website or in a newspaper/magazine?
Old 04-12-2004, 04:29 PM
nub

NATURAL RESOURCES BOARD ADVISORY QUESTION

QUESTION ##, EXPANDED DEER SEASON PROPOSAL.

The Natural Resources Board (NRB) is seeking public input on modifying Wisconsin’s deer hunting framework to include an expanded deer gun season. During this season any legal firearm, muzzleloader or bow would be allowed. This proposal would not apply to CWD management zones. The details of the proposal include:

Zone T & Earn-A-Buck: The expanded deer gun season would eliminate the current 4-day October and 4-day December Zone T/Earn-A-Buck seasons.

Deer Gun Season: The deer gun season would begin on the traditional opening day, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and continue until the second Sunday in December.

Early Archery: Archery season would begin on the Saturday nearest Sept, 15th and continue through the Thursday before the deer gun season opener. (No change from present season.)

Late Archery Season: After closing for one day (Friday), the late archery season would begin on same day as the deer gun season opener (Saturday) and continue until January 3rd.

Muzzleloader Season: The separate muzzleloader season would be eliminated. Rather, the muzzleloader season would be incorporated into the gun season and the restriction on scopes over 1-power would be eliminated.

Permits: Each hunter would receive one either-sex and one antlerless carcass tag. (Except in non-quota units where the hunter would receive one antlered permit and no antlerless permit would be issued.)

If there is support for this advisory question, the NRB will direct the DNR to immediately begin a rule making process to establish the season outlined above. If the rule is approved and adopted prior to spring 2005, the season could be implemented in fall 2005.

Do you support the proposed expanded deer season that is outlined above?

______ YES ______ NO

Old 04-13-2004, 11:57 AM

That is just an advisory question from the DNR meetings last night. I am all for it if it means that we get the four days back from the T-zone during the rut. The first added week has been the muzzleloader season anyway so they are only taking one week out of late season archery.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard if it passed but I would hope not. Seems the DNR is trying to get the longer season (23 days) by claiming they will eliminate the early T-Zone and earn a buck in 2005. What they have also stated is that if the longer gun season does not result in the deer kill they feel is needed then they will be FORCED to bring back the earn a buck and T-zone. This will mean by 2006 we will have a longer gun season (which they have been after for years) and the other seasons back.

I have hunted in Wisconsin all my life (I'm 39) and I am both a gun hunter and a bow hunter. Last year 4 of us shot 7 deer on 80 acres of land. Six of these were does and one was an 8 point buck. Only 2 of the deer were shot with a bow. The year before we shot 5 deer (3 doe, 2 buck) all with a gun and all we have gotten for doing what they have asked it continued earn a buck and T-zone.

The WI DNR will never be happy with the deer kill so I am starting to think that maybe I will just take my one doe and then look for the buck. In the past I have always supported the DNR but now I am getting tired of getting it up the rear from them. I do believe the deer are out there because we continue to see them. We were out this past weekend and saw 11 on our property alone. I know we need to kill more but a longer gun season just does not work.

I do not claim to have the answers but to lead us on to think earn a buck and T-zone will go away forever is just not right. I voted no and I know many other who did the same. If anyone out there has any ideas please let the WI DNR know. Maybe they'll listen to you.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:11 PM

I had actually seen it on the news as a lead up and didn't see the actual report that's why i asked. But I believe that if the trophy hunters would also fill their antlerless permits the DNR wouldn't have to make those decisions if they don't want the meat there are plenty of people willing to take it!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:19 PM
nub

From the results I've heard so far, it has been voted down. Haven't heard of a single county where it was accepted. We will just have to wait and see.
But I believe that if the trophy hunters would also fill their antlerless permits the DNR wouldn't have to make those decisions
Every "Trophy" hunter I know(myself included), has a freezer full antlerless deer. Everyone needs to shoot more doe.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:25 PM

I agree with that. Filled two bonus tags last fall before the leaves were off the trees. I am still PO'd that the T-zone falls in the start of the rut and would not mind trading that off for a week of late season bow hunting. Granted, few gun hunters would be out in December and probably would not make a big difference in the overall kill numbers. They need to come up with another method to thin the doe numbers on private land, and earn-a-buck is the most effective. It may come to a "doe only" season in the near future.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd much rather have the 23 day season than earn a buck or zone t's!

For those who voted against the 23 day season , dont be surprised when they start up a lottery buck permit just like it used to be years ago with the doe permits!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:34 PM
nub

I'd much rather have the 23 day season than earn a buck or zone t's!
You don't seriously believe the 23 day season would mean the end of T Zone and EAB? Soon as the 23 day fails to hit that 20% goal, back come the T's , EAB, and a 23 day season![:@]
dont be surprised when they start up a lottery buck permit just like it used to be years ago with the doe permits!
Put the pipe down.[] It will never happen. But then if it did, imagine the monsters we would have roaming the woods then![8D]

Quick Reply: Wisconsin 2005 bowhunting season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.