Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary? >

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Old 04-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter
I shoot my shots, and I can live with that. Seeing one walk by at 40 yds, I never felt like"if only I'd practiced more, I could have shot him" but more like, "you picked the wrong tree dummy." To each his own. I have no problems with guys that need or like to shoot all year, you should have no problems with me shooting very little.

Well said rybohunter. I think shooting a bow is great fun, but it doesn't consume me year round. Actual hunting is what consumes me. My bow is a tool for my passion, not the passion itself. I usually only miss a hand full of days afield between October 1 and Jan 1. It's the hunting, not the shooting that is the powerful drug to me. I really don't think this makes me any less of a hunter than some of you that shoot year round. Could I keep up with you on the 3-D course? Probably, without too much trouble. Just not my thing I guess.

I do appreciate everyone's response to this - no one here is right or wrong, just the way we do things. It has made me think a little more about shooting year round. As someone said though, a live deer under you is a little different than the range. To me, nothing can mentally prepare you for that with exception to the real thing. I flat out know and have the utmost confidence in my ability to kill a deer with a bow. This is never in question.

BTW, this post may seem contrary to my name, so for those of you who may be wondering why an idiot like me with the name I have out here says he is good with his compound, here's the story.... I missed the same buck twice the first week of the season 3 days apart. Both shots were 16 yards, quartering away, clear shot. I named myself "badshotbob" to be reminded every day what can and will happen while deer hunting, no matter how good a shot you are. The first time I missed, a squirrel bounded over the downed tree the buck was standing along side a flash of a second before I released (kind of like locking your keys in your truck - the door is halfway shut when you realize it). As you may know, deer have lighting quick reflexes - he whirled to see what was coming over the tree after him just as my arrow went through the now void kill zone where he stood upon release. It was actually rather funny though. He never knew I shot the squirrel scared him so bad. The second time I missed this buck he was in much the same position. This time..... yep, you got it - I MISSED. Upon release, he took two steps forward and to his right allowing the arrow to tickle his belly. That shot went through my head right up until the last day of the season. It happens - you don't know what those targets are going to do. Had I practiced all year, would that have still happened? Yes. I do believe it would have.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:07 PM

I shoot year round. I just love it and can't stop.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:44 PM

I shot year around. If you can not shot year around, and still be accurate, thats great. I refer to people who don't have their stuff set up. Get it out and shot terrible, and still hunt. Then they don't know there limits. If you are hitting 6 inchs at what ever range it is ethical for you to shot an animal at that distance.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:06 PM

#1 Question: I shoot all year long. I love 3D's. When deer season starts, I bow hunt. When deer season is over, I shoot 3D's.

#2 Question: No it is not required.

Now my two cents: a 6" group sucks. I'm assuming at 20 yards? Reason I say this is the judging yardage equation is taken out. There's more to bowhunting than shooting groups at KNOWN yardages. And an additional 5- 10 yards can be hard to see from an untrained eye. And that additional yardage will result in a wound or miss. JMHO
Old 04-12-2004, 11:44 PM

Well if no one will say it I will. Hunters who pull there bow's out days before the season "should" examine there ethics. You couldn't play a good round of golf without a couple months practice? How good could you be at fielding a softball with out a few weeks practice? Bowhunting is the same. More so if your killing live game. If you only put that much effort into your equipment and shooting skills how much effort will you put into shot selection or tracking shills. If you misjudge the distance (which you will if you only practice a couple days a year)and make a bad hit will you only put a half a$$ effort into tracking a wounded animal? I honestly don't think a 6 in. group at your effective range is good enough for live game. Assuming it's 20 yds. Specially for someone only shooting a few days a year. What happens when you screw on broad heads. Now what size groups will you shoot? Don't you think you owe it to the game you hunt to be as effecient as possible with your equipment and shooting skills. I think you already know the answer to the question before you asked it.

If this seems like I'm coming down hard on ya I don't mean to. I just think you should rethink some of your priorities. We're hunting living breathing animals. There comes a responsibility with that. Why would you not put your very best effort into it? As bowhunters we're expected to be a cut above the rest. Thats tough to attchive without an honest effort. Jerry
Old 04-13-2004, 12:05 AM

I shoot about 9 months out of the year. I take the winter off primarily.

Although during the spring and summer I shoot with my neighbors and we play games with 3D targets such as Big Bull ( it is like playing horse in basketball but the 1st person shoots and you have to follow them with the same shot and if you miss you get a letter) and we also play 21 ( in this game the 1st person shoots and everyone playing has to take the same shot. You then score by where you hit and the 1st person who shot must make a scorable hit for the others to follow. You have the 12 ring, 10 ring, 8 ring and the body which is 5.)

These games really help with hunting situations because you shoot standing, kneeling, sitting and from differnt elevations and angles at the 3D targets. Also the competition is there to really make you try to shoot well. It is also a lot of fun.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would love to be able to shoot five times a week join leagues and such and get into shooting tournaments. Problem is that I have a wife that wants "her time" also. If I shot as much as I'd really like to I'd probably be divorced in less than a year. Between archery, firearms, fishing, hunting, skiing, and camping I have to take it all in smaller ammounts than some.

I try to shoot once a week or two in the off season though. Before I moved into this apartment for school I would shoot about three times a week in the yard but people tend to frown on that here.

She will hopefully be shooting right along with me here real soon though. She's is going to quit procrastonating and go buy her bow that she told me she wanted three months ago wether she likes it or not.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

besides being addictecd, I think that there is a reason that professional athletes practice all year long. I mean the basketball is the same size when I pull it out of the closet each summer, but if i did it all the time I might be a lot better.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:52 AM

I shoot year round, because I enjoy it. Target shooting is fun and keeps my shooting skills tuned. Is it necessary? Absolutely not!

I'm quite positive most archers can shoot better today, with one week of practice, than I could 30 years ago when I practiced with my recurve year around. Was I unethical hunting with my recurve? No way! I simply waited until the animal was within my effective range, which wasn't much beyond 10 yards. You can do the same. More practice, will simply extend your effective range. Ethics has nothing to do with your shooting ability. It has to do with shooting in situations that are within your effective abilities. A hunter can be the best shot and the most unethical of people, all at the same time. Conversely, a pathetic shooter can be very ethical. Don't worry about others who think you need to practice year around to ethical. It has nothing to do with it.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Straightarrow...I agree. It's really up to the shooter's ability.
Now if you suck, and you know you suck.....and you still don't practice before you head out, well that might be a different story.

Quick Reply: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.