Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary? >

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Old 04-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

I practice a lot spring summer and fall, but lay off sometimes during winter. The longest layoff I've ever had was about 3 months, and I honestly shot just as well the first practice after the layoff as I ever shoot.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:30 PM

I think there are a least two different types of people on here. Those who just bowhunt, and those who are archers who also bowhunt. I personally enjoy shooting, when I shoot I don't think of it as practice, I do it because I want to, not that I need to. If I would wait until a week before to start shooting it would seem like a job. I would probably say something like, I geuss I should get my bow out and shoot some it's almost bow season, to me that makes it seem like something that I have to do. I enjoy shooting way to much, I don't want to sit back and wait until a week before season, but that's just me, to each his own.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:31 PM

I, like ArthurP will not honestly answer this question for the same reason. I will say this though, I shoot about 40-50 arrows everyday, even during the winter. I just love shooting my bow. If I can't hit that little x-ring in a five spot target at least 4 out of 5 times at 20 yards then I'm not a happy camper. I shoot as many 3d shoots as I can through out the state and nationally as well. I shoot all hunter class and use the same exact setup for competition that I will take out into the woods, minus the broadhead for field point switch. Where I live I have the ability to practice out to 100 yards. I'm usually in a 6 inch circle consistently out to 70 and then it opens up a considerably out past 85 yards. At 100 my pin covers the whole bag so I just keep consintrating on holding it steady and I manage to hit the bag 2 out of 3 times. Would I ever ethically shoot at a deer at that range? Hell no, not even at 40. I know I can hit the 10 spot on a deer everytime at 40, but there's just too many variables.

But it all just trickles down to fun. I love shooting my bow and have the most fun doing it. It's not just another tool to extend my hunting season...archery season is my hunting season.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:58 PM

I practice all year long just because I owe to the game I hunt to make a quick clean kill. I feel that I need this amount of practice to stay on top of the game. I just dont feel confident enough with myself and my equipment with only minimal practice. Everyone knows practice makes perfect. I guess I practice alot also because I love ARCHERY
Old 04-12-2004, 02:02 PM

I shoot most of the year, but it is not necessary. For some people I think it is, but I know others who can still shoot great after not touching their bow for 9 months. I agree with rack also. A lot of it depends on what skill level you are happy with.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do , you got to realize , jan. 15th its usealy a high of 70 degrees down here , for you guys who have ice that time of year I can see takeing a month or 2 off , but would still fire a couple off at close range in the basement or something to keep in shape .
Old 04-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's absolutely neccessary. Sure, you will probably be much better if you do shoot year round. My schedule is so crazy the last few years...I never know when or how much I'm gonna get to shoot. Sometimes it's alot more than other times. I can honestly say....that I know I could go out and kill a deer within my normal range (under 25) without any practice at all. It ain't rocket science. Once your bow is tuned correctly, and you have been at it a while....it's almost second nature.
Would I ever do that? No way.
However, I have had years where I've been so busy I haven't been able to practice much, and I was still very accurate, and grouping well right out of the gate.

3 years ago, I spent every weekend for about 8 months, and many weeknights building my house. I moved in on Sept 25...1 week before archery season opened up. I had an honest 5 days of practice (probably an hour each day) before the season opened. First day, 22yd double lung on a doe. I couldn't have made a better shot on her if I had practiced 500 shots a week the whole year prior. So yes...it can be done, but I personally prefer to shoot as much as I can. Like others have said, I like to shoot, plus I feel much more confident knowing I've been shooting regularly most of the year. Most years I shoot from about April to October a few times a week, then it tapers down during the season to about 1 time a week, then after the season when time and weather permit, I will shoot. Time is probably the biggest factor for me anymore.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I can say is--if I don't shot my bow, I get the feeling I haven't taken my pills for the day. I am addicted to my bows and thank God, it's the only addiction I have.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot my bow for fun. About a month or so before the season I start shooting cause it gets me excited about the approaching season. My sights are exactly were I left them. I start out shooting from the ground just to get my muscles back in line, then its up a tree. Before its all done, my shots are in full hunting gear from a tree, just like I hunt. I hunt under a fairly strict shot selection. Accuracy does not limit my effective range, my personal feelings on shot distance do. I like em close, not seeing how far away I can still hit it. Most places I hunt are so thick, you couldn't shoot 40 yds with a rifle, let alone a bow. I shoot my shots, and I can live with that. Seeing one walk by at 40 yds, I never felt like"if only I'd practiced more, I could have shot him" but more like, "you picked the wrong tree dummy." To each his own. I have no problems with guys that need or like to shoot all year, you should have no problems with me shooting very little.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:01 PM

I use a similar method of that of shed33. I hardly get out to shoot in the winter time because it gets so darn cold here and I do not shoot in an indoor range. I usually start shooting in june at least once a week through July. When August rolls around I go out and shoot just about every night if the weather permits me to. In the week before the elk opener i shoot like a mad man usually twice a day. I want everything bang on for that opening day and my confidence level high.

Quick Reply: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.