Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary? >

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Old 04-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

ORIGINAL: stealthycat

I could give a rat's behind if someone chooses to use a compound, long bow, self bow, or a cross bow. Who friggin cares, mon!?
Uh, most bowhunters care big time what you use - people get rabid about the CHOICE of using a crossbow but will defend to the death THEIR choice of a compound.

Now ya gotta agree THAT is someting, right ?

I see, I see. Sorry Stealth, a little slow around this time of day.

I guess I'm not one of those people. I like my compound, but love the recurve. I still see them both as a tool to hunt deer with though. Sure, the recurve is more challenging, but if we want to make it a real challenge, why don't we jump out from behind a tree with a hand widdled finely tuned club?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:44 PM

I shoot year round. I don't want that shot of a lifetime to present itself and wonder in the back of my head..."Did I practice shooting enough??"
Old 04-22-2004, 02:49 PM

g
Old 04-22-2004, 03:04 PM

Let's define year round........ I shoot about 20-30 arrows once maybe twice a week during the spring and summer. As the fall approaches I usually shoot every other day and keep that pace until the season is over. I usually do no shooting from during February and March, I consider them to be off season.

Would you consider that to be enough shooting?.....

BTW, ewolf, I would not change my routine for a pay hunt.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of you that don't practice year around. Would you practice more if you are going to pay $3,000 to go on a hunt?
I can tell you that they guy that I was referring to wouldn't! We went to Illinois together last year and he didn't shoot at all other than the couple of deer that he shot between Oct. 1 (opening day) and Nov. (when we went on our hunt).

PS He smoked a P&Y 11pt the first day of the hunt
Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I am ever on my belly with my bow.........it means I just fell 20 ft
lmao.....good one Rack

Stealthy, I don't plan on being on my belly when I shoot at a deer. I don't plan on shooting at one with my fingers either, though I did it for 10 years. The reason I hunt with the equipment that I do is simple........I feel like it's the most effective equipment on the market. I feel like the equipment that Iuse is the most accurate type of equipment and that it will allow me to be the most efficient hunter possible, to be able to make the cleanest kills possible, and to be the most consistently accurate at the varied distances that may arise while hunting. It has nothing to do with ease of use or lack preparation or practice it's merely the equipment that makes me feel like I am the deadliest hunter that I can be. Apparently, it's working, as I understand it, the deer in my area have formed a joint action committee and are trying to have me banned from archery season all together
Old 04-22-2004, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

If a trad guy shoots his bow every day of the year and scouts a month before the season. Do I have the right to say he is not a bow HUNTER - just a Bow shooter.

Because you know..........I am in the woods almost every weekend of the year.

Are you?????......... Or do you take the EASY WAY out and just hope for a Dink or a Doe??? Because REAL hunters like me Hunt the way it was meant to be, for Mature Bucks. Real Hunters don't shoot Dinks or Does.

Do you choose the Hardest Weapon to shoot and then Copout by shooting little doe?????????

If you LOVED BOWHUNTING as much as I do - you would be out scouting ALL year. It is obvious you Don't. You are just a stick shooter[:-]

I'll bet it didn't take you long to think that one up

Finally found an acceptable place to slip it in..........BRAVO

Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 PM

I don't know if I have the energy to go read through this mess
Old 04-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

...My goodness, this thread may be a microcosm of why hunting is vulnerable. I find it amazing how quick people are to jump down another's throat in the name of ethics.

After watching this thread for a couple of days and reading the six or so pages of bickering up to this point I find myself shaking my head. We aren't splitting atoms or curing cancer here, we are talking about bow hunting for Pete's sake.

I also shoot all year round but it is certainly not something I feel should be required of everyone. All of us are at different levels concerning our archery ability. Should some practice more to better hone their skills? Sure, but we could say that about any and all of us. Any responsible hunter will do what he has to do to be proficient with his weapon. Those that won't, as we know, are not truly hunters and we will have little influence on their stupidity.

I think BadshotBob has convinced me that he is fully capable of not only shooting efficiently in a hunting situation but more importantly making wise decisions on what shots to take. I see a world of difference between what he is describing and the person who gets a bow the day before going in the field to try and kill something.

I think there are times we spend so much time harping on the importance of shooting the bow and equating it with ethics, we over look other preparations and responsiblilities that are at least as equally important.

We are not going to strengthen our hunting solidarity or raise the level of ethics in bowhunting circles by pointing fingers, attacking those that "don't do it the right way (our way)", and calling people names in a hunting forum on the internet.

...Oh my goodness I sound pompous....That's it, these early morning turkey hunts and late night hours are making a monster out of me!!! I will step off the soap box now.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:56 AM

I'll bet it didn't take you long to think that one up

Finally found an acceptable place to slip it in..........BRAVO
I have been waiting every day since the last time

I will now have to wait until the next time..........

Shouldn't be long.............

Quick Reply: Who Practices Year-Round? Is it REALLY Necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.