Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Face it or tree between? >

Face it or tree between?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Face it or tree between?

Old 04-12-2004, 10:13 PM

Default RE: Face it or tree between?

Left Quartering presents my best shooting option.

I read or heard somewhere that if you have to hide behind something, your camo isn't doing its job.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I face away from the tree unless it's been a really slow day and I need a change of scenery.

I like to keep my best shot alleys in front of me or to my left with a few decent sized trees between me and the main trail.
That way I can draw without being seen when the deer's head goes behind a tree trunk. If a deer walks by on the trail from in front of me to my left, then I will get a broadside shot at my left. If the deer walks along the trail from my left to in front of me, then I'll have a quartering away shot when he gets out front. I learned my lesson the hard way about this. My first deer was almost a non-lethal wounding. He was on my off-side (right for me), and I was too close to the trail. He was too close to risk changing my foot position and I took the shot with my feet facing forward and my bow pointing to my right at about 2:00. It was tough, and I messed up the release a bit causing my arrow to hit the spine and ground him. A finishing shot was easy enough and he died quickly, but I felt badly enough that I'll never take that shot again.

I also stay in the shade or have the sun at my back whenever possible.

I try to keep my back to dense cover so I don't get blindsided. That way if a deer comes past, he has to do it in front of me.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i set my stands up so the area i expect to get a shot is slightly to my left because im a righty. i shoot sitting down in a 15 foot ladder stand most of the time.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:53 PM

Zak123. I'm a hang on stand kind of guy. I get up in them puppys as high as i can. If i think i will fall and live i'm not high enough. The only problem with the theory is one thing. WIND KILLS YOU. Its like trying to shot fish from a john boat in the ocean during a storm, its almost impossible. I have stands set up for windy days, but most of the time i try not to hunt windy days, i don't see much anyhow. Pines have the best cover of any tree out there.