Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Horrible

Old 04-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Horrible

I was a whimp and waite fr someone else but I bet you the suffering was less with the head shot then any other shot. There are other shots that are great kill zone rather then heart or lung. In fact my quickest kill was hitting the artery in front of the hips. Momma never took a step.

Secondly deer are a bad subject in may areas. People want them dead period. I ask you if you had a mouse/rodent problem would you deal with it or let them live?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:04 PM

Stealthycat, a few years back my dad and I were off scouting some new property we planned to hunt a good ways north of where we are now. We were walking across a field to a woodlot that was about 3 acres square. As we were just about to hop the fence when a doe hopped over about 75 yards away. We decided to sit and watch. About 10 minutes later a buck stumbled into view, hopped the fence, and zig-zagged his way closer to the doe.

Wondering what was wrong my father and I started to creep down the fenceline to get a better look. We got about 30 yards away and the doe decided that she'd had enough, she took off. We got 20 yards away from the buck. Then 15. Then 10. By now we were close enough to see what was wrong. The buck had part of an arrow sticking out of his head. Apparently someone had made a poor shot, hitting the deer in the head.

The broadhead was sticking out of one side and about 3" was sticking out of the other side. This deer was bad off. It was a wonder he hadn't died yet. It was however the last time we saw him.

It was a poor shot to make. Too many things could have gone wrong. Wind drift, she may have turned her head, etc, etc... Poor shot, not one anyone should take.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is not something I would want my son or daughter to see. Head shots are never a good idea. What if you missed just a little and hit the mouth. How long before the deer dies of starvation? This is just plain bad for bow hunting.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:31 PM

I agree the first shot was questionable because of the angle. However I have heard many "experts" say once you hit a deer and you can put another arrow in the deer anywhere do it. I don't remember who it was but they shot a deer in the hind quarter as it was going away after the first hit.

I cannot tell exactly what the hunter could see vs the camera but he did finish the deer. I wouldn't take that as a first shot myself but if I hit a deer and all I could see was its head I might shoot it in a finishing shot. But I wouldn't put it on the internet either.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:44 PM

first off, in my opinon the first shot should have never been taken!! quatering towards is not a good shot period!! the head shot, you can clearly see from his reaction after the shot he was just showing off, there was no need for that shot to ever take place, if you look closely at his second shot you can see the deer is down, only after he hits her in the head does she jump up and run. totaly unethical!!!!!! A blantent disregard to the respect that wildlife deserve..
complete passthrough, the deer was dead already. The head shot ? He took it, he made it , how can ya'll argue with that ?

Look, he killed a deer, no more and no less than each deer ya'll have killed or wounded.

Question - Do ya'll think it would have been more human to let the deer die of a lvier/one lung shot than to have ended it quickly with a head shot ?

you your self just the deer was already dead,, so why was there a need to shot her in the head.... I strongly bon't belive he did it to end her suffering, to me that is just something you don't do.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 1st shot was a bit to steep of an angle for my liking. (to play devil's advocate...flip the deer quartering away and you all take the shot....and in theory, wind up in the same situation)

as far as the 2nd shot, I am of the camp, you get a 2nd arrow into that deer the first chance you get. Him tagging her in the head as a finishing shot, ends things real quick. Have you guys ever followed a bloodtrail to a live deer sitting there? What'd you do?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:51 PM

Arthur P
I agree with Arthur P .
Old 04-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Any recovered shot (deer in the freezer) is a good shot as far as I'm concerned. Any shot on video is a bad mark on archery period. I wish I was perfect every time but I'm not, but I try and that's why I practice.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timberjack82

http://www.texasbowhunter.com/live/2...al/badshot.wmv
this is another bad one.
It said the doe survived this shot.
Oh, I see what his problem was in this video. He was shooting a Hoyt.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:05 PM

I dont care HOW LONG youve been bowhunting, those two shots were unethical and should not have been taken, he did take both its over and done with, IF i was in his place i certainly wouldnt post it on a site to appear as a bada$$, when in reality he appears as a dumba$$. Just the type of thing we need anti-hunters seeing!