Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who uses their harness while climbing? >

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Old 04-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who uses their harness while climbing?

Dave, Summit Stands sell a climbing system that allows you to be connected to the tree the entire time you're climbing, up or down.

It's a 30 foot length of rope tied to the tree just above the level of your tree stand seating position and then drop then the rope hangs to the ground. On this length of rope there another rope tied in a prusic knot that 'easilly slides' when load isn't applied and as soon load is applied the knot locks itself to the hanging rope.
It's a very simple system and works GREAT.
Summit sells the system for about $29--but you can easilly make a few yourself, just make sure you purchase a rope that has enough and more than enough breaking weight.
There is absolutely no hassles to using this system and it's not a PIDA either and will work on trees WITH or without branches.
If it saves you once, it may have saved your life--just for the cost of a few
BUCKS!!!
I sincerely recommend this system to everyone---and I am NOT an employee of Summit Stands, like I'd said earlier, anyone can make this thing themself--the prusic knot is the important knot and of course the breaking strength of both ropes.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ampa, where did you find the climbing system for $29? The best I have found is $35.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike..Summit Treestands Inc. Decatur Alabama 256 353-0634, ask to speak to Karen or www. summitstands.com.
But like I'd said you can make it yourself and much cheaper.
I've used a 1/2 black polypropylene rope, the breaking strength was I think 5000 lbs, I picked it up at Home Depot and I tied the prusic knot myself--it's quite simple.
I wish if I could find a demo of the knot, I'll keep checking--if I do I'll post a link to it.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:26 PM

http://www.utas.edu.au/docs/climbing...s/prussic.html There is the prussic knot.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:28 PM

When using a climbing stand, I use it will ascending/sitting/descending. With a fixed position stand, as mentioned earlier, you may have 6-7 more chances of falling while fumbling around branches.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Zak, here's another link--scroll down a bit until you get there.
http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/kites/diamond/
Old 04-07-2004, 04:42 PM

I always use one with my climber. I never do with my lock on stands. Stupid, I know.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:30 PM

I don't use climbers, But I do wear one while in my hang ons. I don't have one while ascending or descending. I also wear one while hanging the stand.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:50 PM

I always use mine it saved me from a 25 foot fall once.I never climb without it.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always do. If I feel lazy or start to climb without it I think of my Son and what he would do without his daddy It doesn't take long to put it on after that!

Quick Reply: Who uses their harness while climbing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.