Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent lok-who has never spent a dime on it? >

Scent lok-who has never spent a dime on it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent lok-who has never spent a dime on it?

Old 04-05-2004, 03:34 PM

Default RE: Scent lok-who has never spent a dime on it?

Alloutdoors,

I know of dozens of stories similar to Arthurs. I've experienced many myself. Frequently, deer are simply not spooked by human scent.

The best story I know of, happened to my college room mate, while we were doing some preseason scouting of Elk in the Colorado high country. He was sitting on the ground looking at some far-away bulls with his binocs, when he heard some elk, downwind, coming up behind him. He layed flat on the ground, next to a small rock ledge that was about 1 foot high. A cow came up to the rock ledge on stood there, only a few inches from him. He was scared half to death, that if he moved she might startle and trample him. Instead, the cow took a pee, that splashed on the rock ledge and got all over him. It then, stepped over him, and continued on at a slow walk! No one in the world can convince me that it didn't smell him, or that it cared. Myself, even though I've had many deer within feet of me and downwind, nothing compared to that, in excitement.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the new SL clothing is as light as a cotton T shirt and I don't want anything that is going to make me sweat more than I already am.
I am stating a fact and you are merely speculating.

The scent lok material is as thin as a cotton t-shirt. I didn't say the jacket ,pant, etc etc is as thin as a cotton t-shirt. I said the scent lok material is.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will post some scent lok up close pics of deer.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Never bought it and I never will. In fact, I need all you guys to stop creating a market for this stuff so that I can find a good set of regular NON-VELCRO pants that don't cost 110 bucks!

Hunting clothes are getting ridiculously expensive and it's easy to see how they're being manufactured and marketed. Anything decent with quiet fasteners and adjustables an it cost an arm and a leg - because it's undoubtably laced with some brand name something that someone keeps buying. The "lesser" pants not only don't have the commercial whatcha-ma-callit all over it, but they sew in velcro everywhere.

What's with velcro on hunting pants?[:@] It's almost as noisy as the carbon liners they put in these things.

Keep clean, hunt the wind, and use spray on scent killers. You'll have something to where at every temperature and maybe even a pair of pants that don't sound like you're wearing a tarp...........

If I had the extra 100 bucks to waste, I'd buy a pair of those otherwise very well designed pants and tear the silly liner right out of it.

*Breathe*..........sorry for the rant.[&o]
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here are some close up pics for you guys. All were taken from a natural ground blind on the ground. With an HP digital camera.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll have something to where at every temperature and maybe even a pair of pants that don't sound like you're wearing a tarp...........
I just shake my head when I hear someone say something so stupid. You really have no clue what you are speaking of. If you want to contribute to this thread not just take up bandwidth post something correct. Not just your assumption of how things really are.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

When I tried it on, what part of the crinkling liner did I misinterpret as noise?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:13 PM
AK

I say damn the stuff if it does work, damn it if it does not.

First, I have my own doubts as to the adsorption properties of charcoal suits, particularly after repeated wearings. We use carbon to filter volatile organics from contaminated groundwater in the environmental field. In order to strip the organics from "spent" carbon (or to "regenerate" it), it has to be heated to somewhere around 1,000 degrees or so. I'm not aware of a clothes dryer that comes close to approaching that temperature. Of course, carbon suits can be washed and come out smelling fresh like any clothes...but the charcoal's available adsorption sites will still be filled.

Did a quick google search and found this link describing carbon used for vapor phase stripping.

http://www.cpeo.org/techtree/ttdescript/vapphas.htm

Second, if there was such a suit that performed as claimed, I'd have my own personal issue with it, in that it would allow what I'd consider to be an unfair advantage. While others may seek technology to eliminate an animal's sense of smell from the equation, I seek to challenge it.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I don't think the new SL clothing is as light as a cotton T shirt and I don't want anything that is going to make me sweat more than I already am.
I am stating a fact and you are merely speculating.

The scent lok material is as thin as a cotton t-shirt. I didn't say the jacket ,pant, etc etc is as thin as a cotton t-shirt. I said the scent lok material is.
So what you are saying is that there is a camo SL long sleeve t shirt that is as thin as cotton Tshirt? If there is great! If not, then it is too hot for me to wear in early bow season.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

You'll have something to where at every temperature and maybe even a pair of pants that don't sound like you're wearing a tarp...........
I just shake my head when I hear someone say something so stupid. You really have no clue what you are speaking of. If you want to contribute to this thread not just take up bandwidth post something correct. Not just your assumption of how things really are.
Dude, don't you think you ought to bring it down a notch or two?

Quick Reply: Scent lok-who has never spent a dime on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.