Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Creating bedding areas >

Creating bedding areas

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Creating bedding areas

Old 03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Creating bedding areas

Invasive weeds--you know, the kind that are illegal to plant--seem to be the best cover plants for deer. Around here, mulit-flora rose is the preferred illegal, invasive weed.

Deer love it. They seem to glide right through the stuff, they also eat it like crazy and they KNOW that any hunter approaching them will be making a lot of noise due to getting stuck and ripped apart by the briars.

My advice is to maintain trails WHERE YOU WANT THEM by trimming the bushes so that you can approach your stand silently, without leaving your scent on them.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though it may Jeopardize my Sponserships - I have to agree with DC

if you create a large enough area that is thick - Deer will use it as a Safe Haven

And if it is in the right area - with the right conditions - I think there is a very good chance to get some mature buck holding up in it.
Although I am questioning my own judgement......I agree with RA & DC[:-]
Old 03-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy planted "pitch pines" at his place with good success, and had them mailed from "Woodstock Nursery" in Michigan or Minnesota. Apparently, it is a strain of pine that deer don't like to eat. Check into that, because his property is loaded with deer but they didn't even touch those pines.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:29 PM

The only time it gets flooded is in feb and Mar. when the snow melts and freezes and repeats that a couple times before April... Right now its back down to normal and we had about 36 to 42 inches of snow this winter and a lot of rain recently. So, its only a short time the water level is up...

I think the river spot is the best spot because I have an acre food plot right beside it, and there is a 700 acre county park on the other side of the river that is fairly thick that no one is supposed to hunt... I just need to keep them on my side to bed. We only shoot six points and bigger right now. They pass thru and chase does, but I need to be able to hold them longer!! We have 4 acres of food plots and lots of white oaks... Just can't seem to hold the big boys...
Old 03-24-2004, 07:13 PM

Even though it may Jeopardize my Sponserships - I have to agree with DC
Although I am questioning my own judgement......I agree with RA & DC

I guess I'll never live that one rant down....???

BTW, just what are THEY giving you guys
Old 03-24-2004, 07:33 PM

I've also been looking into various things to plant to "thicken" up some areas on the property I hunt. I have probably 20 acres scattered about that I would love to plant some type of cover or plant. Most is sandy soil next to a creek. Flooding is not a problem, but I do not want to cut trees to make it happen.

You may want to check into planting canes, dewberry, honey suckle, etc. I will be experimenting with several different plants soon, I'll let you know what results I have.