HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Red-Dot Scopes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/56565-red-dot-scopes.html)

Boone14622 03-22-2004 04:45 AM

Red-Dot Scopes

After 16 seasons of using peepsights and pins, I was thinking of switching to a Red-Dot scope. If anybody has one, I'd like to here from you on the model you have, and the positives and negatives of a Red-Dot compared to the conventional bow sights.

BOONE

Fieldmouse 03-22-2004 05:05 AM

RE: Red-Dot Scopes

I can't say enough about my Red Dot Scope. It's so awesome it should be illegal.

The set up and shot is quicker. It also will eliminate the kisser if you use one. With intensity adjustment you can't beat it for low light conditions. I did have one bad habit to break when I switch from sights & peep. That was closing one eye. I shot with one eye close before. With the scope you keep both opened.

I have the Pollinton scope and it's negative was the price I paid. I did see one on Cabellas or Bass pro for about $100 with built in cross hairs.

Good luck I would never go back.

wseiland13 03-22-2004 08:08 AM

I have one and love it. I have a 50mm bsa scope mounted to HHA adjustable brackets. I love not having to use a peep sight, and shooting with both eyes open. The low light visibility is superior to sights I have used in the past. The only thing I don't like is the weight of the scope, allthough I will be getting a smaller scope soon. I have had people shake their heads at my setup, but after seeing how my bow shoots they change their minds.

kman 03-22-2004 01:44 PM

I tried a red dot scope last year and it was a miserable failure!!!! I could not get the thing sighted in...not even on paper at 10 yards. I'd love to put one back on but I am at a total loss on how to sight it in. I think my major problem was torquing my bow. But as soon as I thought that was sorted out and was on paper three shots later I was missing by a mile. I did all the obvious things like make sure everything was tightened down and keep a consistent anchor.
Any advice on how to sight in a red dot would be greatly appreciated.

selway 03-22-2004 06:11 PM

10 yards is to close to sight in. parallax sets in you can tell how far you have to be from the target by looking though the scope up and down and side to side if the dot on the object dose not move you know your far enough away.that said a cheap bsa scope witch is a toy will not hold up to vibrations from the bow it will shake apart in no time.it also eats batterys like there going out of style.if you want to do it right grt a aimpoint 10 year battery life one year if you leave it on all the time.great lens system it is parallax free no matter where you look threw it. i have played with mine enough to know you can only sight in one yardage regardless of the adjustable mount.. it is deadly accurate but at 1# it is heavy. i still use a peep and pins thou. its like buying a bsa scope or a ziess you get what you pay for. as for sighting them in it is a pain in the butt once sighted in they are deadly accurate you should have a buddy help you sight in. AND MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT RATTLE LOOSE.i hope this helps

wseiland13 03-23-2004 06:42 AM

I have to agree with you selway. A BSA scope is cheap, and you do get what you pay for. I got a BSA only because I wanted to save money (just in case I didn't like it). I am looking for a good replacement. Selway, I have a few questions for you. What type of scope do you have, and how much do they go for?