Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 college student not much money to spend >

college student not much money to spend

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

college student not much money to spend

Old 03-19-2004, 06:27 AM

Default college student not much money to spend

Hello, I started archery hunting last year and used for what amounts to a kids bow for the first year. I am hooked forever! I would like to buy a used bow and am looking at a darton fury express. Can anybody tell me would this be a decent bow? My draw length is 28 inches and would like a 60lb to 70lb bow. Any replies will be appreciated on this bow or one someone might have to sell. Thanks and take care!
Old 03-19-2004, 06:34 AM

Default RE: college student not much money to spend

I don't have any bows for sale, but I have a tip.

Get a job at a sporting goods store and get a nice discount on a bow.[8D]
Old 03-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm afraid I don't know anything about that Darton, but I'll give you some general guidelines.

For a fairly new shooter, I'd recommend a bow that has a brace height of at least 7 1/2". No less than 36" axle to axle. Minimal reflex in the handle and straight or deflexed handles would be even better. The less reflex, the less speed you'll get but, more importantly, the fewer problems you'll have with torque. You're goal should be to develop form and accuracy right now, not all out speed.

With used bows, try and take an experienced shooter along with you - one that knows what problems to avoid - and give it a good inspection. Look for dinged, nicked or bent cams. Check to make sure the limb butts fit correctly in the limb pockets. Draw the bow and look for excessive cam lean at full draw. Hold the bow up and eyeball down the string from one cam to the other and make sure the string tracks down the middle from groove to groove.

Ask the guy selling it when it was restrung and recabled, and cleaned and lubed last time. If he can't remember or doesn't know, that will be the first thing you'll need to get done. Make sure the price is low enough to compensate for the cost of relacement rigging and service.

There are a lot of good, lightly used bows out there, but there are a lot of worn out old dogs too. Be careful, and good luck.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:49 AM

Also there is a buckmaster 2000 in the local paper here. Would it make a nice bow?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

what is your budget??

I was in the same boat as you about 5-6 years ago. I went with a used bow (Pearson Renegade - $80). By the time I was done having it set up/tunes and got a few accessories the total was about $160. As most will advise (although I diddn't when buying my new bow) go to different shops and try out the bows. Find a good shop (I made that mistake with the used bow - it wasn't set up properly and had to get it "re-setup"). Not that there is anything wrong with starting with a used bow, but I would suggest trying to scrape up the money for a low end new bow (many brands make decent $200 rigs). You will probibly be buying a new bow within 3-5 years anyway. If not, still shop around and find a good proshop.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:49 AM

thanks for all the replies. There are only two archery shops in a close distance of me. I have went to both and they tried selling me a new bow. My budget is only 200 dollars. I realize that isn't much nowdays but with working part time its all i can afford at this time!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:52 AM

ridge16245:

Is that particular Darton considered a high performance (speed) bow with hard cam/cams? If so, it might not be the bow for you at this time. Learning to understand when your setup is in tune or out of tune, and how to tune your bow yourself will be one of your biggest challenges.

Until you know your way around a bow and arrow flight, I suggest you go with a bow that fits your skill level and is not overly sensitive to flaws in your form.....and there will be.

If you want a more power than a "standard wheelie" bow, but easy to shoot and easier to tune and will stay in tune longer, find yourself a good used Martin that has a 35+ axle-to-axle with "Ultra-Sonic" wheels (soft cam).
Old 03-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

hey ridge I have just what your looking for..i have a fury and a pse thunderbolt that im willing to sell for under $200..let me know if your interseted.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:44 PM

Go to e-bay and search there, you can get good bows that people want to sell for pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: college student not much money to spend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.