Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Problem with dropping my bow >

Problem with dropping my bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Problem with dropping my bow

Old 03-18-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Problem with dropping my bow

I only have one problem. I shoot in competition and am pretty good. But everyone i talk to and shoot with tell me i have a problem with dropping my bow when i shoot. What could i do to help me quit dropping my bow?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Problem with dropping my bow

id like it if someone could reply sometime soon
Old 03-18-2004, 09:14 PM

Let me guess.............................

You are impatient, and can't wait to see the arrow in the target - so you drop the bow and peek to see the arrow

Follow through, and don't break form until the arrow has hit the target

Old 03-18-2004, 09:39 PM

Get a sling also.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are all quotes:

AIM the bow, AIM the bow, AIM the bow. Shoot the bow--let the bow shoot the arrow. The best shots you will ever make will be the one you never see the arrow go.

If you aim the bow, shoot the bow, let the bow shoot the arrow, and follow through you'll make beter shots. And if you don't see the arrow go thenyou know it should be right where your sight pin was when the bow went off.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 PM

Hey buddy I also had this problem and am in the process of breaking the habit. As I go through the ritual of drawing, taking aim and sqeezing the trigger, I say to myself "Get it there and keep it there!".

This means get your sight pin (or whatever you use to aim) where you want it to be on the target and keep it there even after you've shot. Once shot, hold this position as if you are still drawn back and aiming for a few seconds or untill the arrow hits.

You might not think it but when you get into a bad habit of looking where the arrow goes you get to caught up in where it is going to hit and not making it actually HIT it. If ya get what I mean.

Hope I helped and good luck.
Stalkin Steve
Old 03-19-2004, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me guess.............................

You are impatient, and can't wait to see the arrow in the target - so you drop the bow and peek to see the arrow
Sorry I cant help right now. I'm too busy wiping my eyes from laughing so hard at R-A!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Set your draw length so that your arm is slightly bent. The release will push the bow forward and not down.

Feel free to call me on that one guys!

Fritz
Old 03-19-2004, 06:51 AM

I find that by concentrating on my site pin, even after the shot that, I don't drop my bow to peek. Dropping the bow is normally caused by looking at the target to see where your arrow hit to early ... or complete lack of follow through. If you are shooting pretty good, and shoot competitions .. one of the ways to take your shooting to the next level is start working on your mechanics AFTER the shot. Most people focus all of their efforts on everything that happens till they hit their release .... spend some time working on your form after the shot ... such as staying with your sight picture .. keeping that release elbow high ... smooth straight back movement on the release arm .. and keeping that bow arm up and relaxed.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:17 PM

Like everyone else says, your trying to look at your arrow before it hits. You have to fallow through. Dont pull your arm down untill you hear that arrow, and even then, dont pull it down. Your arrow is still going to be in the target when you walk down there, so theres no sense in trying to look for it. just remember, aim and follow through.

Quick Reply: Problem with dropping my bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.