Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-16-2004, 10:17 AM

Default RE: Why can't I pull more weight?

Do you lift weights?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lifting weights should help you to get past a sticking point.
Some of it may be mental. Have somebidy hand you a bow that you don't know what the weight is set at and see if you can pull it back
Old 03-16-2004, 10:23 AM

To add strength you may want to join a gym or get some free weights for at home and start a weight training program. Concentrating on upper body work such as arms, shoulders, and back can improve the amount you can draw.

Another exercise that could help would be to simply draw your bow and hold as long as possible...then rest....then repeat...etc. After time you'll not only be able to hold longer but you should be able to up the poundage that you can draw.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:24 AM

Are you pulling with your arms and not your back? You should be using the back muscles to do most of the work. A good pro shop can help you to check and develop this.

Greg
Old 03-16-2004, 10:24 AM

My first recommendation would be to drop the vegetarian thing .. eat meat .. it creates muscle.

Second ... take the pocket protector out of your shirt, you could get hurt if your string ever got caught.

Third, ever do a push up? A pull up? How about pick something up heavier than your laptop?

Oh heck Bowman2213 .. you made that WAY to easy!!!!

Seriously .. start exercising. You can't lift more weight, or pull back more weight in your case without strengthening your muscles. You could even start shooting more as part of your exercise regime .. the more you shoot .. the easier it will get .. the more you could pull back. It's not rocket science.

You really don't have to pull more than you are .. but it must be tough getting pushed around by all the little old ladies .. sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 AM

How often do you shoot?

How many arrows in a sesion?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:53 AM

WELL,

the obvious answer would be lift weights and shoot your bow more than a few times a year
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since you're already comfy at 60 pounds, get yourself a bow that draws 60 pounds at the low end of it's draw weight range. Try to shoot every other day. It's very important to allow your muscles a day of rest between sessions or you will impede your progress. Shooting only once a week or less will also impede your progress.

So, we'll assume you'll shoot every other day. Once a week, increase the draw weight by a half turn on the limb bolts. That lets your muscles adapt slowly and, unlike weight lifting, you'll be strengthening the specific muscles and supporting muscles you'll be using to shoot.

You'll be shooting 70 pounds within a couple months and likely won't ever notice the weight increase - except for probably needing stiffer spined arrows at some point.

And definitely concentrate on using those back muscles instead of the arms!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:07 AM

take arthur p's advice hes RIGHT ON TARGET

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.