HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shed Hunting/Skull Finding (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/56029-shed-hunting-skull-finding.html)

jimpok61 03-16-2004 04:39 AM

Shed Hunting/Skull Finding

The snows have finally receded and while shed hunting this past Sunday I headed for the thick crap. I worked pretty hard for about an hour and lo I came across an ol' doe skull. Not 5 minutes later I found a carcass of a 5 pt. approx. 1 1/2 yr. old buck. Yotes had cleaned him bare but thoracic skeleton and head were intact. Here I am out shedding and I come upon skulls and bodies. I collected both skulls so I could show my boy, Joe, the difference in their shapes and figured they might come in handy when he's studying environmental science, next fall in Syracuse, NY. While heading back in for dinner I looked skyward figuring I would spot a full moon smiling down upon my weary arse. No full moon but I must admit I felt a tad ghoulish hauling home my skulls. The Mrs. asked how my hunt went and I replied, " very good Dear, 2 skulls in the car trunk." She rolled her eyes heavenward and said that she had better start her evening prayers. I guess we are a strange bunch but we sure have fun, DOIN OUR THANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shed33 03-16-2004 09:02 AM

RE: Shed Hunting/Skull Finding

Very cool Jim,

Finding winter kills ...ie for what ever reason...are always cool to come across...in this country here, northern Idaho, cougars do a lot of damage and we find several dead deer and elk carcasses...congrats on your find..and I understand about the wife, mine gives me those looks sometimes too...

Shed

timberjack82 03-16-2004 09:54 AM

IM always looking for these kinda things when Im out fishing. I find alot of dead deer along the creeks. Last year I found an 8 point and a 5 point, and 3 does. All these skulls are home now and in the basement.

leffler 03-16-2004 11:52 AM

i once found a half rack 4 point by a creek bed

IL-Cornfed 03-16-2004 05:53 PM

I took the "troop" out Sunday and we had an AWESOME day looking for sheds. The kids were as excitied as I could have imagined.

shed33 03-16-2004 05:57 PM

Cornfed,

Great photos and nice sheds...congrats to you and your troops!

Shed

HAZCON7 03-16-2004 09:34 PM

Great pics IL-Cornfed! Good to see the kids involved!

Does anyone have any pictures of antlers laying as they were found before they picked them up. I'd love to see them

jimpok61 03-17-2004 04:11 AM

:) Il-Cornfed: Wowza! Talk about family fun. Super finds and I can see the kids had a hoot helping. Now that's what I call putting America back to work.

IL-Cornfed 03-17-2004 07:44 AM

HAZCON7,

Here are some shed pics, as they were laying. All from trophy class (P&Y) bucks.

Here's a pic of the habitat where basically I find most of my sheds. It's a mix of overgrown pastures filled with grasses, multiflora-rose, briars, and lots of brush.

DaveH 03-17-2004 03:32 PM

Those pics just reinforce my desire to retire to Illinois! My shed hunting trip here resulted in half of a small 3 point rack. I also found approx 1/2 dozen dead deer carcasses. One was a 20" wide 6 point and the rest were all small button bucks. The yahoos that were recently "turned loose" on the adjoining property have spent the season shooting at everything brown.