Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 state forced antler restrictions >

state forced antler restrictions

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

state forced antler restrictions

Old 03-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default state forced antler restrictions

good or bad?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:55 PM

Default RE: state forced antler restrictions

BAD, It would never fly!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:57 PM

depends how u look at it,. how your herd was before and if u like it as it is
Old 03-14-2004, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: bigdaddybowhunter

BAD, It would never fly!

I doubt it would either, but I bet there was a time when they said the same thing about fish. Never say Never! Who knows?. I don't think it would be a good idea either.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard that the majority of hunters in PA didn't like it at first but now they do.Is this the case?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Idaho, there are sections of the state in which there are antler restrictions. In these areas you can only shoot a 2 pt.(eastern 4 pt.) on a regular deer tag. To get a larger deer. You must draw a special tag to shoot anything larger. This both allowed the meat hunters to get their deer, and trophy hunters to get their big buck. We have an abundance of public land so it didn't leave anyone out. The issue would be tricky with the way the land is back east. In the areas that this was done. The deer herds are very strong and there is an abundance of large bucks. There are mulie bucks that are ranging in the upper 30 in class. The rest of the state falls under normal rules , outside of a portion in the middle of the state set up to maintain the whitetail herds. I have noticed that in these normal areas that the average buck is a 2 pt. and there is a huge ratio of does. So as to your area, I don't think that it will pass unless you have a larger area of public land.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say that I am for it now. I was skeptical when it started, but I have seen way more quality deer this past season than ever before. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it. I believe that the ratio of older deer is slowly going up, and we will continue to see great improvements.

So, in short, my vote is yes.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to say y not support it, I have seen to many gun hunters shoot what ever moves. Most of the time, I only seen when group hunting with guns are nothing but does and spike bucks. I wish I could manage my fathers land. Three of my niehbers will not shoot small rack deer but two other niehbers shoot what ever moves including fawns. I beleive in shooting does to manage the population and of course the meat, if it was up to me I would eat nothing but deer meet. I wish I could manage the land better but have to small of property to make a difference. The only way to make a difference in owning 10,000 acers.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

I say give it a try and I think hunters will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome, besides, there are plenty of does to go around for tasty steaks!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:48 PM

Good, we have a 3 Point Minimum or Antlerless resriction here in Washington, works out fine. You either take a 3 Point (On one side)buck or bigger, or you take a Doe. That way the bucks have a chance to mature before you shoot them.

Quick Reply: state forced antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.