Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 state forced antler restrictions >

state forced antler restrictions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

state forced antler restrictions

Old 03-15-2004, 12:41 PM

Default RE: state forced antler restrictions

here in MO this topic has been brought up. For those that are after trophy bucks, great. However, I am not nearly accomplished enough to pass up a 4 pointer either. Yes I understand that my chances will improve for a bigger buck, but I don't think the state should say what size buck I can or can't shoot on my own property. Also, and even more importantly, if I have my 13 year old son with me, and a forkhorn walks by, who's gonna be the one to tell him he can't shoot this deer because it is too small? Any size animal is a trophy to a child.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:37 PM

As a PA hunter myselft, I would have to agree with the restriction as being a good idea. Looking at it from a safety point of view; there are far too many people that like to shoot at whatever moves. Putting a restriction on antlers will not take care of this problem totally, but it will certainly help. From my personal experience over the past year or so the differences can also be seen in bucks being allowed to mature. As a beginner a number of years ago, I to fell in the category of hunters harvesting spike bucks, and that was mostly what you would see. So, I would say this is a greatly needed restriction especially since PA isn't really known for producing the biggest bucks like other states. I can't wait to see the quality of deer this year and years to come.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

PA isn't the only state where antler restrictions are used as a management tool. There are quite a few other jurisdictions, including WA, as Washington Hunter pointed out, and here in British Columbia. We are also seeing positive results.

But there are a number of reasons why such a policy might be instituted other than just making bigger bucks. Our buck/doe ratio was way out of whack because of years of buck-only seasons. Not only were there far too few bucks, but the ones left had to do enormous amounts of breeding and went into winter in scant condition, resulting in more mortality.

The changed management philosophy was multi-faceted. Limit was cut from 2 to 1, some does were opened up, and antler restrictions were imposed. After several years of this, the herd is much healthier, with more deer overall and bigger bucks in general.

I'm wondering about the limit in PA. If the bucks are getting bigger but the overall herd size is becoming noticeably smaller, perhaps the bag limit is too large.

One thing that has always made me raise my eyebrows is game management by public sentiment. I think it's presumptuous to believe the general public is capable of making better management decisions than the professional biologists we pay to make the decisions based on proper data. No, I'm not naive enough to think they always get it right. But they darn well better be trying to make policy that is best for the herd, even if the decisions are unpopular.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:00 PM

It would be fantastic for WI- In MT, WY, CO, UT etc shooting a doe or cow (elk) is not considered the same as many do in WI.

"I'm a meat hunter" some guys tell me, but then why do they pass up 15 does and shoot the spike? If you seriously are a meat hunter shoot the first animal that comes by your stand! That's a meat hunter, and I would back you up 100% but that's not what they are.

Slot limits and reduced take home bags were suposed to kill the Canadian fishing turist market, but the group we go with buys the conservation tag now. We eat all we can while we are there and throw the rest back.

The thing that would make that better is if every tag issued was an either sex tag. Some hunters don't want to pay extra for a gun/doe permit, and that's fine. So change the tag to either sex and then there are no excuses.

Good Hunt'n
Old 03-15-2004, 06:17 PM

Here in Mississippi, we have had antler restrictions for several years now, a buck must be a 4 pt or better. I think it has really helped our herd and helps to provide a more natural balance in age groups of bucks.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:22 PM

I think that Michigan should enforce an antler restriction. I consider myself a meat/trophy hunter. I pass up the small spikes and forkhorns and shoot lots of does and the occasional yet very rare 3 or more on one side buck.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

If there weren't an ample amount of does to shoot, then that would be different,but considering the overpopulation.........................
Old 03-15-2004, 07:36 PM

It was frowned on at first in Washington State but it is working and it is now even applied to some of our states elk herds with equal success.

I'm predominantly a meat hunter but I keep applying for a bull permit and I look forward to the challenge if and when I am drawn for the permit.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mrfritz44, good post. The one thing I would question though is that you feel that Alt has imposed a ""one policy fits all" stance that "doesn't work in all areas of the state."

The bag limit (in Pennsylvania) on does and the specific antler restrictions vary from county to county depending on density and other factors. I'm not sure I'd call that a "one policy" method.

Pennsylvania hunters seem to have had a very "buck only" attitude in the past. I knew of many hunters that felt that shooting any doe was not only wrong, but almost unethical somehow. Many of them felt that if they didn't kill something with antlers they didn't really succeed. It is no wonder the buck to doe ratio was completely out of whack after decades of that approach.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 AM

I like them.
aT least in my area. Ive seen a marked improvement in the quality and quantity of bucks. This is with a 5 inch forked antler rule.

Quick Reply: state forced antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.