HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   3 or 4 fletchings ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/55862-3-4-fletchings.html)

121553 03-14-2004 11:11 AM

3 or 4 fletchings ?

Is there any advantage to shooting a four fletch, 4" long feather to a 3 fletch, 5" feather? This guy at the sportsman show told me that no one ever shoots 3 fletch 5" feathers anymore and that I should change with the times. He asked me why I shoot 3 and I really didn't have an answer other than that, I always have. So do you have 3 fletchings or 4 and why? thanks, Bobby

stalkin steve 03-14-2004 10:18 PM

RE: 3 or 4 fletchings ?

I have always shot 3 5" fletches. I tryed 4" once but because I use 2 blade broadheads I had a lot more arrows plaining which really pi$$ed me off[:@]. Especially when your hunting:(. I asked my local pro and he said to change to longer fletches and I've had no trouble since. i think its because the extra inch of twist is enough to stabalize the arrows flight.

As for using 4 fletches, I've always used 3 and it works great for me. As well as the fact that with an extra fletch it increases the drag on your arrow (may only be a fraction but all the little things add up) therefore slowing your arrow down.

So I reckon if 3 fletches is working for you, don't fix what ain't broken!!;)

Chatchya round da ridges 121553, Stalkin Steve (well probably not cause I'm in Australia);)

Arthur P 03-15-2004 07:41 AM

This guy at the sportsman show told me that no one ever shoots 3 fletch 5" feathers anymore and that I should change with the times.
And he was trying to sell you... what? The guy's full of crap.

4" 4 fletch will give you more fletching surface area than 5" 3 fletch and will give the arrow slightly more stability. However, like Steve said, it will add a tiny bit more weight to the arrow, increase the drag and decrease your arrow speed. Not only that, it will cause more clearance issues with the rest (unless you use a dropaway) and be noisier. I think 4 fletch is okay if you like spending your time and money to get more problems than you started out with.

ijimmy 03-15-2004 08:00 AM

And he was trying to sell you... what? The guy's full of crap.

Auther got it right . I guess Im one of the "noones" and Im damed happy about it to . I switch from 3 4" feathers to 3 5" feathers last year and my fixed broadhead flight has realy improved . A guy that works in a "pro" shop should be trying to sell the things that will improve your archery experiance not make it more dificult , Like Auther said he probably has a bunch of 4" hes trying to get rid of .

BobCo19-65 03-15-2004 08:28 AM

I would also say not to trust that advice that you got. I used to be a big believer in four fletched, but recently went back to three 5 inch feathers with fixed broadheads. To tell you the truth, there really was not any real noticable difference between the two except for a little increased arrow speed with the three fletched due to reduced drag. I guess I could say tuning is a bit easier with the three flethced probably due to a better FOC and less contact issues (and that was with a drop away).

Techy 03-15-2004 09:23 AM

I shoot 3 4" vanes and I'll stick with it. Why mess with success?:D

121553 03-15-2004 09:52 AM

Some good points you guys brought up. He showed me that with 4 feathers you could nock the arrow any way and that there is less interference with the feathers hitting the rest. It looked like it made sense to me, but I thought I'd come in here and ask you guys. Maybe I'll just fletch up 2 or 3 arrows since I have a bitzenberger and see if I group any diff.
With four feathers @ 4" your shooting a total of 16"s of feather and with 3-5" of feathers your shooting 15", I would think the weight would be pretty dang close, thanks guys, Bobby

Epuller 03-15-2004 10:35 AM

I have always preferred the looks and the accuracy I have received with the 5" 3 fletch. I shoot trad and have not had any real problems with clearance with the 3. Can fletch 4 but have not seen any reason to use it.

I am in agreement with the others. I am not going to mess with what works.
A good amount of Helical really is what makes the difference in arrow stability. Shoot straight feathers and you will see that.