Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do >

What would you do

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do

Old 03-06-2004, 10:59 PM

Default RE: What would you do

All I can say is that's hunting. That's what brings you back. I would hope I had my camera with me and take a picture to show people. Have actually had something sort of like that happen. Had been watching this big bull elk on a hillside everyday for like a month. He was obviously not in good condition. He was limping and it looke like he wasn't gonna make it, but he was grazing on things so it looked like he had a shot to make it. All of the sudden he stopped showing up. I figured he had either died up on the hill of he was strong enough to go on. Sadly the next morning we figured out why he hadn't shown up. He had fallen down the hill and was laying in a creek bed but he was too weak to get up, quite a sad site to see. We decided to call the fish and game to come put the animal out of it's misery. Well like 5 hours later, when it is like a 30 minute drive maybe, they finally show up. They put it down and when we asked to have the horns they said if we wanted them we could go bid in the auction for them. Seems qui chicken sh!! to me but I guess it's how they work and that's a way they pay for conserving nature. We never did see the rack again and I think if I had to do it all over again I would call them still, unless I knew they would take so friggin long, which is just ridiculous of them. Point being I would never shoot an animal out of season and wish nobody had to poach to kill. Poachers aren't real hunters, they just wannabees IMO. All they do is help out these friggin tree hugging, animal lovin, environmentalists. It gives them something to pin on every hunter out there, including the law abiding ones. So no I wouldn't shoot the deer no matter how big.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

Everybody on theis board will say they wont shoot at a deer off-season. Ask this question at the PoachersBBS.com if you want to hear other opinions. Its like i use to try to tell people who dont like to hunt; its not about the killing. Its the whole picture from scouting till dinner. Shooting off-season is no good for nothing. If you cant buy the meat in your local supermarket i would be more than willing to share.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:52 AM

You shouldn't jump Zak's case until you know the WHOLE story as to why he has his bow with him.
I'm not jumping anybody's case. The post says:
You are out scouting with your bow and you see him at 20 yards.
Doesn't that say enough?

This off-season board is entertaining at times, but I am going to refrain from replying to most threads. Too many tempers tend to flare up. [&:]
Old 03-07-2004, 12:39 PM

Washington Hunter is right. I carry my bow in case I see a squirrel or rabbit.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:47 PM

Doesn't that say enough?
No, it doesn't. I've seen plenty of deer while scouting with my bow, some at 20 yards, some at 40 yards, the ranges vary. That doesn't mean I'm out there to shoot one of them.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sticking up for zak on this one. He is just asking an what if question so no need to jump on his case for that.

As for his quuestion I wouldn't shoot any game animal out of season. 10,000 animals are taken illegaly here in California already [:'(]
Old 03-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Shoot it, shoot it. Pay the fine. You would be hard pressed to see a 18 point buck at the end of the season let alone any buck two months after the end of the season. If you did, it's more than likely the fake one DNR like to use or someones front lawn fiqure. Neither of them won't taste very well.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I feel the same as Ray van Halm. It is not about the killing, it is the whole experience. If I dont have any luck hunting, I can go to the supermarket and buy meat. I live & hunt in a small town and we have had deer poached from our hunting land and have heard second and third hand how these guys got a nice 8 pt. by the gate (at night with spotlights)that goes to our hunting land. When they get drunk, they brag to thier friends about thier "hunting" success. It makes by Italian blood boil just talking about it!! It seems that we have had more trouble this year than in recent years with people hooking up 4 WD trucks to the cable gate and destroying it. We also had a Scouting Camera stolen this year. Keep in mind this is all private and well posted land.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:38 PM

To make it short and sweet would you shoot a deer out of season if you knew it would die soon.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:59 PM

NO!! not out of season.

I'm in the woods quite abit and my bow go's with me. Gray diggers are starting to come out now, i can shoot a stump or two, scouting for turkey's or looking for shed's.
Oh yeah, i just happen to have a couger tag in my pocket and can hunt them 10 mo. out of the year!!!
If i stumble a cross a dying deer, then i will have mother nature's predator table set before me!! If i can find the carcuss a day or to later!!............fishon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.